Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

I just got back from Atomic Blonde.  Solid spy action movie.  Charlize Theron was great, as per usual.  James McAvoy poured the dirtbag routine on a bit too thick to keep the suspense up, so the twists were a bit predictable.  Still not a terrible plot, just nothing special.  The star of the show was the action, particularly the fight scenes, which were Wickian (on par with John Wick [very much a compliment]).  There is one rather lengthy fight sequence in particular which is all types of rad and super duper brutal.  They definitely left it open to a sequel, and I hope they make it a franchise (they probably will if it makes money, everyone is trying to make everything into a franchise these days) as I'm very much down with Charlize Theron as a super badass action hero. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Watched the Dark Tower over the weekend.

Truth in Advertising, I had an unrevised version of the Gunslinger (from 1988) and was never able to get into it so never really paid much attention to the Dark Tower other than reading musings about how all of King's other work fit in.

Its sort of a throwback action film; classical structure, classical story beats.  Its not a ground breaking spectacle (which, for fans, may be enough to break the film for their enjoyment) but I thought it was a film that succeeded at its mild ambitions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I had an unrevised version of the Gunslinger (from 1988) and was never able to get into it so never really paid much attention to the Dark Tower other than reading musings about how all of King's other work fit in.

similar experience.  back in the late 80s we were kinda shocked to realize we enjoyed a couple king short stories, and so a friend loaned us the gunslinger. couldn't get past the first 60 pages after multiple attempts.  never finished a king novel, but am thinking a few o' his short stories is actual underrated by the new yorker crowd.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I loved the Dark Tower series many years ago (back when it was still 7 books, rather than 8 ), but I wonder how well it translates to movies ? (judging by the reviews, not very well)  It might work better as a TV series as the books are very much a slow burn.  I mean, there are certainly moments of intense action, but overall it's a very slow moving epic that spans a very long time with long periods of downtime.  Purposely so, there is very much a point to it being an extremely long and tedious journey.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finally saw Wonder Woman, was alright, nothing too amazing.  Found the fight scenes kind of meh for the most part, but wasn't a boring watch..  Had a feeling I knew the guy who played Sameer, he was in the music video for Gunman's World.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ive read the Dark Tower books a few times and love them still today, but yeah, sometimes King is just way, way, way too wordy. Last few times I read the books, I simply skipped all the boring and longwinded parts... which in the end made it a much shorter experience... but a better one. I think he really needed a good editor to cut all the overflow.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Ive read the Dark Tower books a few times and love them still today, but yeah, sometimes King is just way, way, way too wordy. Last few times I read the books, I simply skipped all the boring and longwinded parts... which in the end made it a much shorter experience... but a better one. I think he really needed a good editor to cut all the overflow.

Overflow doesn't really cut it I think. Wizard and Glass is 800 pages of backstory for what's worth maybe a hundred pages of useful history and Wolves of the Calla is a 700 page retelling of The Magnificent Seven (down to the characters joking that the plot it feels like The Magnificent Seven) with the only purpose to have the party split up at the end.

I liked the two books on their own but in terms of fitting into the Dark Tower story King could easily have fused them into a 300 page gap filler between Blaine (who rhymes with Pain!) and Susannah giving birth without missing anything.

edit:

And to think he actually released another book with backstory for everyone who didn't have enough of it during Wizard & Glass.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Re: IT the new film

The trailer would have me believe the movie will have better creepy atmosphere than the mini-series (not hard to do, really). I liked the mini-series ok (the spider-IT was poorly done, tho), especially the children's sections, but I don't mind new adaptations of it either. That said, I always have reservations about King film adaptations of his long novels, simply because of length. King's short stories or novella's usually transfer to film better. Maybe if they made it a two-movie type of film thing. I'd rather wish for a new mini-series, like Netflix doing it, or HBO, or Amazon, or whoever.

And for me, young Stuttering Bill will always be Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I thought he was perfect casting back when. The kid in the film trailer doesn't appeal to me at all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The new IT film is only the kids story from the book; the story of the adults will not be told in this film.  In a way its probably the best way to pare the novel down for a singular film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Re: IT the new film

The trailer would have me believe the movie will have better creepy atmosphere than the mini-series (not hard to do, really). I liked the mini-series ok (the spider-IT was poorly done, tho), especially the children's sections, but I don't mind new adaptations of it either. That said, I always have reservations about King film adaptations of his long novels, simply because of length. King's short stories or novella's usually transfer to film better. Maybe if they made it a two-movie type of film thing. I'd rather wish for a new mini-series, like Netflix doing it, or HBO, or Amazon, or whoever.

And for me, young Stuttering Bill will always be Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I thought he was perfect casting back when. The kid in the film trailer doesn't appeal to me at all.

The producers said the trailers mostly used takes of Stuttering Bill unused in the film, because the stutter could ruin the flow of the trailer. Weird, but that's what they said.

Jaeden Liebenher's actually a pretty good kid actor though. I saw him in Aloha (**** film) and Playing it Cool (an actually good romcom) and he was good in both. I'm more excited about Finn Wolfhard as Richie though - perfect casting. That kid is hilarious.

Finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Entertaining, amusing. Treads the boards between being campy space pulp adventure with dashes of serious emotion and philosophy hidden in the background.

Do kind of wonder why Stallone rated opening credits since he was basically a cameo - who, okay, had like 3 brief scenes in the total film. Was caught out by Michelle Yeoh's cameo, a nd the voice of Miley Cyrus?

Of course, I've now got the GotG Inferno song stuck in my head on loop.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Would love to see T2 in 3D.

I don't know if I should be excited to finally see a good Terminator movie at the theatre again or annoyed with the obvious cash grab.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

When it's not shot in 3d, as I undestand it, someone has to go back and digitally manipulate each image to create the depth field.

The male lead actor is woefully miscast.

I really do not understand their choice here at all - Valérian is a little old and more of a classic sci-fi cowboy, who relies on his quick-draw and smooth talker skills to get him out of trouble. With Laureline being the actual competent one of the two.

While I have respect for DeHaan in some of his other roles, he's way too young and the role was written much more like a renegade Commander Shephard. Didn't fit the source material at all.

as i said elsewhere, the trailer for this turned me away. i knew nothing of the original comic when i saw the trailer. i heard of it in passing in reviews of the movie but this opinion is what i formed just from the trailer, before i even knew there was source material.

the trailer shows 2 unknown characters that look to be in their late teens be the top special agents of a federation of 1000 civilizations. a federation that big yet unable to defend itself from a threat that can end it in just 12 hours and somehow, these 2 teenagers are supposed to be capable of finding and eliminating that threat. the premise itself is outlandish, considering we do not deal with established and known characters (and world) from whom we know what to expect. so a 2 hour film they need to cram in all we need to know about the characters and all we need to know about the world they live in just to make a plot that is based on an outlandish premise feel coherent. and so the question comes naturally to mind "with all that, where will they find the time to fit a compelling story in all this", followed instantly by the scene of the 2 flirting on the beach which just sends the answer "they can't, this will be a bad film with no substance".

and the reviews i've seen seem to confirm it

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Funnily enough, neither lead is played by a teen, nor are the characters supposed to be teens in context of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-man is good, but 2 hrs 13 min if time is a factor. Like algroth can't vouch for the other two.