Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

I did see someone make a few comments about how Gosling is a great example of an actor who knows how to act minimally, with small expressions which is perfect for directors who like to convey things through edits that contrast things. As opposed to actors who overplay everything or do large and loud acting. De Niro's classic "You have to know when NOT to act some times."

I think the example they gave was in Driver, where his character is shopping, takes a turn down an aisle, stops, you get the cut to the woman with a kid, then cut back to Gosling and he moves away to another aisle. Without being twitchy or "obvious" that combination still managed to show his startlement at seeing them, his nervousness, and his careful move away to not interact.

Some people like that, some don't.  It can depend wildly on the type and tone of film I think.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I did see someone make a few comments about how Gosling is a great example of an actor who knows how to act minimally, with small expressions which is perfect for directors who like to convey things through edits that contrast things. As opposed to actors who overplay everything or do large and loud acting. De Niro's classic "You have to know when NOT to act some times."

I think the example they gave was in Driver, where his character is shopping, takes a turn down an aisle, stops, you get the cut to the woman with a kid, then cut back to Gosling and he moves away to another aisle. Without being twitchy or "obvious" that combination still managed to show his startlement at seeing them, his nervousness, and his careful move away to not interact.

Some people like that, some don't.  It can depend wildly on the type and tone of film I think.

I do prefer that form of acting myself, DeNiro in the Mission for instance when he stiffly states to his fiancee, "And me you do not love?" He screams hurt, rage and betrayal with just a little stiffness and intonation. Mr Gosling still leaves me cold however.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well.. lookie here lol Looks like that classic arcade machine game "Rampage" got some sort of AAA budget movie adaptation. Yes, it's real...

I actually had hopes for this when the cast was announced and such, but I thought they were making an action comedy! This would have been perfect for a similar blast of color, hilarity and kinetic energy as Thor: Ragnarok. But they're PLAYING IT STRAIGHT? Holy hell someone at that studio didn't get the source material.

Ryan Gosling is definitely capable of changing the tone. He is a completely different character in The Nice Guys. I don't know, he's easily my favorite actor of the current generation. I can't even really think of who is on his level in his age group. Will Smith? Jude Law? He's a bit younger than those guys. 

Ryan Gosling is definitely capable of changing the tone. He is a completely different character in The Nice Guys. I don't know, he's easily my favorite actor of the current generation. I can't even really think of who is on his level in his age group. Will Smith? Jude Law? He's a bit younger than those guys. 

Michael Fassbender would be my personal favorite from that generation, and Tom Hardy is up there for certain as well. Some actors who come to mind that I think are as good or better, or at least worthy of consideration (all within five years of Gosling's age):

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tahar Rahim

Oscar Isaac

Jake Gyllenhaal

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Method actors can be a bit weird.

I always remember the story of Dustin Hoffman going into film a scene Marathon Man after spending the weekend barely eating and with just a sip or two of water to "prepare" himself for it. He turned up looking shaky as hell, everybody thought they'd have to cancel filming and get him better. Laurence Olivier asked what was wrong, and he told them what he'd been doing. They looked amazed and shocked. Hoffman looked up at Olivier and the Director and said something to the effect of "How else am I supposed to do this scene??"

Olivier looked at him and replied "Dear boy, you act."

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Jake Gyllenhaal is easily my favorite out of that bunch.

Christian Bale is probably the best male actor in the business.

I can't think of a single movie that I especially liked either of them in but I'm weird, so...

Michael Fassbender would be my personal favorite from that generation, and Tom Hardy is up there for certain as well. Some actors who come to mind that I think are as good or better, or at least worthy of consideration (all within five years of Gosling's age):

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tahar Rahim

Oscar Isaac

Jake Gyllenhaal

Ejiofor is probably my favorite of that bunch followed by Hardy

PS my favorite Chiwetel Ejiofor movie is probably Redbelt

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I feel that Gyllenhaal comes across as one of the hardest-working actors right now. I just feel like he's putting 110% into every role he's in, even whilst the film around him may be an altogether forgettable affair. Which is a shame because based on the ones I've seen that's usually the case. He's long due for some more recognition and better roles.

Bale is fine for me but I wouldn't rate him above the ones I mentioned, or if we open up the scope to anyone in the business right now, the likes of Daniel Day-Lewis, Viggo Mortensen or Gary Oldman to name a few.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

I feel that Gyllenhaal comes across as one of the hardest-working actors right now. I just feel like he's putting 110% into every role he's in, even whilst the film around him may be an altogether forgettable affair. Which is a shame because based on the ones I've seen that's usually the case. He's long due for some more recognition.

