Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

I loved that game as a kid but have no desire to see the movie

I loved the game and would love to see a movie adaption of it.

But by all appearances this isn't really an adaption of the game, but slapping the name of the game on a movie about giant animals because it has name recognition.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really hope this means we get a new Rampage game. Would love a next-gen reboot or re-imagining of the classic.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Justice League - Its structurally sloppy, but its heart seems to finally been in the place as the characters feel closer to what I'd expect they should be.

I'd disagree with Kermode that the characters aren't given enough to do, I thought they did a decent job actually with that.  I'd agree with him the story is a mess but I think a lot of his snark is just snark for snarks sake.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Haven't seen Justice League yet but...

I lolled. ;)

"I hate Marvel movies but I love this now that it's like one!"

-- Mike Stoklasa, probably talking about Volo. ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Except I have liked the DCU films from the very start... L0L

In fact, the 'comedy' (ie. The Flash) was the worst part of this film. One of the best scenes in the film was when Batman and Wonder Woman were talkin' trtash to each other. :) I prefer the 'dark' serious tone.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

On the topic of actors:

I definitely like Chiwetel Ejiofor and Cillian Murphy, altho the latter tends to be in productions that I don't find all that entertaining to watch. I tried Peaky Blinders once a long time ago (it was on Netflix, not sure if it still is) and while it's good quality, just not my thing. I might try it again one day.

I couldn't get into Ryan Gosling at all. I don't dislike him but he leaves me cold or just kinda bores me and at this point if he's a main lead I lose a lot of interest in a project.

Fassbender is, imo, great in the Alien prequels and I liked him in Xmen but other roles have fallen flat. Not sure if it's the projects or if he just has a rather limited range of what he's good with and that fits him.

J.K. Simmons is one of my fave older actors. He's amazing.

There's a lot of (what to me is) new generation actors where I've become used to their faces and I like in specific movies, but most of the actors that would be on fave lists for me, at this stage, are Korean, both film and drama. :p

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

For Volo...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Fassbender is, imo, great in the Alien prequels and I liked him in Xmen but other roles have fallen flat. Not sure if it's the projects or if he just has a rather limited range of what he's good with and that fits him.

On the contrary, I would say he has a very broad range and has done fantastic work across the board, with those two sagas being part of his less memorable work. Have you seen him in the Steve McQueen films (Hunger, Shame, 12 Years a Slave)? Those for me are clearly his best work to date and some of the best performances given by an actor of his generation, but also the likes of Fish Tank, Frank and Steve Jobs are fantastic on his part. I do think he's being typecast a little more these last few years as a brooding anti-hero type, perhaps which is why my fanatism has cooled down since the days of Shame, but all the same I find him to be probably the best actor of his generation.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Fassbender is one of the most versatile actors of our time imo, I'd rank him just under Daniel Day Lewis (who only wins for his sheer dedication)

Looking at just Shame, Frank and 12 Years a Slave gives a good indication of just awesome he is.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

On the contrary, I would say he has a very broad range and has done fantastic work across the board, with those two sagas being part of his less memorable work. Have you seen him in the Steve McQueen films (Hunger, Shame, 12 Years a Slave)?

I've seen:

12 years a Slave - good movie but I barely remember him in it. I know the role he plays but I mean he sorta disappeared from my memory after, vs. other performers.

Centurion - I saw this one before I knew who he was. I enjoyed it as a weird action film and I recall I thought he was adequate for the role, but ofc not exactly an Oscar-nom type of role, heh

The Counselor - Bored.

Steve Jobs - My main thought was "Sure is a lot better than that horrid Ashton Kutcher film." He was decent in the role but I could feel him "trying" to be Jobs and I dunno, it just fell flat for me. Some of this however could be that I'm really not all that into the whole Job's mythology so...

Assassins Creed movie - I turned it off after 20 minutes.

Anyway, I'm in no way saying he's terrible in other roles. He just kind of becomes invisible/doesn't stand out enough for me to form a big, lastingimpression most of the time, for some reason.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ I remember reading the book (and liking it a lot) when I was a kid, but that was maybe 35-40 years ago and I barely remember it now. It'll be interesting to watch it this way ... where I'm familiar with the concept but don't remember enough to have a lot of notions about what a filmed version "should" be.

On the contrary, I would say he has a very broad range and has done fantastic work across the board, with those two sagas being part of his less memorable work. Have you seen him in the Steve McQueen films (Hunger, Shame, 12 Years a Slave)?

I've seen:

12 years a Slave - good movie but I barely remember him in it. I know the role he plays but I mean he sorta disappeared from my memory after, vs. other performers.

Centurion - I saw this one before I knew who he was. I enjoyed it as a weird action film and I recall I thought he was adequate for the role, but ofc not exactly an Oscar-nom type of role, heh

The Counselor - Bored.

Steve Jobs - My main thought was "Sure is a lot better than that horrid Ashton Kutcher film." He was decent in the role but I could feel him "trying" to be Jobs and I dunno, it just fell flat for me. Some of this however could be that I'm really not all that into the whole Job's mythology so...

Assassins Creed movie - I turned it off after 20 minutes.

Anyway, I'm in no way saying he's terrible in other roles. He just kind of becomes invisible/doesn't stand out enough for me to form a big, lastingimpression most of the time, for some reason.

Do try to watch the others I've mentioned. Not just because they're great Fassbender performances, but because they're also very good films. :grin:

Maxim - Classic sci-fi Dune getting reboot

Apparently Denis Villeneuve is planning to take on a reboot of Dune now he's wrapped up Bladerunner 2049

Old news, but still super excited about it. Just got back from seeing Magma live who were supposed to score the Alejandro Jodorowsky version that never happened, so just sayin', it'd be lovely to give them the chance to share their bit for this again (not that it'd happen but oh well, it's nice to dream a little).

Apparently Denis Villeneuve is planning to take on a reboot of Dune now he's wrapped up Bladerunner 2049

Old news, but still super excited about it. Just got back from seeing Magma live who were supposed to score the Alejandro Jodorowsky version that never happened, so just sayin', it'd be lovely to give them the chance to share their bit for this again (not that it'd happen but oh well, it's nice to dream a little).

They would only work in a Jodorowsky interpretation of Dune, but very cool to daydream about none the less.

I'm really excited that they are making this a series, it's the proper treatment that the book always needed. It's probably the densest sci-fi/fantasy book I've ever read. It's practically as dense as a Dostoyevsky novel.

• Like 1

They would only work in a Jodorowsky interpretation of Dune, but very cool to daydream about none the less.

I'm not so sure about that. I think their compositions have the right amount of alien and spiritual in them to fit the source material to a tee. With the right conductor doing the arrangements for it, it could make for a wonderful mix with the source material and Villeneuve's sensibilities.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

It was very Luc Besson, and the lead was very po-faced and unemotional through most of it.

Atomic Blonde.

A nice action-thriller with all the ready mix of cold-war shenanigans, lies, more lies, and people not being who they say they are. Plus a nice sound track for those who grew up in that era.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Turned on TV, saw movie called Jonah Hex. Thought hmm,Josh Brolin, I'll check it out. 1st scene after animated intro I lol'd. Warped supernatural western seems like my thing. Then I saw Michael Fassbender. Cool! Settled in.

10-15 minutes later I was frowning, 10 more minutes I was net surfing with it still on. Then I turned it off. Sometimes a first impression is way off the mark.

The most recent King Kong type movie was on HBO. Kong: Skull Island, I think?

First half hour: "Why are they focusing so much on intro-ing these people when half are likely to be dead soon?"

2nd half hour: "See?"

When Samuel L Jackson first encounters Kong: (me shouting) "Ahab has found his white whale! bwhahaha"

Had some fun action and requisite humor bits (and Tom Hiddleston was lookin' good if I may say so) but eventually even the popcorn-entertainment value wore off what with all the "we don't own the world, *they* do" nonsense. That said, it's the first "Kong" movie where the attempt to make Kong sympathetic kind of worked on me. A tiny bit. It's lonely being one of a kind. :biggrin: