I just finished the bog dragons battle, it was a close one but I eventually won on my second try. My party was level 12 and 13.

I read somewhere that this is supposed to be the toughest fight in the game. I still have a few more levels to go, but if there's nothing tougher out there, what's the point in more levels and items?

I haven't finished the White March 2 or the main quest-line yet.

Roleplaying:) Honestly after beating the game with solo on potd 2 times now I don't think I'd find real challenge in doing party runs. Although it offers a lot of funny combos and synergies that are satisfying to pull off... something you don't get playing solo. 

For me the hardest fights are Brynlod and also Magran's Faithful. Dragons are quite easy because you can charm or prone or paralyze them easily with a party and the ads are not that powerful but just annoying.

The bounties however have a lot of high level casters that can really smash you in seconds if you're sloppy (especially if you choose upscaled content). The druids of Magran's Faithful will shower your casters with Sunbeams like there's no tomorrow and so on. Still not supertough if you're lvl 16 or so, but harder than the bog dragons + Llengrath in my opinion.

But yes: the more you advance the easier it gets. Especially with a lot of casters there are no real challenging fights later in the game. The trash mobs you can easily dispatch with your Spell Masteries and in tough fights you can just use all your spells.

Try a party without casters (wizard, druid, priest, cipher). That's a bigger challenge. Not necessarily when fighting dragons, but when meeting big groups of high level enemies (Torn Bannermen, Abbey monks, bounties).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Biggest challenge for me when I was solo were packs that had "Deprieve of the Unworthy" ability. But most of the time it was just enough to initiate combat (as wizard) with frost ray on the guy that uses it to root him in place, run away beyond range from which he can cast it and when ray ends just watch for him to appear out of the fog and drop either slicken, shadowflame, confuse on him.

Same goes to enemies that had "Form of helpless beast". Those were easier because they are both squishy casters and cast time of this spell is long so gives you tons of time to react. Worst part of this spell is that after you get out of it (its short duration and you're fast so you can run away easily) is that your grimoire reloads after you're back to your form... so you can't cast spells at all.

Edited by Phyriel

Hate saying this but the answer might depend on level. The ogres chilling in elmshore (upscaled bounty) can absolutely wreck you. I think I was even at 11th level and waltzed in there thinking I'd wipe them. It was the fastest most brutal party wipe I've had. The ondra tidalfists are also unpleasant. I'd say they are the hardest fights, mainly because you'd end up overleveled for many of the other tough fights, whereas it's likely that you could be under leveled for these in particular.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

The hardest battle is definitely soloing bear cave, whilst fatigued, after finishing Cilant Lîs as a mage having used all your spells  ;)

Ummm, I'm actually quite interested in what you do for fun! Cause that sounds incredibly painful not to mention masochistic. :)

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I'll ask again: what's this about content scaling? I see it being brought up here and the is one load-screen tip that also mentions it, but I have no idea how to enable it.

If you are a high-enough level, when you go to the White March the first time or Twin Elms, it will give you an option to level scale.  This gives enemies tougher stats, which kinda works.  I think the real question is, what difficulty were you on where you did the Bog Dragons at level 12?  You might just want to punch the difficulty up a notch or 3.

I'll ask again: what's this about content scaling? I see it being brought up here and the is one load-screen tip that also mentions it, but I have no idea how to enable it.

If you are a high-enough level, when you go to the White March the first time or Twin Elms, it will give you an option to level scale.  This gives enemies tougher stats, which kinda works.  I think the real question is, what difficulty were you on where you did the Bog Dragons at level 12?  You might just want to punch the difficulty up a notch or 3.

This did happen to me when I went to elmshore for the first time, which was after I finished the white march 1 and 2. But since I'm level 15 now it is still hardly a challenge.

I was playing on hard difficulty. Would have gone POTD but can't.