The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Hmm, so is anybody actually responsible for any of their actions? Every problem is splained away with; cray cray, mistreated, mentally scarred, physically scarred, failure of "the system" or failure of "friends and family". Alrighty then. :thumbsup: Just so I have a good starting reference point, can anyone provide me any example of a bad situation that is the fault of the individual?

Well, every thing happens for a reason, doesn't hurt to look at why.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

free rider problem is always present with social programs.  is a legit concern.  however, in the case o' homeless...

can help the homeless and some who do not "deserve" aid will be taking advantage o' your compassion.

or

can withhold help from the homeless and the children, the disabled, the metal impaired and others who endure hardship through no fault o' their own will continue to suffer.

the choice is yours to make.  not a difficult choice for Gromnir.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Holy moly, weve gone full echo chamber. "Deserve"..."compassion"...this is just mental fapping...I never addressed that in any way. Im the one that brought up the shame of how our homeless are treated.  Now we have it whittled down to the sick, lame and challenged. What about the elderly, you monsters! "Responsibility" (oh that dirty word!) does not remove sympathy.

Holy moly, weve gone full echo chamber. "Deserve"..."compassion"...this is just mental fapping...I never addressed that in any way.

"Hmm, so is anybody actually responsible for any of their actions? Every problem is splained away with; cray cray, mistreated, mentally scarred, physically scarred, failure of "the system" or failure of "friends and family""

your dismay is... amusing.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, anything to justify a shrug of the shoulders , I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

HA! Good Fun!

Considering that you had already busted out the "soulless" crocodile tears before I even made that post, I'm not surprised that you don't get it.

What does that even mean?

Irony is that people think the government should do something about the homeless instead of them shutting down people trying to help the homeless?

The irony is the people want the "government" to help the homeless. This usually comes from the misguided notion that nothing ever happens except when the "government" does it. But instead of helping the homeless the government hurts them by shutting down the people who actually ARE helping them. And I might add, doing it in such a way that costs the tax payer nothing. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Irony is that people think the government should do something about the homeless instead of them shutting down people trying to help the homeless?

The irony is the people want the "government" to help the homeless. This usually comes from the misguided notion that nothing ever happens except when the "government" does it. But instead of helping the homeless the government hurts them by shutting down the people who actually ARE helping them. And I might add, doing it in such a way that costs the tax payer nothing. 

I didn't read all the articles, but I assume it is because it messes up the neighborhoods. I mean, technically it will cost taxpayers money because you need more police in the area, and it can lower property values which can affect taxation as well. Obviously it's not a good excuse, since it just pushes the homeless to other areas, but I imagine the neighbors don't care as much about that.

Heck, We have cities that give the homeless free train tickets to get them out to other towns here.

"Fun" fact: In the 1990s in Sweden, our politicians gave the police a new kind of regular assignment: picking up homeless individuals, boozers, and substance-abusers, and driving them from nice gentrified central areas with expensive housing in bigger cities, and then dumping the poor sods in the nearest not-so-nice projects-packed suburbs. I wish this was a joke, but it was a new directive, and it is still enforced today.

"Down town cleaning" with a bad taste in our mouths.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

HA! Good Fun!

Considering that you had already busted out the "soulless" crocodile tears before I even made that post, I'm not surprised that you don't get it.

What does that even mean?

Well as was said earlier, it is tempting to just take the easy way and wash your hands of things.

Heh, we had a local politician that once offered a "final solution" to the homeless problem. Dude was too dim to notice how bad that phrase was :lol: . Toronto does receive homeless shipped here from out of town, well or used to.

lord only knows what makes you question the sincerity o' our sympathy for the homeless, but regardless, previous to our first post regarding this topic, you had already "busted out" with your blanket condemnation o' the homeless, seeing as how most 'o 'em are in their unfortunate straits 'cause o' their own poor decision making vis-a-vis substance abuse. 'course given your inability to follow the ordering o' events as recent as a few posts ago, am not surprised you don't get it.

HA! Good Fun!

I was homeless once for about a week. Wasn't all peaches and gravy believe it or not.

peaches and gravy sounds like some kinda hideous kanadian poutine variant... made more likely by climate change. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/canadian-peaches-and-california-coffee-how-farmers-are-being-forced-innovate-face-climate-change-180963720/

just doing our part to be bringing back to the raison dêtre o' the thread.

HA! Good Fun!

Still not sure how that's ironic. Terrible, maybe. Ironic, though?

The irony is the thing that people seem to think is there to "help" does the opposite of helping.

Take that guy that thinks the earth is flat for example. Here is a fellow who thinks we all live on a flat disk at the center of the universe and everything we've ever been told is fake. And to prove it he's going to climb onto a rocket fuel bomb he built himself and blast himself into space. Clearly this is a fellow we'd be better off if he were removed from the gene pool. And he was likely about to do that for us. But noooo the government has to step in and screw THAT up! :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The following is, mathematically, simply true:

1+2+3+4+...=-(1/12)

That doesn’t make sense. At all. Why a specific number? Why a small one? Most importantly, why a negative one???

But it is true

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_%2B_2_%2B_3_%2B_4_%2B_%E2%8B%AF

Think about the philosophical implications.

Seriously.

Descartes once claimed that an evil demon could make me believe that 1+1=3. I always thought that was a bit of a stretch. Apparently not. Turns out we actually can’t know, or at least understand, anything.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

lord only knows what makes you question the sincerity o' our sympathy for the homeless, but regardless, previous to our first post regarding this topic, you had already "busted out" with your blanket condemnation o' the homeless, seeing as how most 'o 'em are in their unfortunate straits 'cause o' their own poor decision making vis-a-vis substance abuse. 'course given your inability to follow the ordering o' events as recent as a few posts ago, am not surprised you don't get it.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh I see, were pissing over percentages. Ok, we'll use your handwavium numbers; 25% kids, 20% cray, and some undefined "large number" of disabled and controlled substances abusers. Its that mysterious last number which I refer to as being in that situation by their own design. And its totally okay with me that my ability to feel the worlds pain is lower than yours. :yes:

The irony is the thing that people seem to think is there to "help" does the opposite of helping.

Yes, it sucks that the people who should be helping aren't doing so and in fact are stopping people from doing so. The people saying the government should do something, but it doesn't? Awful. That government is clearly crapping the bed and not serving the people as it should be. It really sucks that the government keeps telling people what they can't do and should leave to the government when they don't do it itself. It's terrible. It sucks. The government which is clearly run by the wrong people, and if people want the government to do something about the homeless they should surely vote for people who have that as a part of their platform next time to rectify this situation. But... well....

If the government DID take an initiative to deal with the homeless and in doing so actually created more homeless and create a larger barrier for them to stop being homeless, now that would be ironic. But since they're not dealing with the homeless, and just being terrible jerks to people who are, then they're just terrible.

Now, a country that wants the government to do something about the homeless and proceeding to vote Trump into office, THAT's ironic.

Take that guy that thinks the earth is flat for example. Here is a fellow who thinks we all live on a flat disk at the center of the universe and everything we've ever been told is fake. And to prove it he's going to climb onto a rocket fuel bomb he built himself and blast himself into space. Clearly this is a fellow we'd be better off if he were removed from the gene pool. And he was likely about to do that for us. But noooo the government has to step in and screw THAT up! :lol:

Well, not really, I guess they figure his life isn't worth the damage to the grass. Might be a good time to test missile defense though...

• Like 1