The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Maybe that was why I liked Empire best. Not only did it make the Empire seem dangerous it didn't rely on a "superweapon".

In practical economics though the cost of building the Death Star would have been ruinous. The cost of losing it more so. They would not have been able to build a second one. And the writers would have needed to put a little more effort into Return of the Jedi which would not have been a bad thing.

It sucks growing up and seeing all the major plot holes and logic fails in the stories you loved as a kid doesn't it?

Star Wars probably has an cRPG economy, where the merchants have infinite gold to buy things, and the Emperor and Darth Vader just did a couple of dozen dungeon crawls, carried every single piece of armor and weapons out of the dungeons, sold it to the merchants and used the gold to fund the Death Star.

The reason why the Emperor doesn't show up until Empire is that he was doing a massive 99 level dungeon crawl to fund the second Death Star during it.

That's my new head canon

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/deadly-1991-hamlet-fire-exposed-high-cost-cheap-180964816/

am not knowing if the incident has been added to current history books.  am thinking it would be useful to teach along side triangle shirtwaist factory fire o' 1911.

"those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On this day in 1966 NBC aired the first episode of a cheesy Sci-Fi series, The episode was entitled The Man Trap. The show was, of course, Star Trek. Happy Birthday Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty and everything that came after. Our childhhod would not have been the same without you!

ab98eea5a8b51ed824c109b0bb07a73a--star-t

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Which Marvel comic book hero are you?

Captain Marvel

You're Captain Marvel! You're not afraid to take the lead. You're super intelligent and strong. And you thrown a mean right hook.

:rolleyes:

I got Wanda Maximoff

You're Wanda Maximoff! You're mysterious and able to manipulate people into doing what you want. You had a tough life, but you're ready to make up for your past.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was tempted to throw this up under Agiel's military matters...but it's quirky enough on its own..

Youtube shuts down North Korean propaganda channels

YouTube has shut down two North Korean propaganda channels that academics use to monitor and assess the regime’s missile programs.

Stimmekoreas, the number one YouTube channel on North Korea with more than 20,000 subscribers, and Uriminzokkiri, which had more than 18,000 subscribers, regularly posted of videos of state TV news clips and other footage, attracting millions of views.

On Friday they were terminated for violating YouTube’s community guidelines.

Arms control expert Jeffrey Lewis uses these channels to analyze videos of missile launches and tours of factories, to better understand the regime’s nuclear capabilities. He urged YouTube to revoke its decision in the interest of national security. 

“North Korea is a country with thermonuclear weapons sitting on ICBMs [intercontinental ballistic missiles] that can reach the United States. It is really important to understand them even if we don’t like them,” he said. “That starts by analyzing their propaganda. Even though it’s tendentious, you can learn a lot about a country from the lies they tell.”

Stimmekoreas is believed to be operated by a supporter of North Korea who lives outside of the country and posts very high resolutions videos of state propaganda from the Korean Central News Agency in a variety of languages.

Uriminzokkiri is directly tied to North Korea’s propaganda wing, and posts content that appears to target North Koreans living abroad.

Academics use official footage of missile launches to assess how powerful they are based on how quickly they are accelerating, he said. They can also learn about the weapons from machinery and parts visible in videos of factory tours by supreme leader Kim Jong-un.

“When he visits a factory in the middle of nowhere and stares at machine tools it provides an important insight into the progress they are making,” added Lewis, who is also director of the East Asia Nonproliferation Program at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies.

Stimmekoreas’ very high resolution videos were particularly useful for this type of analysis.

Beyond the missile program, researchers can also learn about the people Kim Jong-un surrounds himself with and who is becoming more and less important in the DPRK’s notoriously precarious political sphere.

“North Korea uses YouTube as a primary distribution network for their propaganda,” said Lewis. “Often you don’t know something is important until later, so having all that information available and searchable was incredibly valuable.”

“Tracking and digitally reconstructing events is going to be more difficult as these accounts get deleted,” added Scott Lafoy, a Washington-based satellite imagery analyst, who spoke to NK News.

YouTube did not immediately respond to questions about why the channels were shut down, although it could be because the advertising revenue generated by the accounts would violate US trade sanctions.

“I know when I click on the videos I get ads,” said Lewis. “So perhaps they are nervous about sending that money on to the North Koreans. But honestly the YouTube ad revenues are not going to make or break the missile program.”

It’s not the first time that YouTube has targeted North Korean propaganda. In November 2016, the video sharing platform closed down KoreanCentralTV1. Several other channels including Chosun TV, NK Propaganda and KCTV Stream were also axed, according to NK News.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Kids needing mental health days? Huh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^Ryan Ashley is a freakin tattoo goddess!!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

am admitted perplexed by the following:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-list-of-the-most-re-watched-star-trek-episodes-is-1803780922

our disappointment in star trek fans might be expressed in predictable fashion.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 1