Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

Apparently TLJ is "hard hitting". So I guess Luke dies. :lol:

Nah, Yoda Luke will die of old age in the next movie.

Eh, at any rate, going to see it on Wednesday. Or rather, very early Thursday. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ermm... Spoiler alert:

Everyone dies ;)

Not in a film, meshback.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not in a film, meshback.

You haven't seen The Departed I take it.

Dignam lives. So does the woman, forget her name.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Actually, in Stalingrad everyone died. Bit grimderp but suppose it had to be that way

I think that the movie just didn't get a long enough runtime, otherwise they would have died too.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I think that the movie just didn't get a long enough runtime, otherwise they would have died too.

They should have had the rat get killed by a trap at the end, as well.

"Everybody" didn't die in the film version of The Mist, but that sure was a depressing ending and I felt like they may as well have.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh and I guess the Netflix-original film Bright with Will Smith is finally going to debut soon (the 22nd). The trailer makes me pretty dubious - looks like a fantasy-themed cross between Alien Nation and MIB - but since I have Netflix guess I'll check it out.

Will Smith's Fresh Prince/MIB/ID4 comedic acting persona is a bit stale by now tho, always feels like the same chr. I wish he'd change the mannerisms up a bit or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Smith has turned in some pretty good dramatic roles, even though he does kind of stick to a character type. Honestly if he never did anything after Six Degrees of Separation I would still respect him as an actor. That was a shocking performance from him.

Smith has turned in some pretty good dramatic roles, even though he does kind of stick to a character type. Honestly if he never did anything after Six Degrees of Separation I would still respect him as an actor. That was a shocking performance from him.

Yes he does well in some drama roles. Not saying "Will Smith" sucks or anything.

I just meant his comic persona, for me, has become routine/no surprise, thus I don't find it that funny anymore. It's like how I love/respect Robert DeNiro but after decades, at this point all I see/hear is "Robert DeNiro" on-screen and it kind of takes me out of the movie somewhat. Comedy in particular, at least for me, can get stale pretty fast and comedic actors need to either always have awesome new material or switch it up a little bit somehow so it doesn't feel like they're always on auto-pilot.

• Like 2

Johnny Depp... every character he plays is the same but with a different outfit and facial hair. (Excluding Edwards Scissorhands which was his freshest acting).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Johnny Depp... every character he plays is the same but with a different outfit and facial hair. (Excluding Edwards Scissorhands which was his freshest acting).

This is very much not true. The most you can say is that Jack Sparrow has bled into a few of his other performances.

So the guy from the Secret Window, Black Mass, Ed Wood and Jack Sparrow are the same?...Methinks you haven't seen enough Johnny Deep movies.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Fear and Loathing is one of my top 10 movies. I sometimes wonder if it's actually my favorite, since to this very day I find it to be one of the most re-watchable films amongst my favorites.

As far as playing a drunk goes, Raoul "Hunter S. Thompson" Duke is a significantly different performance than the swash-buckling Jack Sparrow.

Really I think what people are noticing is a consistency of what a director wants from him. He's worked with Tim Burton a multitude of times, and Gore Verbinski clearly has a certain expectation over what he wants out of Depp.

Let's not forget this guy also gave us Gilbert Grape, Chocolat, and Art of the Deal.

• Like 1

Most of Depp's best work (imo) was his pre-Pirates stuff. After Pirates, while he's done other drama roles (that were good to great), most of the "bigger budget" roles were in the oddball white-painted face mold. Hence his rep. with later generations. I mean he's always often played quirky, but later it becomes somewhat extreme. It's similar with Helena Bonham Carter. Chocolate Factory, Sweeny Todd, Alice in Wonderland 1 & 2, Dark Shadows, Lone Ranger, Into the Woods, even some of his voice roles etc.

Anyway, like many actors, they get rather typecast by Hollywood, so it's just become less frequent that one sees a Depp outside of that typecasting. I'm sure he's kinda sick of it by now too. :biggrin:

I would skip Tusk, however. Not that he was the main star in that. But ... what a weird movie. lol.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Yeah, after Pirates, he became very samey and don't get me started with Helena Bonham Carter... she's also the same in any movie now. Maybe it's because at that time, they were all hanging out with Tim Burton, who also always makes exactly the same stuff now. Kinda a shame, really.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."