Considering my first attempt to play

Sup All 

I haven't  played this game yet but I have had the boxset for ages, is it worth it and what is the overall view?

Is there a gaming manual or datasheet around rules ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Its the best RPG (for me) that I have ever played.  If you played Old school Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale you will be right at home.  If you fire up the game there is an extensive journal in game that explains a lot.  

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Jeepers, you haven't played Pillars yet! Colour me surprised. I'm biased but it's one of the best games I've played. The white March expansion is great too. Not aware of any manuals or documentation but you've played plenty games so I reckon you'll pick it up quickly.

Might be worth hanging around the build forum there are some knowledgeable and helpful gents there.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The wiki is not completely out of date. I know its not totally accurate but you can get some general info there. And if we are answering you on a forum for game that is over 2 years old i am pretty sure we all think its great.  :yes:. One of my favorites. Take the builds with a grain of salt. Most are min maxed and it is complete unnecessary to do so especially if playing in something below POTD. Skills, talents, and equipment can be more important than Attributes so dont sweat it if you get to worried about it.

Rule 1: Ignore all Npc's whose name background is Yellow. These are all kickstarter backer content and so if you are into it go for it but it has nothing to do with the story. 

Otherwise go for it.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Its the best RPG (for me) that I have ever played.  If you played Old school Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale you will be right at home.  If you fire up the game there is an extensive journal in game that explains a lot.  

I didnt play BG1 but BG2 was the  best RPG  I have ever played, I did play IWD1 and it was great....not excellent but great :)

Jeepers, you haven't played Pillars yet! Colour me surprised. I'm biased but it's one of the best games I've played. The white March expansion is great too. Not aware of any manuals or documentation but you've played plenty games so I reckon you'll pick it up quickly.

Might be worth hanging around the build forum there are some knowledgeable and helpful gents there.

It seems strange to have not played POE yet, I agree...better late than never I suppose  :teehee:

I normally wait till the first or second  patch to be released than I play, in this case it appears I fell victim to an artful  Time Elemental and after he manipulated the time stream it appears I am still waiting for those patches...what year is it ?  :biggrin:

The wiki is not completely out of date. I know its not totally accurate but you can get some general info there. And if we are answering you on a forum for game that is over 2 years old i am pretty sure we all think its great.  :yes:. One of my favorites. Take the builds with a grain of salt. Most are min maxed and it is complete unnecessary to do so especially if playing in something below POTD. Skills, talents, and equipment can be more important than Attributes so dont sweat it if you get to worried about it.

Rule 1: Ignore all Npc's whose name background is Yellow. These are all kickstarter backer content and so if you are into it go for it but it has nothing to do with the story. 

Otherwise go for it.

Thanks for the helpful tips  :geek:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll throw in my two cents, even though others have answered pretty sufficiently. First of all this game is really incredible. There's really nothing like it. Yes, it's very similar to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. but those games all came out around 20 years ago. Taking those same mechanics and updating them to the modern age is something that only Pillars can boast. And with Deadfire coming out in the next year, you'll definitely want to hop on at the ground level. The sequel promises to be one of the best cRPGs we've seen, maybe ever.

Personally, I'm not fond of guides. If you really think it will be too complicated for you to pick up on your own, feel free to read some online guides, but there's a pretty extensive Cyclopedia in-game that explains the mechanics, not to mention pop-up tutorial messages. And there's something extremely rewarding about mastering the system yourself and using it the way you want to. But if you do use a guide, check the date. A lot of the guides people use frequently were made around the games release in 2015, but there was a major update, not long after, that changed the way a lot of Attributes work, so many guides are outdated and will have you building characters that just don't make sense anymore. My advice would just be to read the character creation screens thoroughly and apply the information they give you to the best of your ability.

Enjoy! It's really a magnificent experience!

• Like 1