Movies You've Seen (or would like to see) Recently

Rosbjerg

Latest post in last thread.

Was about to share that. I'm not too convinced... It looks intriguing but I'm getting a bit of an Avatar / Valerian vibe from it.

I'm really not a fan of "all the things, all the time" approach. Which happens a lot to futurist fiction or reference heavy mediums. So both those at the same time sounds like hell for me. When I'm not playing a game, I'm not too keen on consuming meta-entertainment about entertainment mediums. Especially games. When it comes to VR stuff, I like Neuromancer's simstims or Cyberpunk 2020's braindances. But the Summer Wars, SAO, Psycho Pass "Nobody Knows Your Face / Nobody Knows Your Mask" style of "second life" VR just don't really grip me. I prefer more the escapism to another real life, or perhaps just a abstract cyber representation of data-streams. Perhaps it's because given a real opportunity I wouldn't want to hang out in those sorts of online worlds. Even though I spend a lot of time staring at flat static web pages... I don't need those to be more real. Maybe it's also because I'm a CS major...

Maybe I'll have to read the book and see if the story is compelling enough, but the setting isn't winning any points, and it's not high on my priorities. Still I like to keep an eye on the tides of societies interests.

Not sure if this has been shared, but I'm really looking forward to it, like Creature of the Black Lagoon meets Amelie:

I don't the the whole crazy surrounding Ready Player One, also why is the Iron Giant there?

It's basically a 40 something author writing a story about a teenager in the future who worships 80's nostalgia in the uber-geek manner by playing an MMO based around it, and thereby gaining world shaking power, influence, respect and the girl.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you like your pop culture references dropped every other paragraph.

Also, just got back from Baby Driver.

I say god damn!

I'm really not a fan of "all the things, all the time" approach. Which happens a lot to futurist fiction or reference heavy mediums. So both those at the same time sounds like hell for me. When I'm not playing a game, I'm not too keen on consuming meta-entertainment about entertainment mediums. Especially games. When it comes to VR stuff, I like Neuromancer's simstims or Cyberpunk 2020's braindances. But the Summer Wars, SAO, Psycho Pass "Nobody Knows Your Face / Nobody Knows Your Mask" style of "second life" VR just don't really grip me. I prefer more the escapism to another real life, or perhaps just a abstract cyber representation of data-streams. Perhaps it's because given a real opportunity I wouldn't want to hang out in those sorts of online worlds. Even though I spend a lot of time staring at flat static web pages... I don't need those to be more real. Maybe it's also because I'm a CS major...

Maybe I'll have to read the book and see if the story is compelling enough, but the setting isn't winning any points, and it's not high on my priorities. Still I like to keep an eye on the tides of societies interests.

• Like 8

Fortune favors the bald.

Valerian - Better than what I thought it would be but still not good. The male lead actor  is woefully miscast, the main villain is not  good, but the maina ctress did a better job than I figured. She had better chemistry with an extra, though, then she did with her co lead. Rhianna was misused in her role.   Very pretty landscapes and  the typically interesting aliens.  Of course, the film was simply DOA. 6/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The male lead actor is woefully miscast.

I really do not understand their choice here at all - Valérian is a little old and more of a classic sci-fi cowboy, who relies on his quick-draw and smooth talker skills to get him out of trouble. With Laureline being the actual competent one of the two.

While I have respect for DeHaan in some of his other roles, he's way too young and the role was written much more like a renegade Commander Shephard. Didn't fit the source material at all.

Fortune favors the bald.

Haven't seen Valerian, only trailers. But it seems to me or that DeHaan is talking in perpetual puberty voice? I don't know how old he is, but his voice seems creaky and forced as low as possible.

DeHann is 31. I liked the film, but I do think that Valerian's character doesn't seem to quite work. Not really sure its a casting problem a conceptual problem within the script itself.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

all comics make me cringe...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Haven't seen Valerian, only trailers. But it seems to me or that DeHaan is talking in perpetual puberty voice? I don't know how old he is, but his voice seems creaky and forced as low as possible.

DeHann is 31. I liked the film, but I do think that Valerian's character doesn't seem to quite work. Not really sure its a casting problem a conceptual problem within the script itself.

Perhaps, he was originally written as something of a mysogonist, that warmed up to Laureline. Mostly used to illustrate the feminist writer's view on men. In time he became a pretty interesting character, but if they've only used The City of A Thousand Planets, as source materiel, I can see why he was so wooden.

Fortune favors the bald.

A double-bill at the theatres today with Dunkirk and Baby Driver. Both couldn't be more apart from one another in terms of the overall experience they offer, but they're both also superb cinematic pieces which I'll be shocked if they end out of my top 10 by the end of the year. Highly recommended, especially to be viewed in theatres.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Baby Driver really cemented Edgar Wright as one of my favorite directors. Before I couldn't tell if it was just my love for Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. But he's done 3 of my favorite movies. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and now Baby Driver.

