Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

I thought Fifth Element was dumb and not even David Bowie could save Labryinth.

Yeah, but you don't like anything.

I can't help my refined taste.

Actually you can. It's a state of mind. Being easily entertained is a positive trait.  :thumbsup:

Can't argue there. Unfortunately, some of us just are the way we are. :( Uptight and over-analytical children, the lot of us!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think a lot of it has to do with time, place, and preference more than anything else, really. Labrynth was a part of my childhood. There are plenty of things I just don't get. I'm sure Anime is special, but I've never gotten into it.

• Like 1

Just watch it so you can say you did :p

Barberella on Hulu... that contrversial intro lol and some Mad Max meets Lost In Space vibes.

I thought The Fifth Element was okay but much prefer The 6th Day and the remake of Total Recall. Just preference, just like I prefer the new Star Trek "trash" which for reasons I think is better than the old Star Trek. And these days I couldn't really care less for Stat Wars (old or new).

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

----The 5th Element for me was a mixed bag. There were some parts I really liked, and other parts that were just "wtf, I can't even." I did NOT like the Rhod character at all, but I am very much not a Chris Tucker fan in anything.

----I loved Labyrinth when I first saw it (on video) when I was an older teen. It is a fairly strange film, however. I'm not sure what I'd think of it if I saw it for the first time as a middle-aged adult.

----Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the other day. I'd agree with most critic reviews that it's entertaining/good but felt a bit forced in spots. "Trying too hard" or something. But still had plenty of hilarious/fun moments and the ending got to me a tiny bit. Mostly because I like Michael Rooker (I still think he was one of the best things of The Walking Dead).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The official title for the new Deadpool movie is now "Untitled Deadpool Sequel"

Also, here's the official plot description from IMDB:

"After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry's hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor - finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World's Best Lover."

• Like 4

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Alien (1979). Besides a few technical problems (the chief, of course, being why the hell are Ripley's underwear so uncomfortably small :p) and that horrible, idiot secondary female character, it was very good. Not sure what they were thinking by having her be as annoying as possible. I read that the actress hated the character, too, and she was apparently put in to "represent how the audience was feeling". Yeah, about that...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The sad thing about Alien is how the sequels never match the horror. For all its extreme faults I enjoyed Prometheus much more than Aliens or Alien 3/4.

Anyways I'm setting up a watch list for next week, so far got Pan's Labyrinth and TheWind that Shakes the Barley.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

----Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 the other day. I'd agree with most critic reviews that it's entertaining/good but felt a bit forced in spots. "Trying too hard" or something. But still had plenty of hilarious/fun moments and the ending got to me a tiny bit. Mostly because I like Michael Rooker (I still think he was one of the best things of The Walking Dead).

Agreed. There are so many moments in Guardians 2 where they just have to hammer something in. I liked the movie a lot but those moments really take me out of it because it's trying so hard.

- Aww, Rocket pushes everyone away because he doesn't want to be vulnerable "you push away anyone who's willing to put up with you 'cause just a little bit of love reminds you of how big and empty that hole inside you actually is." Um, okay. Yeah, that's what I thought.

- Haha, Taserface is a dumb name. Hah, there it is again. Hm, it's not that funny the third time. Oh come on!

- Damn, I think Nebula's mad because Gamora was supposed to be her family - "I JUST NEEDED A SISTER" that's a bit on the nose...

- Aww, Peter just threw that little energy ball - he's finally playing catch with his dad! Oh, now they're actually PLAYING CATCH. IN SLOW MOTION.

- He does care! Yondu's hard on Rocket because he doesn't want him to turn out like him - oh wow that's a long speech about Yondu and Rocket being the same.

- Hah, Drax is so disgusted by Mantis. He really has no filter! I can't believe he said that. Okay, now he's just being mean. Okay Drax, you can stop telling this poor woman how ugly she is now!

- Oh **** Star-Lord's special powers aren't working because he's overthinking it. "I DONT USE MY HEAD, I USE MY HEART."

- Aww, Peter realizes he had a father all along - "BUT HE AIN'T YOUR DADDY SON" "I guess I had a cool dad all along!"

It's like, movie, please, STAHP. We were already on board with this! You're ruining it by going "didya get it? didya get it?"

Edited by TrueNeutral

I loved both Guardian films, each for different reasons. I could watch that Baby Groot dance intro over ahd over lol

The Marvel movies that I probably won't watch again are the Hulk ones. They just felt so sloppy and misplaced. Broken, really.

Spider-Man Homecoming was decent. I think they finally made Vulture relatable and likable. I always hated his character in comics, cartoons and games.

My hope is that they make a Spider-Man film where Spider-Man is experienced and in his last year of college. I get tired of seeing Spider-Man re-learning how to use his powers and become Spider-Man :p But taking it to the next level where Spider-Man is older, more mature and professional hero (prime of his comic timeline) That would be amazing.

For that reason I applaud Insomniac games for making a game based on a more experienced hero, even with the inclusion of Miles Morales - whom old fans love to hate because he's the new Spider-Man.

Anyways, I still think/hope Black Panther is as amazing as the trailers suggest!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Well.. lookie here lol Looks like that classic arcade machine game "Rampage" got some sort of AAA budget movie adaptation. Yes, it's real...

• Like 1

Blade Runner 2049, i'm afraid to say that apart from the visuals I was just not very impressed, though the young hologram lady was rather...bracing.

In my humble opinion it needed Vangelis desperately, some draconian editing and plotting improvements at an early stage, an antagonist as strong as Mr Batty, and probably most importantly less of a charisma vacuum in the lead role.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Blade Runner 2049, i'm afraid to say that apart from the visuals I was just not very impressed, though the young hologram lady was rather...bracing.

In my humble opinion it needed Vangelis desperately, some draconian editing and plotting improvements at an early stage, an antagonist as strong as Mr Batty, and probably most importantly less of a charisma vacuum in the lead role.

Can't really agree here outside from it needing a stronger antagonist. As far as plotting goes I felt this film did a much better job than the original, and also felt Ryan Gosling was excellent in the role. A key difference between both films for me and why I think I give the edge to the newest is because this time around they manage to integrate the replicant/human dichotomy and existential themes into the protagonist's character arc, whereas for me Deckard never felt that involved in the story in Blade Runner - it was mostly Batty's story for me. In terms of pacing I thought it was absolutely perfect, I'm glad a film with this sort of budget and reach takes its time to develop and indulge in moods and atmospheres, to an almost Tarkovsky-like degree. However, if it is because you think certain scenes or elements within the script could have been cut or reworked a little (the replicant revolution and so on), that is something I could agree with too I reckon.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

However, if it is because you think certain scenes or elements within the script could have been cut or reworked a little (the replicant revolution and so on), that is something I could agree with too I reckon.

Exactly.

Mr Gosling may be a personal matter, he has always left me cold in every role i've seen him in, a male equivalent of Jennifer Lawrence if you will. Whereas I found Mr Ford quite appealing even when playing it Bogart in the original, he had a certain likeable boyishness that still glimmers in his eyes even now.

Edit: Just one of the reasons why I let him live in the denouement atop the Bradbury.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!