The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

For all the fans of your big benevolent governments out there remember this: there is no crime so minor or infraction so small it's agents will not happily kill you to enforce. Right here in the Good Ol' USA the penalty for missing a court date is the summary execution of your entire family by FBI snipers.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A different article I read says the cop fired because the suspect "reached for his waistband". Yeah, my ass. :rolleyes: Why aren't police responsible even for accidents? If a civilian accidentally discharges a weapon and it kills someone, don't they go to jail for manslaughter?

Completely agree with this. If I were in charge I'd give all the police agencies in the country a choice: 1) Give up your firearms while on duty 2) Give up your qualified immunity. You cannot keep both. That's when you'll see police using non lethal means.

They'll always have their "afraid for my life" defense, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Read the article. L0Led at the whining byh the officials about their ban.

SHOCKING NEWS: Alcohol prohibition does not work.   Just ask the Amerikans. :p

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

For all the fans of your big benevolent governments out there remember this: there is no crime so minor or infraction so small it's agents will not happily kill you to enforce. Right here in the Good Ol' USA the penalty for missing a court date is the summary execution of your entire family by FBI snipers.

A big benevolent government requires massive civilian oversight, otherwise it becomes a totalitarian oligarchy.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

one can almost predict which obsidian forumites will be most intrigued by the linked article.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

one can almost predict which obsidian forumites will be most intrigued by the linked article.

HA! Good Fun!

Not the first time that animals have been shown to use stuff to get high or something, catnip for example.

nobody suggested it were a first

"humans aren’t the only creatures that suffer from substance abuse problems. Horses eat hallucinogenic weeds, elephants get drunk on overripe fruit and big horn sheep love narcotic lichen. Monkeys’ attraction to sugar-rich and ethanol-containing fruit, in fact, may explain our own attraction to alcohol, some researchers think."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Turns out that some Australian birds of prey intentionally use fire as a tool rather than incidentially. https://www.inverse.com/article/40018-australian-birds-light-prey-on-fire The research doesn't say whether this is a learned behavior passed down by parents or more instinctual, but it's definetly interesting. They can't create fire themselves though, obviously.

Should be a nice blowback from this. Hopefully they rotate the cop through a warzone. I loved his threat to arrest more for 'public intimidation' :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Federal charges against Cliven, Ammon, and Ryan Bundy dismissed with prejudice. https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/judge-in-las-vegas-dismisses-case-against-cliven-bundy-2-sons/

This stems back to the big stand off in Nevada a few years ago. The BLM decided to resolve a simple grazing contract dispute with automatic weapons, snipers, mace, and beatings. Oh, and a flagrant disregard of the 4th Amendment.  I would not go so far as call the Bundy's the "good guys" but the government was definitely the "bad guys" in this debacle.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Federal charges against Cliven, Ammon, and Ryan Bundy dismissed with prejudice. https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/judge-in-las-vegas-dismisses-case-against-cliven-bundy-2-sons/

This stems back to the big stand off in Nevada a few years ago. The BLM decided to resolve a simple grazing contract dispute with automatic weapons, snipers, mace, and beatings. Oh, and a flagrant disregard of the 4th Amendment.  I would not go so far as call the Bundy's the "good guys" but the government was definitely the "bad guys" in this debacle.

the bundy folks is bad guys.  doesn't matter though.  US system is a bit weird.  most o' the rest o' the civilized world do not let bad guys go free 'cause the government made a mistake or acted unlawful.  govt. malfeasance is not a "get out of jail free" card virtual anywheres but the US. may not be logical, but there is wisdom in the US system, even if we personal do not like it.  to discourage future malfeasance by the govt., bad guys is allowed to walk free when government is a wrongdoer. doesn't matter if the defendant is a bad guy as govt bad actions trump. bundys is bad, but it don't matter in this case.  government can't get away with doing wrong 'cause it is later shown the victim o' the govt wrongdoing were also a bad guy.  the State is held to a higher standard. 

there is any number o' practical disadvantages to being a defendant in a criminal proceeding.  however, there is many systematic advantages to being the defendant.  with competent counsel (if the defendant is able to afford such) there is much challenge to getting a conviction o' even the obvious/clear guilty in the US system... which like it or not, is part o' the design. should never be surprised when bad cops or bundys or evil drug dealers go free.  the system is consciously rigged to favor such folks. 

HA! Good Fun!

I suppose the big question is whether it is better to falsely imprison someone, or let a guilty party roam free. 

agreed... but is difficult for many to accept the injustices which results.

“for the law holds, that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.”

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

am gonna add one thing by noting how exclusion ain't so much protection o' innocence or future innocence.  rules 'which set guilty free when govt violates rules ain't so much 'bout protecting the innocent as is 'bout protecting rights of everybody, innocent or guilty.  is the kinda thing which should make gd happy 'cause makes rights more important than justice or even people.  we go to great the lengths in this country to protect intangible ideals from government interference, even to the point we is protecting wrongdoers, evildoers, from the State. 

HA! Good Fun!

Wasn't the whole Bundy situation about the govt taking things it's not supposed to have the right to and them fighting back?

Weither they bad guys or good, I'm happy to hear the result.

Besides morality is subjective, govt making what can be own subjective....