In some ways actually Baby Driver feels like a movie Tarantino should have eventually made, if he dropped the gratuitousness. Not to say he has to "graduate" beyond that, it's just interesting that he has never chosen to. He's pushing boundaries more with script writing than and direction more than on screen content. The content for him is now mostly throwbacks and homages to older films.

But Edgar Wright has always really pushed both is direction and writing similarly. Baby Driver does to me feel like an almost graduate version of what Tarantino often tries to do. It's steeped in anachronistic elements to fantastic affect and feels very appropriate somehow telling a story in modern time. Especially with the way our country is moving. Almost hearkening back to that opening scene of Reservoir Dogs where the talk about waiting tables being the number one profession for non-college graduate women in the 20s and 30s. This sort of disrupted youth living out in the boonies, susceptible to crime. Especially given that Millenials are in more debt with lower earning capacity than any generation before. In many ways, things feel like they are lapsing back. Not that the movie was about any of it. Just the back drop had this air about it that was communicating something more. Specifically about life prospects of Baby and Debora. One of the best film constructions from bottom up that I've seen in a while for a non-adapted original work.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Director, when asked if Pennywise true form in this is a spider, gave a firm NO. Hints are that he's going more Lovecraftian with it (for example, in this trailer the originally described "spiderwebs" seem to be people levitating in eerie light).

I think the new It trailers look fantastic, and the director's debut "Mama" was visually stunning despite producer Guillermo del Toro's meddling fingerprints. Normally I love Guillermo, but I feel like he imposed a bit too much fairy-tale horror feeling on that picture and didn't give the director enough space. His short film that was based on, also titled "Mama", is pretty terrifying. Not many short-films manage to create a horror image that I can't forget. It's a great story, I hope they can do it justice. Much more worried about the intended sequel about the children coming back as adults, in both the book and mini-series those were the weakest parts.

Edited by TrueNeutral
Mispelled "eerie" as "eary". What the hell, typing skills?

Yeah I think the adult section is worrying, it certainly wasn't bad(in the book) but it lacked the terror of encountering It as children. I've got faith in Muschietti to make It terrifying, but it seemed that in the book Henry Bowers was more of a threat to the adult Losers than any of It's forms aside from the closest thing their minds could comprehend It's true form being. At any rate this looks good and while I'd prefer an 8 episode mini-series this looks to be good.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Eh, agree to disagree. I thought Pennywise turned into a bit of a wimp when they were adults. He taunted them a lot with creepy things but it always felt like posturing. Took a lot of the tension and fear away.

I think that was largely intentional.

That may be but it still makes for less exciting reading or viewing.

Please note actually it is weeks ago I did see this in the movie theatres in Finland, but I have been so busy with other real life issues so now writing this feedback.

Wonder Woman 3D (2017)

+ Gal Gadot main actress playing Wonder Worman. She is very beautiful and she is former Miss Israel the most beautiful woman in Israel! She is 10+ years

older in this movie from the date she won Miss Israel title (she won at very young adult age), but looks very beautiful indeed! It's not only that she is training

martial arts for real and I have gotten silver medal in Tae Kwon do at 17 years age (none adults local tournament with 16 participiants that I competed against)

and I do know she can martial arts for real!

+ I liked the main male hero actor.

+ Well there is some kind of background story.

+ It is serious enough you can not guess easily exactly how it is going to end like in Smallville TV Series where you always know that the main actor will survive.

+ The Brittish and the Germans in World War I. A moron wrote about NAZIS in IMDB review. There existed no nazis in World War 1, but Germany started also

World War 1.

+ There are some slightly fun scenes.

+ Interesting time historically seeing how it was etc.

+ Adventure, Action, Drama, War, Scifi (unrealistic) whatever you want to rate it as, but I liked it!

Neutral: WARNING SPOILER

Well there is slightly romance in the movie. 

Neutral: The main actor seems smart enough for sure, but yet I find that while ok that he did not fit this role perfectly. I would have preferred to

have that (not spoling if male or female) actor to be in this movie, but perhaps a different role and having main villain role played by another actor.

- Realism. Well this is after all a superhero movie a la marvel. If you want super realistic movie perhaps you should stick to other movies.

My Vote: 9.25/1O Excellent!

This is the best movie I have seen in movie theatres during year 2016-2017.

Best movie I have ever seen? No I have actually voted 10/10 for some movies, but that is very rare.

Edited by Terminator

Atomic Blonde - Entertaining movie. Theron was solid and she got better as the movie went on. McAvoy (he played the main bad guy right?) was total garbage. Completely unbelievable.  And, the music? Wow. They were rbagging about the awesomeness of it but outside of the last song near the end, the music was pure  awfulness pulling me out of the movie every time it played. Pure ****. I docked a couple of points simply because of the garbage music. 6/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It may be his finest hour, but what about the other 29 minutes of the film? :p

Its a fun film if you don't get too distracted by Moore's mustache.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man