Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

I only vaguely remember seeing commercials for Lucy...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Portman, though, I feel she can be fantastic given the right role. She's surprised me a few times with the amount of gravitas and physicality she could lend some of her performances even when looking like someone you could pin to a wall with your little finger (no sexual allegories intended). Most recently I thought she was stupendous in Jackie, which is probably the best film I saw from 2016.

Jackie was phenomenal, even more so when I saw it's scenes compared to real film archives are real conversations. Other than camera angle and color, it's almost a cinematic recreation of documented history.

• Like 1

Portman, though, I feel she can be fantastic given the right role. She's surprised me a few times with the amount of gravitas and physicality she could lend some of her performances even when looking like someone you could pin to a wall with your little finger (no sexual allegories intended). Most recently I thought she was stupendous in Jackie, which is probably the best film I saw from 2016.

Jackie was phenomenal, even more so when I saw it's scenes compared to real film archives are real conversations. Other than camera angle and color, it's almost a cinematic recreation of documented history.

What's interesting is that the film is precisely about that too: it's about the act of writing or forging the historical narrative, an 'official story' of sorts. The whole film revolves around the effort of creating an event with the deliberate purpose of immortalizing the figure of JFK and the shooting and so on, all as seen through the frame of a magazine column that is shown time and time again to be directed, rewritten and manipulated by its figure. No, also by Pablo Larraín, is also very much in this style, even if capturing a very different event, setting and era, but still doing so using the tools of the time (video in that case). Also have to give a shoutout to Mica Levi's score which is absolutely magnificent.

• Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It's painful to sit through. If it was just Bruce Willis screwing around doing his usual bit, it would be an alright flick...but most everyone else in that movie, Jojovich especially, makes me want to rip my eyes out and my ears off.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Especially Ruby Rhod. He's mostly why I had to mention "ears" in the previous post. :p

It's painful to sit through. If it was just Bruce Willis screwing around doing his usual bit, it would be an alright flick...but most everyone else in that movie, Jojovich especially, makes me want to rip my eyes out and my ears off.

Exactly. It's absolutely insufferable, one of those films whose following genuinely baffles me.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely one of those movies you pretend to like just so people on the internet will leave you alone about it.

I actually do like it. Honest.

Hey, that's a pretty good idea.

• Like 2

And here me and my friends make each other laugh by randomly yelling Multipass at each other.

But yeah, that's fair. I have some movies whose following I don't understand. Like Labyrinth. That movie has nothing going for it except the designs. The most likeable character is the pedophile baby-napping villain! And how did you make David Bowie write such bad songs? FOUR of them?

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

Recently re-watched this - still best in its genre

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064546/

If you can digest east Europe language with subs you should defo try this

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And here me and my friends make each other laugh by randomly yelling Multipass at each other.

But yeah, that's fair. I have some movies whose following I don't understand. Like Labyrinth. That movie has nothing going for it except the designs. The most likeable character is the pedophile baby-napping villain! And how did you make David Bowie write such bad songs? FOUR of them?

I agree there as well, though I guess I can understand the nostalgia factor involved in seeing it at a very young age and having it be part of your childhood. In Bowie's case, it was around the time he made Tonight and Never Let Me Down, so no surprises there. :lol:

Edited by algroth

That looks pretty interesting, I'll check it out. I would also recommend from the same era of Czech cinema and dealing with a similar period if not necessarily the same theme, The Valley of the Bees and The Devil's Trap by Frantisek Vlacil. And, if you're in a more adventurous mood, also Marketa Lazarova. Superb stuff right there.

Edited by algroth

That looks pretty interesting, I'll check it out. I would also recommend from the same era of Czech cinema and dealing with a similar period if not necessarily the same theme, The Valley of the Bees and The Devil's Trap by Frantisek Vlacil. And, if you're in a more adventurous mood, also Marketa Lazarova. Superb stuff right there.

If you are into this you defo need to watch this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063633/?ref_=nv_sr_1

BTW not sure why its marked as comedy, I never find it a bit funny

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Already have! :p It's in my all-time top 20. Superb film, very weird and disturbing, and Rudolf Hrusínský's performance is amazing. Glad to know another here has seen it! Juraj Herz's Morgiana and The Beauty and the Beast are also great.

Edited by algroth

That's it, go in the hole with Bart! How dare you?!?

• Like 1

Already have! :p It's in my all-time top 20. Superb film, very weird and disturbing, and Rudolf Hrusínský's performance is amazing. Glad to know another here has seen it! Juraj Herz's Morgiana and The Beauty and the Beast are also great.

Well I am Czech so I am quite familiar with it :)

• Like 1

And on the subject of superhero films, and since I like to trigger Volo, the reviews for Justice League are in and unsurprisingly they play out largely as expected. This quote from Eric Kohn seems pretty on-point with regards to the general response thus far:

"Taking more than one page from Marvel’s first “Avengers” installment, “Justice League” rounds up the current spate of active D.C. franchise superheroes, and the resulting 119-minute pileup of showdowns and one-liners is an undeniably tighter, more engaging experience. It’s also a tired, conventional attempt to play by the rules, with “hold for laughs” moments shoehorned between rapid-fire action — a begrudging concession that the Marvel formula works, and a shameless attempt to replicate it."

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/justice-league-review-zack-snyder-joss-whedon-avengers-1201897286/

Pretty good review overall too, though I'll have to see the film before seeing if I agree with it or not. Still, speaks to my expectations. One for home viewing, for certain.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

I thought Fifth Element was dumb and not even David Bowie could save Labryinth.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I thought Fifth Element was dumb and not even David Bowie could save Labryinth.

Yeah, but you don't like anything.

I can't help my refined taste.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands