Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

is it noir or is it action packed?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

is it noir or is it action packed?

Kinda neither? Definitely more of the former, but the films it resembles the most in my opinion are Stalker and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. It's very moody and contemplative, quite slow, with the action by and large respecting the pace and ideas-over-noise approach of the Batty/Deckard chase - but the greater chunk of the film is much more about indulging in a Zone-like aura than it is anything else.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Shame, was kind of hoping it'd be garbage.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I caught Spiderman Homecoming.

Holland managed to capture the geek side of Parker without it being too awkward, and Keaton managed to combine a mixture of sympathy and ruthlessness in his portrayal of Vulture. Favreu's turn as Happy Hogan again is a nice link, but it plays a bit too much one dimensional joke to really mesh well for me.

Still, I was amused by the Captain America "Patience" video at the end of the credits.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'd even bang Tom Cruise cos it's as close as I'm gonna get to banging Sofia Boutella tbh! :)

What gets me the closest to both Salma Hayek and Jennifer Connelly? Antonio Banderas maybe?

What's he doing these days?

Jared Leto.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Watched the new Blade Runner. 

What the hell... it was actually... pretty damn good? And not like, "this is a great action movie!". It was actually pretty slow moving, plenty of long shots, plenty of silence, plenty of beauty.

Really pleasantly surprised I must say.

• Like 3

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Well AT-ATs again. Rey on track to lose a foot. Also wonder why Luke downgraded his hand

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What the hell... it was actually... pretty damn good? And not like, "this is a great action movie!". It was actually pretty slow moving, plenty of long shots, plenty of silence, plenty of beauty.

I haven't seen the original since it's release, I wasn't particularly bowled over by it enough to remember more than the basic premise, would I need to rewatch it, or could I go into the new one with just the basic knowledge?

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

I haven't seen the original since it's release, I wasn't particularly bowled over by it enough to remember more than the basic premise, would I need to rewatch it, or could I go into the new one with just the basic knowledge?

Do not watch the theatrical cut then. There have been a few different Directors Cut editions released. They are much better. Ridley Scott didn't have the juice to tell the studio heads to bugger off when they were screwing up his movie in 1986. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Do not watch the theatrical cut then. There have been a few different Directors Cut editions released. They are much better. Ridley Scott didn't have the juice to tell the studio heads to bugger off when they were screwing up his movie in 1986.

Cool, have it on Blu-ray in the attic, think there's a couple of versions on it, cheers!

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

And to add to that, I think it probably is a good idea to rewatch the original to refresh your memory. The new one is its own thing but it ties pretty heavily into the story of the old one. I think if one didn't remember it at all or hadn't seen it, some of it would be a bit confusing probably.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

1982, surely?

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1982, surely?

I stand corrected!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Any of you watch the new Star Wars trailer? I'm conflicted because I want to avoid spoilers but the Star Wars trailers have generally been pretty spoiler-free so far. The director originally said "might no want to watch if you don't want to be spoiled" but now he was like "I TAKE IT BACK WATCH IT WATCH IT". I generally restrict myself to "1 teaser, 1 trailer" when it comes to movie previews but Star Wars is a bit more special IMO. What are your impressions? Should I watch or avoid?

EDIT: Regarding Blade Runner, it's one of those films that I've technically seen entirely but never once in sequence. I always pick up bits and pieces and I like them but whenever I sit down to watch it it feels kinda slow and I end up getting distracted. Maybe I was watching the wrong edition, what's generally regarded as the superior cut? I've been interested in the sequel especially because the director's really good, so maybe that's the impulse I need to finally get through it.

(Note that I'm not trying to make it sound like a boring movie, I just have ADHD-ADD combined and I have trouble with slow paced films.)

Edited by TrueNeutral

I thought the SW trailer was fine - I think the way its edited there may be a lot of setting up McGuffins rather than really revealing anything.

1982, surely?

I stand corrected!

And don't call you Shirley?

I liked Blade Runner 2049, there's a lot going on.  I will say as a mass market film, the glacial pacing is surely to work against it, but it sets up some interesting ideas and themes to meditate on.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watch the trailer, the director changed his mind about warning people

• Like 1

I would say some familiarity with the first film is required for Blade Runner 2049, particularly because some of the mysteries/questions regarding two of the central characters of the former are at the heart of the plot for the latter. At the same time, however, it isn't *mandatory* to do so. Also I would say that it's curious that it's Blade Runner's premise that stuck with anyone over the sheer aesthetic design, considering how nebulous the former is and how it's the latter where much of the film's brilliance and innovation comes from.

For anyone asking, I'd say the final cut (2007 I think) is the version to watch, but the 1992 director's cut is essentially the same albeit with some continuity errors and the likes that got resolved in the final cut (probably the biggest one being the number of escaped replicants). All the same, these should by and large provide a similar experience. The theatrical cut should by this time be avoided. It's certainly a 'slow' film (as is the new one), but I don't see why you ought to have much trouble with it if you are into the films of, say, Stanley Kubrick and the likes. The newest actually does seem to take things even slower, but I loved the way it allowed one to immerse themselves in the atmosphere instead.

As for the Last Jedi trailer, I think it's being cryptic enough about the plot but I can see a world where it could be quite spoilery in hindsight. Also...

whatsapp_image_2017_10_10_at_10_17_34_am

• Like 1

The director stated an influence by Tarkovsky; I'd say the pacing of BR2049 demonstrates that pretty well.  It is a very deliberately paced film.

• Like 3

It's certainly a 'slow' film (as is the new one), but I don't see why you ought to have much trouble with it if you are into the films of, say, Stanley Kubrick and the likes. The newest actually does seem to take things even slower, but I loved the way it allowed one to immerse themselves in the atmosphere instead.

To be clear, I don't think slow films are a quality issue. Slow pace isn't bad. A lot of slow films are really good. But I have issues with the act of watching slow films due to my brain-no-worky-good which just makes it more difficult for me to watch them.

It's certainly a 'slow' film (as is the new one), but I don't see why you ought to have much trouble with it if you are into the films of, say, Stanley Kubrick and the likes. The newest actually does seem to take things even slower, but I loved the way it allowed one to immerse themselves in the atmosphere instead.

To be clear, I don't think slow films are a quality issue. Slow pace isn't bad. A lot of slow films are really good. But I have issues with the act of watching slow films due to my brain-no-worky-good which just makes it more difficult for me to watch them.

Sure, I was just adding my own experience to the matter. Since others were asking I was hoping to not dissuade them for watching the original. For what it's worth I also have ADD and I was okay with the film's pace, if you ever decide to give it another go.

• Like 1

Any of you watch the new Star Wars trailer? I'm conflicted because I want to avoid spoilers but the Star Wars trailers have generally been pretty spoiler-free so far. The director originally said "might no want to watch if you don't want to be spoiled" but now he was like "I TAKE IT BACK WATCH IT WATCH IT". I generally restrict myself to "1 teaser, 1 trailer" when it comes to movie previews but Star Wars is a bit more special IMO. What are your impressions? Should I watch or avoid?

It does spoil one thing all right: The movie should be called "The First Order Strikes Back" and be done pretending it's anything else. Except Ben Solo not being able to yell "I am your father!" at Rey unless he started screwing around really early.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.