Cipher Power Descriptions are Misleading

So i started a solo cipher recently, my first time playing that class, and just hit level 7 opening up the next tier of powers. I picked silent scream (stun and raw damage, nice) and Pain Block (only cipher heal i've encountered so far, and a defense buff, also nice) but upon trying to actually USE pain block, i find out i can't cast it on myself. This is not mentioned in the description, it only states that pain block may be cast on an "allied target", but pain link, another power i chose earlier, can also only be cast on an allied target, but it includes the casting cipher. Why the inconsistency? Is pain link the exception here, or the rule? Is there a way to avoid choosing powers that are useless for a solo run when i'm given so little info?

Ciphers can't target themselves with powers, this is in the description of the class I believe.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, character creation says, "Ciphers can directly target allies and enemies with powerful soul-focused effects."  That's a little vague, as the player could reasonably assume the Cipher him/herself is included in that.

More direct and clear is the description on the Wiki: "Powers require Focus and a nearby target other than themselves, one with a 'housed' soul. In practical terms, this means that ciphers must always target a nearby ally or an enemy with their powers. It is impossible for them to target themselves, a distant target, or open ground"

Ciphers can't target themselves with powers, this is in the description of the class I believe.

As the OP points out, there is Pain Link which can be cast on the cipher - and it has the same description concerning allies. I think that's the only power that the cipher can benefit from which doesn't involve targeting a friend or a foe. Maybe OBS just overlooked that during development. It's a very nice spell for a retaliation build by the way.

So yes, it's bad description. One of PoE's major flaws is misleading, cloudy or simply erroneous descriptions.

Some cipher powers can only be cast on other party members - not charmed or dominated foes, not summons.

If you want to use these powers with a cipher, you need a second cipher - unfortunately.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Tbh, (testing aside) I never even used Power Pain Link and Power Pain Block in my last two playthroughts (despite having 2 ciphers in the party).

In any case, I have a strong feeling that these two powers alongside with Amplified Wave and (arguably) Going Between should be castable on self.

@OP, if you want to use Pain Block on self, you'll have to modify it's asset (see validTargets field).
Actually, here you go: modified pain_block.unity3d Edited by MaxQuest

Yeah, character creation says, "Ciphers can directly target allies and enemies with powerful soul-focused effects."  That's a little vague, as the player could reasonably assume the Cipher him/herself is included in that.

More direct and clear is the description on the Wiki: "Powers require Focus and a nearby target other than themselves, one with a 'housed' soul. In practical terms, this means that ciphers must always target a nearby ally or an enemy with their powers. It is impossible for them to target themselves, a distant target, or open ground"

The thing I find interesting there is that it specifically states Housed souls which fits with the intended distinguishing difference between Ciphers and Watchers, but a literal reading of that implies they shouldn't be able to affect spirits like Phantoms, Shadows, Spectres, Banshees, etc since they are not 'housed'.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams