After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

btsam

Would anyone be interested in an CRPG set during the Ottoman Empire? With companions from Northern Africa, Italy, and Arabia? Man that would be so cool! The Ottoman's Empire aesthetic is so beautiful and there's awesome mythology from there too! Maybe the time period could be during it's height around the 1500-1600? Or entering the Age of Steam and Machine with Europe during the 1800s? Ooooo a steampunk Middle East!! Feel free to add!

The corrupt decadence of the tyrannical regime of steam punk Abdul Hamid II

• Like 1

I'd love to see the PoE style CRPG used in a non-fantasy or post-apocalyptic setting.

I'd think one of the following would suit the style nicely:

Wild west, sci-if (Star Wars-ish), modern day super hero (if you could pick up the Freedom Force IP that'd be amazing!), or while I'd like to think Alpha Protocol crpg I can't see spies traveling with a bunch of constant companions. But paramilitary with fantasy/sci-fi twist (think Predator but clearly with a ton more foes)

• Like 3

Ah , The scourge of Christendom. Would love to see anything concerning Europe between 1000-1650. The history between them and the Knights Hospitallers is great. 

Anyone like military sci fi? I think the Honor Harrington universe would make a good setting for a tactical space fleet game. The writer did a good job imagining a future where ships of the line fight in space. It might be even better as a strategy game since his 'rules' for space travel were interesting and took a lot of foresight.

You know what I'm in the mood for?  A game where you start off as a peasant, armed with weapons like plows and spades.  It's a trope that the hero starts as a farmboy who then goes on to greatness, but most games have you quickly get a proper weapon and armour if not start you outright with them.  I am thinking more a band of peasants who have to make do with what they have until they can finally scavenge something more, the warriors armed with plows as halberds and cooking pot lids as shields, a mage whose staff actually is a walking stick, a gravedigger who has to use the shovel he dug the dead's graves to put the dead back in them, etc.  Many games already have tiers for their weapons anyway, it actually makes more sense to have instead of "good" "fine" "superb" "awesome" "omg this weapons is so fantastic" tiers to have "improvised weapons" "re-purposed tools" "cheapy rusted weapons" "okay this is actually a decent weapon now".  Same stats, just more interesting range. 

This probably works best for either a light-hearted comedy adventure where the characters are all wannabe adventurers just starting out, or a darker grimmer adventure where the characters find themselves out of their depth, probably with the undead rising.  Plus, I really want to play that gravedigger concept now...

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'd like to see a game in the artstyle and 2d iso perspective of PoE, but in a semi online world with a PvP arena ish setup and taking down huge bosses together. But I think the world should be somewhat be able to influence in the style Demons Souls did it with world tendency. If for example 10 players take down boss X without dying, the tendency will shift towards a Light world (with special benefits and optional enemies, loot, different items in shops etc.) but if 10 players try to take down same boss X and die a lot, the tendency will shift towards Dark and different (harder) enemies will spawn and drop different loot. Everyone playing should feel the effects because an online world isn't just one persons world, community effort.
Important is that a game like this would be small scale instanced online instead of massive. 16 or so players? But tendency should be cross instance.

I kinda what this thread to resurge again, I love the topic. Anyway, I'm really into theatre and I went to Indonesian shadow puppet play and I thought it would really be beautiful/amazing to see an RPG set in that setting/art style!

Ex.

shadow_puppet.jpg

FullFramedPuppet2.jpg

351e59f9116262c899ba800396a1b0ec--puppet

sPr8vxUPjjFsjckTpZgfgHsq.jpeg

Darkest Dungeon has proven that 2D art RPGs can be as captivating and atmospheric as any 3D graphic RPG. I think a "shadow play" themed RPG would be brilliant.

Edited by EbonyBetty
  • Like 2

I'm not sure what I want other than anything but either generic high fantasy or anything too close to it. Some settings in games that interest me are BioShock, Alpha Protocol, Fallout, Wasteland, Prey, Numenera, Planescape, Wolfenstein, and some others to a lesser degree. Unfortunately many of the settings in games that I like are not ever a setting for a role-playing game. Generally speaking hard sci-fi interests me too. Bio and neuro seem to have the most potential on one end with crypto and info on the other end, but physics is my favorite subject. Unfortunately physics is more difficult to do, at least that's my perception.

Hmm an isometric RPG in a world like Wolfenstein? I would love that. Will never happen though :-(

Speaking of which, some months ago, Square Enix was "giving away" some older IPs for reimagining. I wish someone (Obsidian) would pick up the Anachronox and make a proper RPG sequel.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Anyone up for a Slaughterhouse Five scenario for a cRPG? Where aliens abduct humans and put them in "people zoos" to observe them, and the main quest is to escape. However, I want to step it up a notch and have them abduct humans from different time periods and put them together. Like an African American Union soldier, a samurai, a French noblewoman from the French revolution, a Chinese philosopher, a Zulu warrior, a woman from Sparta (or any woman from ancient Greece perhaps a poet if she's from Athens), and Soldadera (Mexican female soldier) from the Mexican Revolution. Of course, alien technology would have a translator so that everyone could understand and speak their native language. It'd be really fun as a writer to write the fish-out-water hijinks and cultural confusion the characters might face. However, since they're in a dire situation, all the characters put their differences aside (perhaps the French woman wouldn't be too happy to see the Zulu warrior. Or the samurai wouldn't consider the Soldadera a real soldier because she's a woman) to escape from the alien base and get back home to their respective time period. And perhaps they'll bond too! I think the Zulu warrior and the Samurai would get along with their love of battle and sense of loyalty and discipline. The Soldadera and the black Union soldier would become friends because they know what it's like to fight against discrimination and for the right to live. While the French and Greek woman would bond over their share of the arts and influence of feminity. Meanwhile, the Chinese Philosopher is a student of Confucius and is cool with pretty much everyone.   

I really like this idea. Hey, everyone! Please tell me what time periods you'd pluck people out of in this scenario? Naming historical figures are fine also long as all the people you choose are named historical figures (Not like: Ghengis Khan, then a random nameless person from Victorian times). 

Edited by EbonyBetty
  • Like 2

Anyone up for a Slaughterhouse Five scenario for a cRPG? Where aliens abduct humans and put them in "people zoos" to observe them, and the main quest is to escape. However, I want to step it up a notch and have them abduct humans from different time periods and put them together. Like an African American Union soldier, a samurai, a French noblewoman from the French revolution, a Chinese philosopher, a Zulu warrior, a woman from Sparta (or any woman from ancient Greece perhaps a poet if she's from Athens), and Soldadera (Mexican female soldier) from the Mexican Revolution. Of course, alien technology would have a translator so that everyone could understand and speak their native language. It'd be really fun as a writer to write the fish-out-water hijinks and cultural confusion the characters might face. However, since they're in a dire situation, all the characters put their differences aside (perhaps the French woman wouldn't be too happy to see the Zulu warrior. Or the samurai wouldn't consider the Soldadera a real soldier because she's a woman) to escape from the alien base and get back home to their respective time period. And perhaps they'll bond too! I think the Zulu warrior and the Samurai would get along with their love of battle and sense of loyalty and discipline. The Soldadera and the black Union soldier would become friends because they know what it's like to fight against discrimination and for the right to live. While the French and Greek woman would bond over their share of the arts and influence of feminity. Meanwhile, the Chinese Philosopher is a student of Confucius and is cool with pretty much everyone.   

I really like this idea. Hey, everyone! Please tell me what time periods you'd pluck people out of in this scenario? Naming historical figures are fine also long as all the people you choose are named historical figures (Not like: Ghengis Khan, then a random nameless person from Victorian times). 

