Dreaming Dreams: An Invitation

Fionavar

To be clear, I was joking about your own storefront!

Too lazy to seach for 10+ year old posts, but I seem to remember suggesting that a decade ago. Where is my Obsidian logo coffee mug???

Edit to add: I can recommend Discord for those who are interested in things like "Obsidian Plays" etc.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Obsidian plays should be advertised here. I don't think enough people know about it. I certainly wouldn't if I didn't use twitter.

I think that is precisely the sort of problem of they are trying to address here.

Mikey and Aarik do a pretty awesome job keeping on top of twitter, twitch, and discord.  Josh Sawyer does his cryptic dev posts and classic bike glamour shots on instagram.  Occasionally cool stuff pops up on reddit.  And that is all in addition to obsidian.net channels, including the webpage, forums, and devblogs.  Once you're dialed into all the different information sources, you have a really clear picture of obsidian and community happenings.

But keeping up with all that is actually a bit of work from the user's perspective.  There is surprisingly little cross-talk between platforms (who here knows of the great OEW Breakfast war that ravaged Discord and Twitch? #Waffles4Life).

Communities each have their own identity, and that's totally normal and fine.  The question I see is: "How best can the community best keep informed of cool stuff going on elsewhere?"  Maybe:

- A portal, such as news.obsidian.net (News from the Eastern Reach, or something) with curated links and social media

- Better embedding of social media posts.  Getting the twitter feed displayed on the homepage, or as a sidebar in the forum listing would cover a lot of things

- Some sort of media client or new social tool as others have suggested.  Though, that is likely to run into the classic There are 14 Competing Standards issue

It is certainly a wonderful dream and imagine a unified solution.  But the best thing that can be done is probably also the easiest.  Pick an existing tool such as twitter, and use it all the time to post cool stuff and promote community and developer content.  Once fans are reasonably sure there's one social media feed that covers most of what they're interested in, other communities will just look toward it as a reliable source in the future.

• Like 3

Synopsis #4

Note: The input is great so far and some is now beginning to overlap. Please review what has been suggested before posting. As well, for those who have/will contribute, please let me know if my synopsis either seems incorrect or does not reflect your input.

• Affirmation of existing forum community;
  • Affirmation/Challenge: Engagement between OBS/Community;
  • App: If going this route, do not force/make it mandatory. Recognise website user context/demographic; & focus on optional aspect;
  • Balance hub with centralised communication, but relaise people are platform loyal;
  • Challenge: Commit to one social media hub as the centra; 'voice;'
  • Challenge: Make sure any new GUI/HUB/Platform is choice driven by community member, as opposed to mandatory;
  • Challenge: Steam like platform;
  • Devs: Further engagement and more accessible;
  • Explore a model similar to uPlay/Origin;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account & allows for actual game-play with levels/milestones on the site, perhaps even with PvP;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that facilitates RPG between members;
  • Explore designing Obsidian client that facilitates cRPG  i.e. Discord/Steam connectivity;
  • Explore designing platform to share mods for future games;
  • Explore establishing a news portal that curates various feeds;
  • Highlight: Blogs & further enhance; 
  • Highlight: existing social media platforms without necessarily centralising a one stop communicaiton channel;
  • Highlight: Obsidian Plays;
  • Highlight upcoming streams/Youtube;
  • Tie access to certain communities to game ownership;
  • Website: Highlight active stream/social media updates & Dev interaction/posts; and,

Examples/Resources

Contributors

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Posting a literal link to a Discord chat won't work - you need to generate an invitation, set it to never expire and link that

Thanks Fenixp - I have queried Admin if they would like to do this!

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Posting a literal link to a Discord chat won't work - you need to generate an invitation, set it to never expire and link that

The discord invite link below is found on the Obsidian Twitch Page.

https://discord.gg/obsidian

Everyone should feel free to stop by and tell us their favorite breakfast food, which should be waffles, because there is technically no other answer. :p

• Like 1

The discord invite link below is found on the Obsidian Twitch Page.

https://discord.gg/obsidian

Everyone should feel free to stop by and tell us their favorite breakfast food, which should be waffles, because there is technically no other answer. :p

Thanks Ethics Gradient! Will add it to the list.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

You know what the forum needs?  Separate +Rep and Agree buttons.  Because sometimes I disagree with someone but still approve of their post, but if I Like it then people often assume I am agreeing with them.

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Another forum which I've frequented a bit in the past has a pretty neat little chat message window on their front page, called Shout It Out, where peeps leave short messages and such.

Although, sometimes often nonsense, whenever something new has happened to the game, it'll surely be discussed there.

Here, have a looksie:

https://www.coh2.org/

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've kind of made my peace with Reddit, but it's not what you call easy to continue a conversation for more than maybe a week there. Forums are the absolute best for conversing with people to dive deep into an issue, which is what gaming requires. If you just want sound bytes like people screaming out of cars passing you on the highway, then stick with Twitter or whatever.

Forums are the best way to actually have a conversation that even lurkers can benefit from, that web searches to solve an issue will lead to and all other manners. Hard to use from your phone? Boo hoo.

• Like 1

Synopsis #5

Note: The input is great so far and some is now beginning to overlap. Please review what has been suggested before posting. As well, for those who have/will contribute, please let me know if my synopsis either seems incorrect or does not reflect your input.

