Items won't transfer. That, we know for sure. And we can assume pets, being items, won't transfer either. About disposition and other stuff, no dev has talked about yet, but, at least from what I could make, we're most probably gonna start with what we choose on our character creation (since the game starts from level 1 and you don't know what you're gonna face, it wouldn't be good to start with a 16th level character disposition).

Yeah and those talents will be tied to our soul so we'll get them back as we restore our soul throughout the game. Can't find the exact source for this atm but

Will Pillars of Eternity story talents—for example, Gift of the Machine, Effigy's Resentment—be retained if we import our save?

JS: The plan is that yes those will appear in some form. I can't say it will take the exact same form that they did in Pillars 1, but our plan is to carry those over in some way that feels rewarding for making those choices.

Of course, there will probably be a consequence for that as well. Because that's the whole point is to have a consequence as well as a benefit from that. So that's the plan: as many of those things as possible would continue over. We might not be able to do everything, though.

Since it would be OP to transfer the dispositions as they were, I fully expect the dispositions to be wiped. Besides, the dispositions in PoE1 are your reputation within the Eastern Reach, now you're going to a place where you're likely little known, if at all.

Though maybe rumors will precede you if you were particularily notorious or high in some disposition.

Although, we DO know that there will be a chance to run into characters in the Deadfire that we've met in PoE1. In one of Josh's preview teasers or in some fig update vid, we saw that we will run into Bellasege (might be dependent on whether you do Aloths personal quest or not, plus the decisions made), so, she will definetly be there. There's also a pretty good possibility that we will run into Maerwith, the infamous (and famous) captian of the Red Dream.

We know that some of the choices made during PoE1 (besides the companion and player endings) will have an affect in PoE2, we'll just have to find out for ourselves just what they are.

Since we cannot transfer items and disposition, will there be any different between import save and without import save? Will we miss tiny plot detail or something else?

Well, a feeling of continuity for one. I know someone said that any quest based abilities, etc (such as the blood pool) that you gain will be re-added (or an equivalent of it) as you re-accquire your soul bits. Also greater control over choices that you make that might affect things in PoE2, though there probably won't be many of those.

I don't think we know all of the benefits of importing a save yet, but the primary draw is likely that feeling of continuity.

Since we cannot transfer items and disposition, will there be any different between import save and without import save? Will we miss tiny plot detail or something else?

Well, a feeling of continuity for one. I know someone said that any quest based abilities, etc (such as the blood pool) that you gain will be re-added (or an equivalent of it) as you re-accquire your soul bits. Also greater control over choices that you make that might affect things in PoE2, though there probably won't be many of those.

I don't think we know all of the benefits of importing a save yet, but the primary draw is likely that feeling of continuity.

From the Q&As i got the impression that, no, the is no "benefit" to importing the save, unless you really want to continue THE choices and THE character. When starting new game you will be able to define the game state and there is no info about additional benefits. It doesn't seem like you are encouraged to prepare a save for a sequel, rather that you can continue or start a new character and it should be both equally good.

From the Q&As i got the impression that, no, the is no "benefit" to importing the save, unless you really want to continue THE choices and THE character. When starting new game you will be able to define the game state and there is no info about additional benefits. It doesn't seem like you are encouraged to prepare a save for a sequel, rather that you can continue or start a new character and it should be both equally good.

I made 2 or 3 wrong decision in a character playthrough, if there is no differen or benefit then I will not play same character again just for "perfect state"

• Like 1

I don't think imports will be particularly meaningful when it comes to story. Just look at Bioware. Have you chosen Anderson as human councilor? Doesn't matter, it's Udina now. Killed the Rachni Queen? Have another one. Wrex is dead? Replaced by his brother. Alistair is king? Have a 20 second cameo. Killed Lelianna? Back from the dead. I think we all know a truely branching narrative is too expensive to make.

I don't think imports will be particularly meaningful when it comes to story. Just look at Bioware. Have you chosen Anderson as human councilor? Doesn't matter, it's Udina now. Killed the Rachni Queen? Have another one. Wrex is dead? Replaced by his brother. Alistair is king? Have a 20 second cameo. Killed Lelianna? Back from the dead. I think we all know a truely branching narrative is too expensive to make.

Agree about Dragon Age, tho they weren't direct sequels, all 3 games were mostly separate from each other, second game didn't have save import IIRC, no wonder they came short. But Mass Effects' save import was pretty good IMO. Agree about Rachni but Anderson and Udina or Wrex and his bro aren't the same, there are bunch of continuing story arcs through 3 games and most of them(if not all) paid off 'cept the very end which isn't related to save imports. There were too many variations for genophage and Rannoch & geth etc and again most of the companions could be dead by the third game. I'd list many more stuff but I don't trust my memory atm. Yeah, it's not perfect but I haven't seen any other series with better continuation(yet).(Bioware did save import better than the GREAT CDPR who cut every corner, killing characters off screen/in between games and ****.)

Does it worth extra work? I can't say but I like it, if its done as good as ME, I love it. And I think, once people attach to some of the characters and story arcs they'll be there through every sequel, They'll replay previous games knowing what they do actually matters, they'll spread the word etc. Save import is COOL.

Dragon Age 2 does have import save. If you didn't have one you could choose between 3 endings of the previous game. Not sure how much it actually affects...

Oh and when you talk to the barman he'll say random lines about stuff what happened in DA:O depending on what you chose I think.

Edited by daven

nowt

Sure, but content in Dragon Age is much more expensive than PoE. I don't expect big things but Josh already confirmed that fate of your companions will transfer (if Aloth/Pallegina/Eder dies they are not in the sequel.) I imagine that your relationship with Gods will come into play. We know that Pallegina will be found in different "state" depending on her ending.

I believe it is important to acknowledge previous choices and not trivialize big choices but huge branching paths are not necessary. As impressive and Witcher2 commitment was to giving you 2 different 2nd Acts, it wasn't as impactful as a singular complete and nuanced act might have been.

Benefit of the game, which isn't fully voiced/animated is that they should be able to honor many of your choices with relatively little money spent.

• Like 2

I did the game once again to have a full backup (with the DLC) ... but I don't think I'll use the import in the end ... I like the idea to create in the least steps my character.

Let's see how this will be done before I decide...

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if it's just the save file from PoE needed to carry over all the decisions to Deadfire? I have PoE installed on an older machine so I figure I need to move the file over manually.

Good question. Isn’t there like a secret end game file, which is made upon completion?

We don't know yet. Most thing's will be selectable, but whether that means literally everything, or just everything that isn't a one off cameo there isn't enough to say yet. You could try asking Josh on Twitter.

I was planning to ask them during the next stream (if there's going to be one).