This is good idea, also because you could make this playable. Different characters could be useful in every time period. For example: the weapons of the soldier are powerful in the middle ages, but she has to save her ammunition and to be protected by the more meele-savy Samurai. Maybe somebody could add a mechanic, were some characters get back home, but then you lose them forever? Your characters are useful, but if you love them, you let them go back and they never return.

Pyre did this in an interesting way. 

The Aliens could also use different kind of technology, so there is enough varriety in combat. This is fun. I want this^^.

Edited by Harry Easter
  • Like 2

Have you ever read Riverworld? The premise is pretty much this, where all cultures of human history up to 2008 have been mysteriously reborn on an alien planet. The series then focuses on the contact events between various cultures, how they manage to communicate (Esperanto is finally useful), and conflicting moral values. Great read, but avoid the adaptations. 

Apart from that though, I'd be interested by a meeting of the same culture through multiple periods. For example, what would the meeting of precolonial/ Apartheid / and modern South Africans think of each other. How would feverent communist Chinese revolutionaries react to modern capitalist China? What about the various stages of the Vatican/ Haifa / Kairouan?

• Like 2

This is good idea, also because you could make this playable. Different characters could be useful in every time period (for example: the weapons of the soldaera are powerful in the middle ages, but she has to save her ammunition and to be protected by the more meele-savy Samurai) and maybe somebody could add a mechanic, were some characters get back home, but then you lost them (Pyre did this in an interesting way. Your characters are useful, but if you love them, you let them go back and they never return).

The Aliens could also use different kind of technology, so there is enough varriety in combat. This is fun. I want this^^.

Honestly, I've been thinking a lot about this post during lunch. 

Soldadera: 

• The Medic. Soldaderas during the revolution were mainly nurses 
  • weapon: long-barrel six-shot revolver, machete for melee
  • Perk: Ralling Cry -  allows group members to feel invigorated and ignore wounds for a time and sometimes grants an extra move

Union Soldier:

• The Sniper
  • weapon: long range gunpowder rifle, bayonet at end of rifle for melee
  • Perk: The Gunsmith - because the Union soldier is used to having his gun jam in battle he's perfected the art of fixing it. He's the only character that can fix any and everyone's weapon besides his own as well as help with upkeep or upgrade

The Samurai 

• The Swordsman
  • weapon: katanna, bow and arrow for range
  • Perk: Disciplinary- as a man of discipline the samurai can help the other companions train, allowing them a damage perk or accuracy perk.

The Zulu Warrior

• The Strategist
  • weapon: iklwa stabbing spear (medium range and can be thrown and retrieved again) and oval cow hide shield (making him a tanky character)
  • Perk: Bullhorn - as a devout follower of Shaka Zulu, the Zulu warrior is very familiar with Shaka's Bullhorn formation that crushed the British. This allows him to know each companions' most effective formation and grants a defense perk or intimidate buff.

The Chinese Philosopher

• The Conscience  
  • weapon: dense wooden staff (medium-close range) and flying knives (long range, low damage)
  • Perk: Meditation - Acting as the emotional core of the group the Chinese Philosopher implores companions to meditate when not fighting. This allows companions to be less likely to go into a panic during battle or allows razor sharp focus which can grant more critical hits.

The Scholar from Athens 

• The Poet
  • weapon: curved kopis, stones/sling (low damage but high chance of stun)
  • Perk: Ballard - While most women in Athens were subjected to "woman's work" and few rights, the Scholar's husband saw potential in his beloved wife and sent her to the School of Alexandria in Egypt. She learned many things while abroad and has had debates with the likes of Socrates. However, undoubtedly she's a spectacular singer. As if a daughter of Orpheus, the Scholar and her lyre can distract the enemy with her lovely song, allowing an Enraptured debuff or Lulled debuff on the enemy. 

