After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

btsam

Cyberpunk is also a good option.

If them want to do urban fantasy theme,I believe that World of Darkness is a good reference object. :yes:

Urban fantasy can make fantasy elements and realistic events combined,or direct use of the urban legend.I will enjoy playing a paladin in the village of Texas to chase chupacabra, or a ranger at the Canadian border against wendigo. :yes:

Edited by btsam
  • Like 1

If them want to do urban fantasy theme,I believe that World of Darkness is a good reference object. :yes:

Urban fantasy can make fantasy elements and realistic events combined,or direct use of the urban legend.I will enjoy playing a paladin in the village of Texas to chase chupacabra, or a ranger at the Canadian border against wendigo. :yes:

So the lead story guy at White Wolf absolutely hates urban fantasy, or at least hates the idea of the World of Darkness being urban fantasy. I don't know what this will mean for any computer games set in the World of Darkness. I do know a Werewolf computer game is in the works, however.

• Like 1

what is urban fantasy?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The Thirty Years Wars set in an apocalyptic future from the perspective of the Catholic Church.

Awesome.

With Pillars we have kind of a historic setting, so I would like to see how Obsidian would far with Sci-Fi or Steampunk. Or Vampires, combined with Sci-Fi maybe   8) .

A Dawn of the Civilization period setting (early Sumerian Culture Style,The 'Creator' still could be contacted, mix with some Cthulhu elements maybe...)

and Also a Dune like setting (Sand-covered planet, several space noble houses , Galaxy Empire/emperor, and of course not forget the sandworm :p )

last I would say is the Planet of Apes setting (Yep, the protagonists must be those apes)

Edited by Sandro G Meier
  • Like 1

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

Anything that isn't fantasy.

anything is gonna be fantasy. an obsidian crpg is gonna allow a player to control a character (or characters) for whom the impossible is gonna be routine.  whatever setting obsidian chooses for their games is gonna be a fantasy, 'cause even if is set in 1980s LA or 1920s chicago, the extraordinary will become commonplace. any such game is gonna be fantasy.

the genre labels were invented by publishers of pulp magazines during the early 20th century.  sci-fi on the periodical cover were a simple way to let folks know stories within would include stuff such as ray guns and aliens, while fantasy meant there would be dragons and wizards. 'course even the earliest genre writers ignored the silly labels and went ahead and wrote kewl stories.  a princess of mars

is arguable all fiction is fantasy, but regardless am thinking it should be obvious all obsidian crpgs will be fantasy.

gonna limit self to choices we consider to be economic viable for a developer such as obsidian. nothing too wacky.  a john carpenter thing crpg, which could be fun with expanded faction battles in antarctica, is unlikely to ever be developed. however, two settings we think of as genuine plausible is:

1) american civil war and/or early post civil war weird west with coexisting steampunk and magic.

and

2) gaiman's graveyard book.

doesn't need actual be graveyard book, but am thinking a game predominant set in famous and beautiful graveyards 'round the world would be nifty and unique.  sure, the catacombs and environments beneath the crpg graveyards would be extensive and largely imaginary, but there is many graveyards 'round the world which would be ideal locales for a kinda quasi-horror crpg.

oh, and gaiman's man-jacks are a fabulous villainous faction.

graveyard2_540_custom-2d036eb1811d091e2f

in any event, is a déjà vécu thread, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, Secret World missed the mark and Shadow Realms missed the mark so badly it was cancelled

That sounds a bit like Neverwhere (1966). I wouldn't mind a setting based on some of Neil Gaiman's modern fantasy works.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Steampunk or Cyberpunk. Maybe a prehistoric setting.... something with lots of dinosaurs, giant insects and the likes would be cool. Of course race cars.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah, Secret World missed the mark and Shadow Realms missed the mark so badly it was cancelled

That sounds a bit like Neverwhere (1996). I wouldn't mind a setting based on some of Neil Gaiman's modern fantasy works.

fixed

feargus urquhart has mentioned the neverwhere setting as one which interests him.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One word: Wuxia.

I'm pretty convinced Tyranny is wuxia in spirit. The archons all have unique powers specific to the individual, along with a 'power level' hierarchy. These are common tropes in wuxia movies and books. Where Jade Empire focused on the martial arts, Tyranny is like the other half of the wuxia equation, emphasizing fantastical elements.

Or maybe they could do some kind of modern day, maybe 20-min into the future spy action RPG...

You mean something like...    Alpha Protocol Plus?  8)

Edit: Sniped to the point...

Alpha Protocol: Cyberpunk 2199!!!

post-173997-0-93811200-1499823182_thumb.jpg

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

My preference would be for a science-fantasy, martial-arts-adventure RPG. Something like Avatar the Last Airbender meets Star Wars with a story of spiritual growth set against a conflict taking place both in space and on several planets, complete with some sort of climactic space battle where you fight your way to the enemy flagship and board it for the final confrontation with the villain.

As that game will almost certainly never exist, some sort of sci-fi or urban fantasy RPG would be cool. I'm a bit burnt out on medieval and post-apocalyptic settings.

So the lead story guy at White Wolf absolutely hates urban fantasy, or at least hates the idea of the World of Darkness being urban fantasy. I don't know what this will mean for any computer games set in the World of Darkness. I do know a Werewolf computer game is in the works, however.

I think Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is pretty good. :yes:

• Like 1

what is urban fantasy?

A classic fantasy elements and tropes placed in modern urban setting.

WTF so how can White Wolf lead writer hate it, its just their whole setting...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Urban Fantasy tends to be viewed as more of the slide towards Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the pulpy modern day with magic. Also, a big setting for the supernatural romance area of literary creations.

White Wolf tries to view itself as more the gothic horror branch rather than pure urban fantasy.

Edit: Although when you look at it, pretty much every one of White Wolf's World of Darkness setting was an angsty metaphor for teenager.

(Note, not to say that can't be fun. - Except Wraith, that was monumentally depressing)

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Expanse as an RPG made by Obsidian would make me happy in inappropriate places.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Since we're discussing "clones" of other games, I'd like to see Obsidian do their own spin on the Mass Effect-type game.

Or maybe a wild west type game!

Supernatural wild west game. Make it happen!

Hate the living, love the dead.

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

• Like 4

I'd be very happy to see a historical setting.  Or maybe something heavily inspired by an ancient culture.

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

Love this idea.

Hard Science Fiction:

None of that whacked out Numenera stuff, or super high fantasy Star Wars / Mass Effect stuff.

But also not military grit which is what most hard sci-fi ends up being.

I really want Cowboy Bebop; Not the brand but the approach. Keep things just in our solar system and maybe the nearest habitable solar system.

I want that quality of feeling small in a much larger world.

• Like 4

Something wuxia style, maybe placed in China's Warlords Era? I could be either fantasy-like or historical - I would welcome both :)

EDIT: I missed the post 'bout Cowboy Bebop, but yes, that also would be great thing. It was a great crossing of styles - spaghetti westerns, space opera, film noir, and cyberpunk and I think of something similiar (but not the same of course). Also something Might & Magic style would be fun - world, which seems to be pure fantasy style, but with advanced space technology hidden uinderneath.

Oh, Obsidian doing Might & Magic would be awesome too, but it's impossible.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

The owls are not what they seem.