• App: If going this route, do not force/make it mandatory. Recognise website user context/demographic; & focus on optional aspect;
  • Balance hub with centralised communication, but relaise people are platform loyal;
  • Challenge: Make sure any new GUI/HUB/Platform is choice driven by community member, as opposed to mandatory;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account & allows for actual game-play with levels/milestones on the site, perhaps even with PvP;
  • Explore designing Obsidian client that facilitates cRPG  i.e. Discord/Steam connectivity;
  • Fora: Implement Agree/Disagree/Rep buttons;
  • Highlight: existing social media platforms without necessarily centralising a one stop communicaiton channel;
  • Website: Highlight active stream/social media updates & Dev interaction/posts; and,

Examples/Resources

Contributors

• Like 1

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Synopsis #6

• Fora: More useful buttons, such as "Helpful", "Interesting", "Agree" and "Respectfully disagree" as opposed to just "Like;"

Examples/Resources

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Hmmm... I agree strongly with the point about keeping a central coherent voice. I mean, I know what it's like as a business. You want more "views/clicks", so you keep creating more social media accounts to spread the word. "Hey, think of the potential million users in China! Let's start an Obsidian Weibo account!" ;) And then the fans have to run around gathering info from various places/platforms. Sure, its a labor of love. But it would be really nice to know: For the latest info on Deadfire, I just need to go to place X. And it would be nice if that place X was your main website instead of a social media platform. 

• Like 4

Hmmm... I agree strongly with the point about keeping a central coherent voice. I mean, I know what it's like as a business. You want more "views/clicks", so you keep creating more social media accounts to spread the word. "Hey, think of the potential million users in China! Let's start an Obsidian Weibo account!" ;) And then the fans have to run around gathering info from various places/platforms. Sure, its a labor of love. But it would be really nice to know: For the latest info on Deadfire, I just need to go to place X. And it would be nice if that place X was your main website instead of a social media platform. 

That would be useful. It might also be helpful if each social media platform contained a readily visible link to the main information center should they wish to learn more.

• Like 3

Thanks eveyrone for your feedback here and via PM and email. Will likely draw this to a close soon and share your great ideas with Admin soon. Any other thoughts or ideas that occur to you that have not been mentioned? We'll keep the ocnversaiton going for the rest of the week and then wrap it up :)

Synopsis #7

• Fora: More useful buttons, such as "Helpful", "Interesting", "Agree" and "Respectfully disagree" as opposed to just "Like;"

Examples/Resources

Contributors

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

My thoughts on the forum reactions:

Get rid of the like button. Better for people to have to talk to each other and explain what they like and dislike without the distraction of e-peen.

The e-peen is only that on each forum member's site you can see the overall number of likes. I agree that that only serves as an "e-peen" so to say. And I would not mind if you got rid of the overall likes counter on the profile page.

That has nothing to do with being able to "like" a post. In my opinion you should still be able to just press a button to express your support of a post. Just take away the information how many likes a forum user has gathered so far all in all.

The second matter would be what types of buttons should be there and is "like" sufficient?

You know what the forum needs?  Separate +Rep and Agree buttons.  Because sometimes I disagree with someone but still approve of their post, but if I Like it then people often assume I am agreeing with them.

If you ever would fear that someone could misinterpret you giving a "like" to someone, maybe you should write your opinion on that matter rather than giving only a forum reaction.

So it would be possible to live with the "like" reaction button only. But I agree that additional buttons could help you to avoid to have to write a lengthy reply or being misinterpreted when you give a "like".

However,

I'd suggest to add buttons "Helpful", "Interesting", "Agree" and "Respectfully disagree" as it is on Paradox Plaza (the "Respectfully" part might be obvious, but, nonetheless, important).

whatever kind of buttons you use, do not use negative ones. Only use buttons that are encouraging in a positive way.

You already seemingly addressed this issue by calling the disagree reaction "respectfully disagree". That will not work in my opinion. We are on the Internet and people just don't disagree respectfully here :p

Negative reaction buttons should never be used because they will lead to backlashes. People would give someone a negative forum reaction because they received one themselves. Out of vengeance. Yes, on the Internet it works like that.

Calling a disagree button "respectfully disagree" will not help with that. If you disagree with someone or something you should really write it down - and then others can give an "agree" reaction to your disapproving opinion.

TL;DR I favor separate "like" and "agree" forum reactions. Do NOT use any "negative" forum reactions. Disable the reaction counter on forum members' profile pages.

• Like 3

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

The next issue I would like to address on this forum is the HUGE waste of space. This post serves as an example.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Look at my previous post. I only posted one line and look at much space got wasted by that post:

k1JL4jD.png

It is because of my avatar, some information about me and the badges. Is is really necessary that everything below the avatar is posted again - time and again - EVERY SINGLE TIME I make a post?

I would say ALL of the information on the left side belongs on my forum profile page but should not be displayed with every single post I make.

Optionally, if you wanted to take this to the extreme, you would even replace avatars by much smaller thumbnails of them. And you would disable signatures. All of which would be visible on the profile page.

• Like 2

Just don't change the edit function... or maybe do as long as you don't allow a window in which a user can edit their post without the post being marked as edited. 

An edit is an edit is an edit. So sayeth the wise <this space for rent>.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Now let me show you two much more compact design alternatives. I only made them very quick, so don't mind any quality issues due to quick 'n' dirty photoshop. My point is about the layout.

Alternative Design 1:

NLnHCat.png

Or, if you wanted to show the badges to everyone with each single post (which I am NOT in favor of):

Alternative Design 2:

s3XxsLA.png

As I said I'm not a fan of displaying the badges with every single post. Instead they should be visible on the profile page. I mean the actual graphics. At the moment, the graphics are NOT displayed on the profile page, only the names of the badges.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1