Bale is fine for me but I wouldn't rate him above the ones I mentioned, or if we open up the scope to anyone in the business right now, the likes of Daniel Day-Lewis, Viggo Mortensen or Gary Oldman to name a few.

Heh... those 3 are the other guys I had in mind. But I thought we we're talking about a younger age group, so I didn't mention them.

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tahar Rahim

Oscar Isaac

Jake Gyllenhaal

Reported for neglecting Cillian Murphy.
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tahar Rahim

Oscar Isaac

Jake Gyllenhaal

Reported for neglecting Cillian Murphy.

I did consider him, actually. :grin:

Watched Justice League. Entetrianing film. It proves yet again  that DC > Marvel. No contest. That said,  nu Flash acted horribly and villain was worthless. But the other heroes/characters made up for it. Good stuff. 

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Michael Fassbender

Tom Hardy

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tahar Rahim

Oscar Isaac

Jake Gyllenhaal

That's a good list.

I feel like Christian Bale has fallen off quite bit, sadly. Does he have enough range to compete with some of these others?

To me all the big budget actors are terrible... Too overused, to the extent in which case I just only tolerate them anymore. If I had to go with one I'd probably pick Dicrapio I guess.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I feel that Gyllenhaal comes across as one of the hardest-working actors right now. I just feel like he's putting 110% into every role he's in, even whilst the film around him may be an altogether forgettable affair. Which is a shame because based on the ones I've seen that's usually the case. He's long due for some more recognition.

Heh... those 3 are the other guys I had in mind. But I thought we we're talking about a younger age group, so I didn't mention them.

A while back I made a list with some of my favorite actors. Here's the lot (in no specific order)...

Tatsuya Nakadai

Alec Guinness

John Gielgud

Michael Fassbender

Richard Burton

Daniel Day-Lewis

Gunnar Björnstrand

Toshiro Mifune

John Hurt

Takashi Shimura

Peter O'Toole

Gerard Depardieu

David Warner

William Holden

Laurence Olivier

Gary Oldman

Viggo Mortensen

Arturo Goetz

Jeremy Irons

Yves Montand

Bruno Ganz

Max von Sydow

Brendan Gleeson

Ken Ogata

Peter Falk

Oliver Reed

Michael Gambon

Federico Luppi

Michel Piccoli

Zbigniew Cybulski

Tony Leung Chiu Wai

David Thewlis

Marlon Brando

Jean-Louis Trintignant

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Richard Harris

Ricardo Darín

Edward Norton

Mads Mikkelsen

Nigel Terry

Kazuo Kitamura

Paul Newman

Peter Lorre

Kenneth Branagh

Peter Sellers

Klaus Kinski

This I think was roughly in 2012 or so. I think I would probably add the likes of Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tom Hardy, Mahershala Ali and Shahab Hosseini to the list too.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

Bale was fantastic in The Big Short. I'm really excited to see him play **** Chaney.

Speaking of Cillian Murphy, I really need to watch Peaky Blinders. As far as I know Murphy had no intention of being a film actor, he's simply a passionate play actor who was offered roles for the unique fact that he's Irish, then he got noticed for his work with Danny Boyle.

To me all the big budget actors are terrible... Too overused, to the extent in which case I just only tolerate them anymore. If I had to go with one I'd probably pick Dicrapio I guess.

I like Leo in some roles but to me he always comes across as an actor capable only of getting skin-deep into his characters. He's very histrionic and requires a lot of thespian-flexing to say very little. You compare his performance in The Departed to Tony Leung's in Infernal Affairs and the difference is stark, for me at least: it only takes a subtle glance by Tony Leung to capture the instability that Leo tries to show off by five minutes of frantic scenery-chewing. It fits some of his roles though - I think his best performance is probably in The Wolf of Wall Street because to me his histrionics are matched by the character and the film's aesthetics.

• Like 1

That's a solid list, I'm really not a Fassbender fan though.

I'd probably add Benicio del Toro, Ewan McGregor, Gregory Peck, and DiCaprio.

Man, Klaus Kinski... an actually monster. When one learns of an actors past actions, it can really soil watching their work. But with Kinski it's different. Herzog captured true unadulterated madness. He's easily one of my favorites, but the use of the word favorite has to be very very different than how it's used to describe any other actor.

My favorite movies with Dicrapio are Catch Me If You Can and Shutter Island. Shutter Island I found to be very underrated.

I really loved the cinematic feel for The Great Gatsby.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...