Hearth Orlan Minor Threat

Recently, I have been searching for specific information on the Hearth Orlan and their passive Minor Threat. I was not able to find much and most of what I did find was speculation. I have been testing different spells and powers with Calisca on the wolves in the starting area and making note of the attacks, spells, powers, abilities etc. that the combat log has recorded as a "Minor Threat" conversion. I would like to share what I have found.

Minor Threat

The ability reads as, "When Hearth Orlans attack a target that is also being targeted by a teammate, they convert some of their Hits to Crits. 10% of Hits converted to Crits when attacking the same target as an ally."

I have found this description to be accurate. As long as I was attacking the wolf Calisca was also attacking Minor Threat would trigger. Other sources have claimed that the target needs to be flanked or have (insert your status effect here) and my testing has shown me otherwise. As long as you and an ally are sharing a target Minor Threat has a chance of triggering.

Triggers

Minor Threat only appears to trigger on single target damage, with a couple of exceptions. Those exceptions are spells/powers that are listed as "Foe Jump" like the spell Jolting Touch and "Beam" like the power Antipathetic Field. I believe these work because they target a single enemy at first and technically do not deal AoE damage. However, one thing I did not test was a "Foe Jump" or a "Beam" on multiple enemies while each enemy is being attacked by an ally so I cannot comment on whether the subsequent hits would trigger Minor Threat or not.

I was able to trigger Minor Threat with all melee and ranged weapons including Wands, Rods and Scepters.

Non-Triggers

I could not trigger Minor Threat on any spell, power, talent, invocation etc. that was tagged with "AoE" or "Foe AoE" like Chill Fog, Slicken, Eyestrike or Dancing Bolts. It also did not trigger for single target debuffs such as Tenuous Grasp or Whisper of Treason. I was able to crit normally with all AoE and debuffs but never with a Minor Threat crit.

Class Specifics

I also tested the interactions of Minor Threat with a Ranger and pet, a Barbarian with Carnage and a Druid in Spiritshift form.

For the Ranger I left Calisca at the caravan camp and sent my pet to attack the wolves. As long as I attacked the same target as my pet Minor Threat would trigger.

For the Barbarian Minor Threat did not trigger on Carnage hits as Carnage is considered AoE. You can see this when you target and enemy and the AoE circle appears showing the radius of your Carnage.

A Druid in Spiritshift form triggers Minor Threat with attacks. It follows the same rules as before so if your Spiritshift form comes with an AoE ability (bear/stag) Minor Threat will not trigger for those abilities.

Speculation

I wanted a section to give my opinion separate from the facts, based on what I have found during testing.

As mentioned above I did not test the "Foe Jump" and "Beam" spells/abilities extensively. The way Minor Threat and these types of abilities work lead me to believe the subsequent hits would have their own chance to trigger Minor Threat, since they do not have an actual AoE component.

I also believe enchanted/unique weapons would have a positive interaction, mainly weapons with spellchance and spell striking effects. An example would be the flail Starcaller. Since Minoletta's Minor Missiles can trigger Minor Threat it leads me to believe the spell striking effect of Starcaller would also have a chance to trigger Minor Threat. I do not believe spellchance and spell striking effects that are AoE would trigger Minor Threat.

However, this section is pure untested speculation. Do assume anything in this section to be fact.

Updates

*I tested Whisper of Treason alone. I left Calisca at the caravan camp and used a Cipher to cast Whisper of Treason on the first wolf in the starting area. Using the charmed wolf as an ally to attack the second wolf did not trigger Minor Threat. For the purposes of Minor Threat, charmed/dominated enemies do not count as an ally.

**Upon further testing I could not trigger Minor Threat on subsequent hits when a secondary enemy is being attacked by an ally. I tested on the wolves in the starting area using Calisca as an ally. Calisca targeted the first wolf and I would attack the second wolf with either a "Foe Jump" (Jolting Touch) or a "Beam" (Antipathetic Field) ability. When the ability would hit the wolf Calisca was attacking it would not trigger Minor Threat. It appears Minor Threat does work with "Foe Jump" and "Beam" but only for the initial target and none of the subsequent hits.

TL;DR

Minor Threat triggers on any single target damage attack/spell as long as you are attacking an enemy also being attacked by an ally, including Ranger pets. It will not work on single target debuffs or AoE abilities.

Edited by Ghalven
  • Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks, I was wondering about this myself, as was wondering if an Orlan Chanter using Dragon Wailed chant would benefit from this.  Answered my question thanks. :)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the analysis. I've been looking for such a survey for some time. I wonder, does Minor Threat work with cipher's damaging powers like Soul Ignition, Detonate, Desintegration? That's assuming would a Hearth Orlan be a good ranged cipher or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the analysis. I've been looking for such a survey for some time. I wonder, does Minor Threat work with cipher's damaging powers like Soul Ignition, Detonate, Desintegration? That's assuming would a Hearth Orlan be a good ranged cipher or not.

I used the same method above to test damage over time effects. This time I used the Ranger with Wounding Shot.

According to the combat log the damage over time component only shows up once and is based on the initial hit. When Minor Threat activated for Wounding Shot it did increase the overall damage of the DoT left on the target. From this I can assume as long as the skill you are using meets the criteria above and triggers Minor Threat it will increase the damage of the initial hit and the damage of the DoT, but will not proc a Minor Threat crit on individual DoT ticks.

• Like 1

I used the same method above to test damage over time effects. This time I used the Ranger with Wounding Shot.

According to the combat log the damage over time component only shows up once and is based on the initial hit. When Minor Threat activated for Wounding Shot it did increase the overall damage of the DoT left on the target. From this I can assume as long as the skill you are using meets the criteria above and triggers Minor Threat it will increase the damage of the initial hit and the damage of the DoT, but will not proc a Minor Threat crit on individual DoT ticks.

Well thanks! AFAIK, that's how DoT crits work in PoE: the overall damage of effect (which is displayed in combat log) is increased by prolonged duration. Damage of individual ticks is not increased. The damage of individual ticks depends on Might, and duration depends on Int, crits/grazes affect the duration of DoT. But this is not applied to Wounding Shot, though, 'cause it has fixed damage which is not increased by increasing DoT duration (i.e. higher Int reduces DPS of Wounding Shot).

Edited by Moneo