The Noblewoman from 1700s Revolutionary France

• The Socialite
  • weapon: Instead of waiting around for her head to get chopped off by an angry mob, the Socialite became proficient in weapons for self-defense such as fencing with a duelist sword (short-medium range) and flintlock pistol (medium range)
  • Perk: (I'm actually having trouble coming up with a perk for her, please help!!)
Edited by EbonyBetty
  • Like 1

So I've been replaying Freedom Force (which holds up surprisingly well), and I realized there really is no superhero rpgs. Now what I want isn't something like the Marvel/DC movie shlock, but rather a send up toward the more cerebral and high minded superhero works. Imagine a work combining Uncanny X-Force, Hickman's Avengers, Grant Morrison's Batman, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Starman, Worm, and Invincible into an awesome game. Dream game right there

• Like 2

This topic has a plethora of ideas that i'd love to see come into existence, but i'll just add one more idea because imo it's too cool not to suggest.

What about a (low fantasy or realistic?) setting reinterpreting the era of the Spanish inquisition? As some might know there's quite a bit of real life lore(history?) attached to this era. The exquisite Spanish architecture of this age would add to the immersion, they really had some good taste back then. There were so much (secret) societies that were involved in how this age came into being. I would advice anyone interested in the idea to read up on it for a bit. The low fantasy part of it could be that there would be actual witches to encounter/play as using minor magical effects. The other side would be rounding them up.
Politics and deception played a large role in this age, I think that would make for some good questing and uncovering plots as you go along. The story wouldn't necessarily have to be historically accurate for the sake of enjoyment, but I feel there's a lot to draw from this rich history.

Edit; btw the inquisition didn't solely include rounding up witches, also other heretics but I feel for a fantasy game it would be most usefull to emphasize that part. Ofcourse you could have a plotline about uncovering a society that practiced rituals for personal gain or winning wars or whatnot.

Let me know what you think, hit or miss?

Edited by Gh0stsmatter
  • Like 1

So I've been replaying Freedom Force (which holds up surprisingly well), and I realized there really is no superhero rpgs. Now what I want isn't something like the Marvel/DC movie shlock, but rather a send up toward the more cerebral and high minded superhero works. Imagine a work combining Uncanny X-Force, Hickman's Avengers, Grant Morrison's Batman, Ostrander's Suicide Squad, Starman, Worm, and Invincible into an awesome game. Dream game right there

Ostrander was my writing teacher in the early 2000's, unfortunately he was not a miracle worker. 

Imagine if our Puritan ancestors met the average modern American.

The inquisition gets a worse rap than they deserved, mainly due to Protestant propaganda that was generally accepted until the 20th century.

Im playing Darklands right now and it does a great job of mixing the realities of history with superstition, which was very much real to many of these people. I often chuckle when I see modern views of reality that people are so sure of, one day our decedents will look on our views and society they same way we look at our ancestors. 

• Like 1

• The Socialite
  • weapon: Instead of waiting around for her head to get chopped off by an angry mob, the Socialite became proficient in weapons for self-defense such as fencing with a duelist sword (short-medium range) and flintlock pistol (medium range)
  • Perk: (I'm actually having trouble coming up with a perk for her, please help!!)

Perk: Mocking - The sharp tongue of the socialte was always a double-edged sword. With Mocking she can attract the attention of her enemies, so they may attack her and not her companions. Hopefully her sword didn't get rusty.

Okay now ... where is the Kickstartermoney for this :D?

• Like 1

With the release of season 2 of The Expanse over here in the UK on Netflix, I would like to add I would love Obsidian to do a game based on this.  It's like my perfect sci-fi!

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• The Socialite

Perk: Mocking - The sharp tongue of the socialte was always a double-edged sword. With Mocking she can attract the attention of her enemies, so they may attack her and not her companions. Hopefully her sword didn't get rusty.

Okay now ... where is the Kickstartermoney for this :D?

You and me, Harry Easter, let's copyright this s*** up right now. Someone get Brian Fargo on the phone, we've got money maker in the works. But in all seriousness thank you for the compliment! :D

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I seriously want Obsidian to make a Rick & Morty game. 

Please let that happen, god...please. I mean I know you don't exist and I am probably just talking to myself but still...P L E A S E!

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.