The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

I had to google that. I've never seen that show. I am woefully ignorant on all aspects of pop culture!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I had to google that. I've never seen that show. I am woefully ignorant on all aspects of pop culture!

is not so much your ignorance as Gromnir's age. is a bit dated for a pop culture reference, but am suspecting a few folks will recognize w/o google.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've found the only TV shows that hold my interest anymore are on Animal Planet, Nat Geo, or the History Channel. Or sports. I can always watch that. I think that means I'm getting old.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've found the only TV shows that hold my interest anymore are on Animal Planet, Nat Geo, or the History Channel. Or sports. I can always watch that. I think that means I'm getting old.

History channel in the US shows anything history ?  Up here it's just shows about truckers/fishermen/pilots/truck drivers on the 401/jade harvesters or wonderful crap like Ancients Behaving Badly  :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Alias was kind of worth it for the ending, but it did have a lot of ups and downs on the way (and was incredibly, incredibly silly in its own way).

There were a few interesting character arcs 

The whole bad guy pretending to be a good guy, going fully bad, then getting redeemed and be a good guy only to return to the side of the eeeevil due to a need to save his daughter only to go worse when she was killed

was actually quite well done , quite possibly due to Ron Rifkin's portrayal over the years.

But yes, to continue :

The bad guy essentially winning, gaining immortality, only to have his best-friend-turned-enemy do a "I don't have to kill you, only stop you" and essentially bury them both alive under tons of earthworks

was an unusual direction to take at the time.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

if Gromnir had lamented how general mcmaster were playing the part o' the traveler to trump's mr. kosinski, particular w/o any reference to tng, am thinking it would be fair to state our reference were dated.  but honestly, even folks who watched alias a decade and more ago might not have instant recalled momma derenko or prophet five. 

makes you feel better if next time we go with a baa baa black sheep reference? 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That one I had to google. I'm not really up to speed on English nursery rhymes.

Comparing Trump to Kosinksi gave me a chuckle though. Heh.

we were speaking of broadcast tv, so...

w/o explanation, make a challenge o' "hey riceball, i will meet you in the slot at 0630," and am pretty sure folks would simple think us were being cultural insensitive.

HA! Good Fun!

if Gromnir had lamented how general mcmaster were playing the part o' the traveler to trump's mr. kosinski, particular w/o any reference to tng, am thinking it would be fair to state our reference were dated.  but honestly, even folks who watched alias a decade and more ago might not have instant recalled momma derenko or prophet five. 

HA! Good Fun!

I would have immediately gotten it 

Free games updated 3/4/21

HA! Good Fun!

I would have immediately gotten it 

manifested and yourself would be two folks we suspect would instant recognize.  even so, apologies for failing to recognize your encyclopedic star trek knowledge.  "shaka, when the walls fell."  will be more careful in the future.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

Alias has been a while now but... showing your age for knowing it? What? What am I then for having watched TNG when it originally aired? Ancient? :o

If you watched TOG when originally aired, I'd be impressed.
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Alias has been a while now but... showing your age for knowing it? What? What am I then for having watched TNG when it originally aired? Ancient? :o

Nah, not that old, sorry. Well maybe in mind and spirit. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Now if you watched Airwolf when it originally aired that would be something.

As you would admit you watched that.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now if you watched Airwolf when it originally aired that would be something.

As you would admit you watched that.

*snort*

airwolf and blue thunder were competing tv shows both based on a 1983 movie 'bout a kinda covert police helicopter, blue thunder.  the blue thunder tv show, cast including bubba smith, **** butkus and dana carvey, were vast superior to airwolf.

actual, we can't say which show were better as we didn't actual watch much of either.  did see the original movie though. even so, a **** butkus, bubba smith, dana carvey dramatic tv show 'bout an urban stealth helicopter sounds like can't miss tv to 2017 Gromnir.

broadcast tos star trek were before our time, but we do recall, on our summer trips to chicago, watching the man from atlantis and the six million dollar man.  battlestar galactica were a bit later. were earliest broadcast scifi for us. from time we were in high school, tos were kinda a mainstay on weekday afternoon tv.  would need to rush home from football/track practice if we didn't wanna miss the start o' star trek. right before/at dinner time would be re-runs o' tos star trek.  musta seen every episode dozens o' times. 

didn't have a tv back home in pine ridge, but when we visited family in chicago, we would sit in front o' tv for hours at a time.  best tv stuff we recall were the ubiquitous saturday afternoon "horror" and kung fu movies.  there weren't much genuine horror movies on during saturday afternoons, but there always seemed to be the abbot and costello "meet" movies playing.  were also much danny kaye and similar vaudeville kinda guys. became a big danny kaye fan thanks to saturday afternoon tv.

even so, is possible a high point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVYGHHc0Es4

arguable better than the original fembots from bionic woman.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we also recall the cathy lee crosby wonder woman tv movie, but that is 'bout as far back as we can recall o' specific tv.

• Like 1

I just watched that entire 7 minutes. And it was Andre the Giant in the suit! :lol: God, how I loved The Six Million Dollar Man growing up. I even had an "action figure" of him where you could peek through a little hole in the back of his head and see his "bionic vision". Other little panels popped of his arm and leg so you could see the mechanics in them. It was glorious. *wipes tear*

I also grew up watching most of the above mentioned shows when they originally aired...but not The Man From Atlantis, never heard of that, going to have to check it out. 

Blue Thunder had a better theme.

Man from Atlantis has Victor Buono in it as a reoccurring bad guy which is fun. Another decent short lived show was David McCallum's Invisible Man.

Airwolf was a Saturday show. I remember it as being dull but for certain age brackets it probably was a good sat show.

Now...who remembers the Phoenix with Judson Scott from 1982? Supertrain? The Fantastic Journey...?

The TV movie The Girl, The Goldwatch and Everything from 1980?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

gonna admit we don't recall supertrain, but we do 'member phoenix.  am embarrassed to admit we liked phoenix. had some similarities to the incredible hulk with the protagonist seeming curse to travel on foot from town to town, solving the locals problems while dealing with a larger quest.  the greatest american hero were released kinda at same time as phoenix, but it lasted longer and were more campy.  watched fantastic voyage, but am pretty sure we had no idea what it were 'bout. time travel and the bermuda's triangle... or maybe not.  was it on at the same time as logan's run?  

HA! Good Fun!

I think only three (?) Episodes of The Phoenix aired - we watched them all. I think it has a much worse reputation than it deserved.

Supertrain was a sci-fi love boat set on an atomic train. Really weird concept.

Fantastic Voyage faced the one-two punch of The Waltons and Welcome Back Kotter / Three's Company on the other networks. Mostly all I recall is the Bermuda Triangle and Roddy McDowall.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So for the completely random and from nowhere, this mild amusement and quirk of an eyebrow:

Blockchain - Information about a Bitcoin transaction

That's somebody sending $160 million in Bitcoin over the internet. Transactions costs were 0.00016201 BTC ($0.7).

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So for the completely random and from nowhere, this mild amusement and quirk of an eyebrow:

Blockchain - Information about a Bitcoin transaction

That's somebody sending $160 million in Bitcoin over the internet. Transactions costs were 0.00016201 BTC ($0.7).

People still use 'whois'?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nah, not that old, sorry. Well maybe in mind and spirit. ;)

Man, I used to watch this:

I must be a fossil.  :grin:

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

https://www.amazon.com/review/R2PLPYMZPGJ5JQ/

I think this guy is not a fan of Stephen Ambrose (man behind Band of Brothers)