Hi dudes and dudets. Don't know if this has been suggested already but please for the love of all that's good and holy let us wear cloaks with necklaces/pendants. About the only thing that irritated me in PoE 1 was this. I simply love the look of my entire party wearing cloaks. I know the whole buff stats stack thing. Whatever man. Just implement it so the character only gets buffs from one of the 2 items, even if it's only for aesthetic purposes. I mean in Skyrim it was possible(still is;) to wear both. IRL one can wear both. It just doesn't make sense that we shouldn't be able to do so in PoE 2.

Please guys...please!!!!

• Like 1

I think they already included that. In the video for update 37 at the 2:00 mark where they show off the skull flail, there is a character setup with a cloak and a pendant/amulet. Either that or they separated the amulets/pendants/circlets from cloaks and put them in a category of their own.

I assume they'll cover the buffs the same way they already do in PoE1.

Edited by smjjames

Buffs will stack in Deadfire.

Is stat bonus suppression except for the highest value still a thing in Deadfire?

JS: So, on equipment we don't do suppression anymore. What we do instead is: stats only get benefits from certain slots. You might find boots that give a dex bonus, you might find gloves that give a dex bonus, but you're never going to find anything in a belt slot, a head slot, a neck slot that gives a dex bonus. They'll all add together, but you're never going to find more than two slots worth of items.

Active ability stacking, that will still be a thing, but that's usually much easier to figure out what's going on. If you cast two spells only the most powerful active effect on a certain stat will apply.

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 2

Why allow magic item buffs to stack? If they aren't part of a set, it would be more interesting if they interfered with each other. For example, two +3 Might items should net out at +2 Might. That makes stacking easier to resolve mechanically, and gives the player more of a challenge to decide what gear to use.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Why allow magic item buffs to stack? If they aren't part of a set, it would be more interesting if they interfered with each other. For example, two +3 Might items should net out at +2 Might. That makes stacking easier to resolve mechanically, and gives the player more of a challenge to decide what gear to use.

I don't understand what you are proposing but suppression didn't add any gameplay/systemic depth, it is just a rule to uphold the balance. Certain slots giving certain buffs removes the problem altogether.

• Like 2

I don't understand what you are proposing but suppression didn't add any gameplay/systemic depth, it is just a rule to uphold the balance. Certain slots giving certain buffs removes the problem altogether.

No, not altogether. The example states both gloves and boots can give Dex bonuses, so there is still stacking. I'm saying why allow stacking at all? A Dex bonus from gloves tries to improve your action; a Dex bonus from boots also tries to improve your Action -- why should the result be cooperative? It's more likely to trip you up. Two forms of magic providing the same benefit wouldn't necessarily stack; they're more likely to interfere with each other.

• Like 1

I think they already included that. In the video for update 37 at the 2:00 mark where they show off the skull flail, there is a character setup with a cloak and a pendant/amulet. Either that or they separated the amulets/pendants/circlets from cloaks and put them in a category of their own.

:banghead:  I must've watched that video 5 times now but never even noticed it. Thank you for pointing it out. That is seriously some good news!!!

.....Josh is hillarious

Two forms of magic providing the same benefit wouldn't necessarily stack; they're more likely to interfere with each other.

Well, I don't know how magic works :p Once I saw a comment that goes like; "...in reality Wizards should be able to do...", I LMAOd. Also I never really saw buff giving items as "magic items" since they are also present in game universes without magic. 

Magic aside I don't see the fun in checking equipment for buff conflicts.

• Like 4

Well, I don't know how magic works :p Once I saw a comment that goes like; "...in reality Wizards should be able to do...", I LMAOd. Also I never really saw buff giving items as "magic items" since they are also present in game universes without magic. 

Well it's not so much about what a Wizard can and can't do with magic. It's about what two different Wizards operating with independent aims and means can do. Remember the miscibility rules from the old style D&D?

• Like 1

I for one am very happy with Obsidian's proposed changes to buff-suppression. The system in PoE1 (and other similar "item conflict" ideas) is obtuse. Managing items so you don't "waste" buff slots was a chore, especially when switching party members.

The news about separate cloak and necklace slots is great too. I'm just loving everything I've seen and heard about Deadfire so far, from big concepts like graphical improvements and companion interactions to subtle rule changes and attention to details. 

Edited by GuyNice
  • Like 1

Well it's not so much about what a Wizard can and can't do with magic. It's about what two different Wizards operating with independent aims and means can do. Remember the miscibility rules from the old style D&D?

My forgotten D&D knowledge was from what I played of NWN2, played it a lot tho. I don't know about miscibility. Btw. that sentence continued like: "...in reality Wizards should be able to do everything any other class can do", but he had me at reality.

Hi dudes and dudets. Don't know if this has been suggested already but please for the love of all that's good and holy let us wear cloaks with necklaces/pendants. About the only thing that irritated me in PoE 1 was this. I simply love the look of my entire party wearing cloaks. I know the whole buff stats stack thing. Whatever man. Just implement it so the character only gets buffs from one of the 2 items, even if it's only for aesthetic purposes. I mean in Skyrim it was possible(still is;) to wear both. IRL one can wear both. It just doesn't make sense that we shouldn't be able to do so in PoE 2.

Please guys...please!!!!

i'm with you on this. it's weird i can either wear a cloak or a necklace. why not both? it's weird. but it's great if they are finally separating it out!

• Like 1

Please guys...please!!!!

i'm with you on this. it's weird i can either wear a cloak or a necklace. why not both? it's weird. but it's great if they are finally separating it out!

Well, why can I wear only two rings? I have ten fingers. And I am sure more than one ring will fit on each finger.

Please guys...please!!!!

Well, why can I wear only two rings? I have ten fingers. And I am sure more than one ring will fit on each finger.

The explanation usually given in D&D is "magical interference" caused by wearing too many magic rings in close proximity. In the end though it's all just a balancing mechanic. ;)

• Like 1