After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

btsam

Something unique. Something they've always wanted to make. That's what I want their next game to be. Because it's the unique games that become legendary. It's the games a developer has always wanted to make that he puts most effort into. Those are the games that have a soul, the games that just feel right. Those are the games that are most fun and most motivating to me.

I love the companions in PoE, and the lore is well detailed, but somehow it feels too much like a BG without the DnD license. I can't help it. Most of the best and most atmospheric games that I've played weren't copies of anything. Exceptions like Arx Fatalis only prove the rule. ;)

Don't worry, I'll still buy PoE II, because I miss Edér and Pallegina. Actually, I'm missing all of my companions except for Durance. I don't like him at all. And that murderer from Caroc. I didn't even pick him up, because I wasn't playing an evil character.

Too pathetic? Okay, okay, I'll admit it. I'd like steampunk or science-fiction. Or maybe urban fantasy. Something that hasn't been overused in RPGs yet.

By the way, Sony is still looking for someone who has a good concept for a new Anachronox. Modernize the combat system, work a bit on the lore, add some good graphics, and you could create the new Mass Effect without copying Mass Effect. (Hey, a woman needs her dreams, okay?)

I think Obsidian is very fond of TSR period. When I look at PoE's monster illustrations, I feel this is very similar to Dragonlance's art style;Tyranny is a bit closer to Dark Sun.I think they are trying to create a feeling like "In parallel earth, this game should appear in 1989".

• 2 weeks later...

The system is serviceable, not great.  Exploration is the selling point, but the combat is decent enough (especially in later games) to make it worthwhile.  The enemies and battles can get quite varied, but frequently your character will do the same things over and over again, especially if they're a summoner.

It's a somewhat loose class based system, where your classes give you advantages on skills everyone can take.  There are three archetypes to aim for here: warrior, spy-mage, or summoner.  The spy mages used ranged weapons and a lot of magical spells, particularly damage.  The warriors use physical weapons and self-buffs.  The summoners obviously summon creatures and also buff.  Maintaining a summoned creature takes a permanent chunk out of your mana, and you can unmake them to get it back.  As you explore, trainers and canisters (that rewrite your DNA) can improve your summons, eventually letting you summon an upgraded type of creature.  However, creatures level up if you keep them alive, which can make them substantially stronger, so there's a neat tension between summoning new creatures and leveling up old ones.

I you could only play one, which one would you play? I read a long time ago 3 was really well done... or maybe it was 4.

For setting I would like to see a Medieval Europe dominated by a Vampire caste that came to power 200 year earlier. Thier power has weakened with the coming of the Plague. Do our heroes help the Vampire lords they serve, or betray them for thier own kind. 

1, 2, & 5 were probably the best in my books, but not everyone would agree.  I personally enjoyed 1, 5, then 2 the most in that order.  That said, for a single playthrough, I would recommend two the most.  It has the exploration of one, but with a lot more factions and powers that carry through the series.  Five has better writing, but a lot of the experience is aided by 3 and 4.

Also, aren't you describing something like the Legacy of Kaine?

African tribes era or Aztec empire based fantasy would be something fresh.

Man, that would be so cool. If one went down an Aztec mythology inspired route there is just so much potential for a Lovecraftian horror story to go on. Seriously, Aztec folklore is effed. 

• Like 4

Personally I'd be absolutely overjoyed to see Obsidian make a "New Weird" style game, inspired by the works of China Melville, Italo Calvino, and Mervyn Peake. Thankfully, No Truce With The Furies looks like it might scratch that itch

• Like 2

My wishlist:

1. Some kind of Wild West RPG, with any/all of the following characteristics:

- fantasy (dwarven cowboys!)

- no magic

- steampunk

- post-apoc

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

Bingo!

2. A New Orleans-based RPG, preferably first-person to fully enjoy the atmosphere. Either Fallout or Vampire.

• Like 3

Riddick still works for me, RPG lite as it is.

I wouldn't want them to do any "fantasy". I'm just about done with elves, dwarves, wizards broad swords snd chainmails; or their "science-fantasy" counterparts.

I'd really like to see Obsidian doing something more grouded to current day, history not beyond the past 150 or so years, or - more preferably - near future low-scifi.

Yup.

I was thinking earlier, a lost city of atlantis setting would be nice.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

You know, looking at the guns and bombs in the last backer update, I think Obsidian could easily use this engine to do an Arcanum sequel. Just invent one or two more machine/gun based classes, add some dwarves and elves in spiffy Victorian suits, and *boom* you got Arcanum 2: Return of the Machine Lords. 

