Devil of Caroc bad art design

Just airing my annoyance with the boobed construct. Whoever designed it did a bad job in my opinion.

It's not just that I'm annoyed by the over sexualization of one of my characters, it's also that it ruins the suspension of disbelief for me since it makes no sense in the context of the game. Every other animat in the game, who are of indeterminable sex, are simply depicted wearing armor.

To add insult to injury, she can't even wear any armor that'll make her look less sexualized.

It makes sense in the guy who made the construct, Galvino. Though there's no lore reason why he chose to make that one look female and the rest being generally masculine looking but otherwise not obviously gendered.

I didn't get the sense that character was sexualized in any way and she'd probably stab whoever tried to.

Right! Dat huge over sexualization! At least OBS should have allowed to put her in a burqa or niqab. I mean I really get testosterone overflow when I look at her character sheet. And the centerfold level up screens! Holy moly... 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I don't see it. 

Every other animat in the game, who are of indeterminable sex, are simply depicted wearing armor.

Most all the other animats in the game were made by the Engwithans so they are a different culture that died off. So ye the designs are going to be different. Maybe you feel the design is aesthetically bad but that is subjective. 

I don't really feel that anyone is sexualised in Pillars of Eternity. The closest thing the game has to a good looking character (that's actually used in game, not just a portrait) is probably Pallegina and she's got feathers sprouting out of her head. It seems to have been a conscious design choice. 

Even the brothels in the game are done in a very tongue and cheek way.

It's kind of why Ydwin for PoE 2 felt like such a weird character.

edit: I can't vouch for the men, maybe women find Eder or Aloth attractive

Edited by Livegood118

I don't really feel that anyone is sexualised in Pillars of Eternity. The closest thing the game has to a good looking character (that's actually used in game, not just a portrait) is probably Pallegina and she's got feathers sprouting out of her head. It seems to have been a conscious design choice. 

It's kind of why Ydwin for PoE 2 felt like such a weird character.

edit: I can't vouch for the men, maybe women find Eder or Aloth attractive

Hiravias does kind of go there a little with his curiosity of Pallegina, just Hiravias personality really since he has a pretty intense curiosity. And yeah, you're probably right about Ydwin since it just felt like a departure from what they did with PoE1.

@MaxQuest: Lol, good one. :)

Edited by smjjames

True. That's probably the reason her design looks out of place.

Also in my opinion that's the helmet that suits her best. :)

If you don't want to use it because you want another character to wear it with the corresponding armor: the Ethereal Helm also looks nice on her.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I completely reject the premise that the simple act of having boobs is 'sexualizing' somebody.

But even if I accepted that premise the Devil of Caroc is creepy and horrifying as hell. As she should be. How anybody looks at her and thinks 'sexy' blows my mind. 

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

I'm sure they could have made her look female and unique without the overemphasis on her boobs

jtajBko.png

Hmm, yes, I can see the problem. Her boobs should have had nipples modeled given the period Pillars should have been inspired by.

This is true. Statues were often quite heavily sexualized--Pompeii had a street lined with several score detailed depictions of the god Pan in mid-intercourse with a goat.

Not to pile on the original poster, but considering the time period they're emulating, things should be more overtly nude/natural.  This was a noticeable characteristic of Renaissance art.  As an example, consider Donatello's David which is also made of bronze:

200-322.JPG

Edited by anameforobsidian

I don't really feel that anyone is sexualised in Pillars of Eternity.

This. And it's boring. I love adventuring in Pillars but it's the equivalent of the world of Winnie the Pooh in it's lack of anything sexual.

Have you not heard any of Hiravias' dialogue?  

This. And it's boring. I love adventuring in Pillars but it's the equivalent of the world of Winnie the Pooh in it's lack of anything sexual.

Yep, and not only Hiravias. And that's perfectly fine.

No, actually. Never used him but I probably should.

No, actually. Never used him but I probably should.

His banter with everyone - male and female alike - is hilarious in that regard.