Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

For some reason I get a Bioshock/Cthulhu vibe when I see this:

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Blade Runner (1982). I thought it was mostly good. Actually, my biggest problem was with Harrison Ford, to be honest. I watched the "final cut" if that makes any difference, but man, it seemed like he just wasn't really into the role...on top of his character being a bit of a jerk, too. Don't really understand what was going on there. Besides that, it was pretty good.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

S. Korean films:

A Hard Day -   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3697626/    - dark crime satire+action/thriller, and I laughed a lot, especially in the first 1/3. Ridiculous but entertaining about a cop who does a hit and run/tries to cover it up and is then tormented/hassled by someone who witnessed it. I was entertained.

I also will watch almost anything that Park Sung-Woong is in (if you have Netflix you may have seen him in Man to Man), and found A Violent Prosecutor (crime, prison/courtroom, drama) and For the Emperor (action, thriller) enjoyable films.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally got around to watching Alien:Covenant.

The first 40ish minutes had me mildly interested but as soon as they reached the planet I started groaning at all the horror-101 stupidity cliches. Send nearly all of your crew down. No helmets. "Trick" ending things that trick no one in the audience. They even had a shower scene for crying out loud. I had to pause the movie twice and putter in the kitchen for a few minutes each time in order to tolerate it. The aliens, visuals, music/sound effects were effective/good and Katherine Waterson at least convinced me her chr. had some common sense. Fassbender's performance, just like in Prometheus, is the main draw of this film. Did I hate the movie? No. It just wasn't good/distracting enough to be able to make me ignore the idiocy, like some movies can/do. I mean I can rewatch the original Alien and have more sympathy for every single one of those crew members than I did for anyone in Covenant. Talk about death by number.

The David character kept making me think of Asimov's R. Daneel Olivaw chr. A psychotic with delusions of grandeur version, of course but...I wonder if that was a somewhat intentional influence or if it's just that such themes re: artificial/created beings have become rather universal. I'd still kill for a good mini-series or movie trilogy of one or more of the Robot Novels, and Fassbender might make a pretty good Daneel. Not sure who would play Elijah Baley tho. :)

Thomas Kretschmann as Baley would be my suggestion. Or Idris Elba.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Speaking of Idris Elba...

If you liked The Edge, Vertical Limit, 8 Below, or The Grey then you'll probably enjoy this.

• Like 1

Thor Ragnarok

While I watched it, I thought it was pretty good, but on reflection, not much depth, it felt more like a parody, with all the comedy, great SFX, Blanchette is very good in it too, but overall, a bit meh.

MCU has made Thor a comedy relief, which is strange because he never really was in the comics or any of the cartoons... well unless we're talking about Throg (Frog version of Thor). MCU has pretty much given Thor the "All brawns, no brain" element which makes him not unlike Hercules or Conan The Barbarian. I guess it makes sense that they would do that on the screen though, it seems to tranlate well.

I can't wait for Black Panther. I only hope they introdce some more hero movies (with different heroes).

But yes, Marvel movies squash the DC movies... the same can't be said for the tv shows. Marvel tv shows aren't doing so well while DC tv series such as Smallville, Arrow, etc remain top rated. Strange but that's just the way things work I guess.

Indeed!

They had the BP Trailer on before Thor, can't wait for that!

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Could we try using the spoilers tags for these details? I don't intend to watch that but I wouldn't want to learn of a dog's fate (whether positive or negative) for a film I would want to see as it likely indicates how future events involving the rest of the characters develop as well.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I've not seen the movie, they announced the dogs fate in the promotional material because they were afraid people might skip the movie if something happened to the dog

Sure, but it's still a spoiler. :p

And we discussed it just last month too 

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've not seen the movie, they announced the dogs fate in the promotional material because they were afraid people might skip the movie if something happened to the dog

Sure, but it's still a spoiler. :p

And we discussed it just last month too 

We did? Huh. If we did, sorry for bringing it up, I don't really recall (though I do recall us discussing about why people get so touchy with dogs dying in film). But still, I think it would be good to keep it in mind the next time that tidbit is shared.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I still want someone other JJ doing episode 9

I wanted Rian, but JJ is perfectly acceptable imo. Episode 9 is more collaboratively written anyways and he seems fine as a director.

I'm really impressed by their confidence in Rian, and 8 seems to be turning into quite the gem.

This popped up in my YouTube feed today, it seems to be (essentially) drawing inspiration of Clue, from what I can tell...

• Like 1

Speaking of Idris Elba...

If you liked The Edge, Vertical Limit, 8 Below, or The Grey then you'll probably enjoy this.

If you liked Vertical Limit I can show you the door.

Heja Sverige!!

lf you liked Vertical Limit I can show you the door.

Too late, I bought it on dvd & blu-ray :p #RipBillPaxton

Quality!

Moar:

https://unreasonablydangerousonionrings.com/2014/12/08/i-watched-vertical-limit-again-so-you-dont-have-to/

I mostly hate it because I saw it in a theater and it took all my willpower not to abandon the film halfway through. Try Touching the Void for a proper climbing movie.

• Like 2

Heja Sverige!!