• Like 1

We are talking hypothetically in here. But realistically what all is on the horizon from Obsidian?

Tim Cain & Leonard Boyarsky: Whatever they already have planned.

Josh Sawyer & Friends: Deadfire -> PoE3

Tyranny Team: Tyranny DLC or Tyranny 2

Probably mentioned already, but any kind of cRPG (old school isometric or third/first person) set in the Dune'verse could be really cool, just for the highly unique and quite different setting alone.

Something story-driven set in Warhammer: 40K would be a real challenge, however I think it could be done by putting the player in the shoes or boots rather, of one of the more prominent and central, already established characters like Gideon Ravenor or Gregor Eisenhorn, for example.

With Tim and Leonard around - another World of Darkness-related RPG, preferably with focus on Vampire: The Masquerade, obviously.

A proper cRPG set in the Lovecraft'verse would be very nice too.

• Like 1

Something story-driven set in Warhammer: 40K would be a real challenge, however I think it could be done by putting the player in the shoes or boots rather, of one of the more prominent and central, already established characters like Gideon Ravenor or Gregor Eisenhorn, for example.

Nah, much rather it be some storyline of their own, there's plenty enough to dig into there. Much more interesting to go for something like Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You know, looking at the guns and bombs in the last backer update, I think Obsidian could easily use this engine to do an Arcanum sequel. Just invent one or two more machine/gun based classes, add some dwarves and elves in spiffy Victorian suits, and *boom* you got Arcanum 2: Return of the Machine Lords.

Whatever Cain and Boyarsky are working on uses Unreal. Personally, an Arcanum style game in that engine would be more than satisfying. Probably much too big and good to be true though.

Rock Star RPG

I'd be down for something like Brutal Legend but focused on one genre (action RPG), rather than several genres mashed into one game with none of them being done particularly well.
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was thinking more along the lines of a game with where you are an up and coming musician and your party could be the band and roadies or groupies or something and instead of combat you could play shows or something. I don't actually have a fleshed out game complete with all the mechanics in my head but I was just thinking of something different. Dunno if it'd have much appeal beyond me but I'd be all over something like that

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I was thinking more along the lines of a game with where you are an up and coming musician and your party could be the band and roadies or groupies or something and instead of combat you could play shows or something. I don't actually have a fleshed out game complete with all the mechanics in my head but I was just thinking of something different. Dunno if it'd have much appeal beyond me but I'd be all over something like that

I like the sound of that...

Reminds me kinda of:

https://youtu.be/cKDYGGh9_4E

An action/rts with rpg elements... really great writing and cameos from Ozzy Ozbourne, David Mustaine and many others. Great writing... even if some people thought it was too kiddish (I don't think so with all of the sexual puns). It was just a great Double Fine game.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Rock Star RPG

I'd be down for something like Brutal Legend but focused on one genre (action RPG), rather than several genres mashed into one game with none of them being done particularly well.

"In a world... without a name, in a heavy downpour; thought he passed his own shadow, by the backstage door..."  Not so foreign to the RPG genre; it could work.

One where you control an elite squad of soldiers that specialize in tunnel fighting

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

African tribes era or Aztec empire based fantasy would be something fresh.

Man, that would be so cool. If one went down an Aztec mythology inspired route there is just so much potential for a Lovecraftian horror story to go on. Seriously, Aztec folklore is effed. 

Oh man these games would be stellar!! I'd love to have an RPG during the war between Ethiopia and Egypt during 1069-653 BC!

• Like 2

Would anyone be interested in an CRPG set during the Ottoman Empire? With companions from Northern Africa, Italy, and Arabia? Man that would be so cool! The Ottoman's Empire aesthetic is so beautiful and there's awesome mythology from there too! Maybe the time period could be during it's height around the 1500-1600? Or entering the Age of Steam and Machine with Europe during the 1800s? Ooooo a steampunk Middle East!! Feel free to add!

• Like 3

Something about time-travel in steampunk setting (so player's meta-knowledge would be acknowledged by the game).

Or cyberpunk. Possibly, with magic and dragons (like Shadowrun). Times of huge technological, economical and social changes are always interesting.

Oh hell yes! I'm so starved for magic during a modern time period. One of my friends drew this kind of mercenary elf holding Uzi. She was feeling experimental that day. 

• Like 1