Politics Episode 8: WWF Edition

Gorth

It's interesting that Namutree mentioned social engineering when that is exactly what you had going on before the Civil Rights Act. I assume you think it is morally reprehensible to not allow black people to sit at the same tables as white people at restaurants, etc. You had a culture of systematic and blatant discrimination in this country. It didn't happen by accident, it was engineered over centuries by one race over another. 

I'm not a fan of big government, but I'm not sure what you see as a solution here that doesn't involve the government. Race wars?

Prior to the civil rights act the state governments were making economic integration illegal. Then the federal government flipped the switch and made economic segregation illegal. Neither is appropriate. The proper solution was to put an end to any laws regarding segregation in business. Those that wanted integrated business would have it, and those didn't wouldn't. No one's rights are violated, and the government's oppression of blacks would be ended.

It was not "one race over another". It was an institution over everyone. If total segregation was the will of whites across the board then segregation laws would need not exist since everyone would do that anyway. In fact, they were conceived because businesses that do not discriminate against other races out compete those that do. The market will resolve the matter on it's own.

The solution to the race issue was to change hearts and minds; not impose the governments will. All state mandated interaction does is foster resentment. I'll go even further and suggest that if not for the government imposing integration on business; race relations would be MUCH better than they are now. Who's racist and who isn't would be clear as day, and not obscured as it is now which is a big part of the problem. 

Light is a disinfectant. Forced integration does not solve the problem; it merely covers it up. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Another entertaining and insightful newsletter from Richard Aboulafia on aviation and Brexit and economic nationalism:

Dear Fellow Le Bourget Melted Tarmac Connoisseurs,

Spexit. I didn’t invent this funny word; it currently gets 49,100 Google hits, and refers to a Spanish EU exit. It’s not a popular idea. Even in Catalonia, where I am now, where just under half the population is pro-independence, open borders and the EU are still hugely popular. This is because the idea of economic nationalism is discredited here. The last guy who promised to Make Spain Great Again died 40 years ago. Spain was stagnant under Franco; even when the economy was okay it was a sluggish, inbred society. The local aerospace industry reflected this stagnation. As the UK confronts Brexit, it might want to reflect upon Spain’s experience.

I first visited Spain thirtysomething years ago, and the country was still afflicted with the dismal echoes of Francoist autarky. There wasn’t much innovation, since out-of-box thinkers were routinely exiled, or shot. The military was just beginning to figure out that the enemy was located outside the country, not inside it. The country’s aerospace industry was focused on building aircraft for national requirements. It seldom worked with global partners, and seldom built anything exportable. CASA’s corporate history, a lovely two-volume cloth-bound set, shows little work of lasting value being done by the company before the 1980s.

After Franco began his valiant struggle to remain dead (per 1975 Saturday Night Live), Spain opened up. So did its aero industry. CASA partnered with other companies in other countries, took more risk-sharing partnerships, and ultimately was absorbed by Airbus. Aernnova emerged as a noteworthy structures firm. ITP emerged as a global engine partner company, to be acquired by Rolls-Royce. Spain’s A400M and Eurofighter assembly lines may be the last of their kind.

Today, Spain produces many important composite structures, systems, and turbine components, but almost all for global customers. This isn’t the same as producing planes under license or building small props for local use, but it is generally profitable. Much of the country’s economy has morphed along similar lines; SEAT, for example, was like CASA for cars, and like CASA it is now owned by a global company (Volkswagen). That’s why nobody takes Spexit seriously. It was already tried under Franco, and it was dumb. 

The UK is a different story. The Brexiteers promised to Make Britain Great Again. They won. And from an aerospace perspective, that’s intriguing, because unlike Spain, the UK’s aerospace industry has a truly glorious past. But it was seldom, if ever, a profitable past.

Worse, the UK Government shows no signs of funding or supporting a return to this past. The RAF’s F-35s are coming from a foreign line, with Pratt engines and no plans to restore UK fighter sovereignty. In fact, right after the Brexit vote, at Farnborough last year, the government announced big plans to buy AH-64Es and P-8s from Boeing, but with nothing for UK industry. The original Apache buy came with mandated local production by Westland (Leonardo today) and Rolls-Royce engines. This time, Boeing will rebuild the helicopters, and they will use GE engines. Similarly, the P-8 buy comes with no local content (other than what’s baselined on all P-8s). Britain’s long history of building maritime patrol aircraft – Shackletons and Nimrods in the post-War era – has conclusively ended.

Without a back-to-the-future plan, the UK aerospace industry will stay on its current path: as globalized as Spain’s, only much larger and more important (to the UK economy and to the world). All Airbus wings – over 1,200 per year – are produced in Britain, with their parts imported from all over the world. Some 90% of GKN’s business is outside the UK, with a similar percentage for Rolls-Royce and other UK firms. So, the future of UK industry depends on the terms of Brexit. 

Yet the road to Brexit is not starting well. This month’s election produced comically disastrous results for Prime Minister Theresa May, who somehow managed to make opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn look like a serious person, which he isn’t. A weakened May still insists that “Brexit means Brexit” but seems to have no idea about how to handle the upcoming negotiations with the EU. They have two years (from March) to come to an agreement, and the EU has every incentive to make this painful to the UK, as a cautionary lesson for other would-be EU exiters.

The default outcome of these negotiations is no deal, or a hard Brexit. The UK would need to negotiate its own trade agreements, quickly, and hope that the EU would be generous with them. Without new agreements, all those aero components coming in to the UK could be inspected and taxed. All those UK wings and engines going out of the UK could be inspected and taxed. Engineers and workers crossing borders could need new professional certifications, work visas, and be subject to income taxes.

That’s just the start of it. Pan-European technology development funds would dry up. Air access agreements would need re-negotiation. The age of pan-European programs will likely come to an end, since Germany would be unlikely to work on future European military aircraft without UK involvement. Notably, in May Germany requested its first classified F-35 briefing. This month, El País reported that Spain will likely follow them.

The rest of the world seems to be slowly backing away from closed borders. The Trump administration has reversed every single daft Make America Great Again anti-trade idea it ever proposed, particularly the ghastly Border Adjustment Tax (more at tinyurl.com/yb52qqfa). France’s Emmanuel Macron campaigned and won in May on a globalization agenda. Germany’s Angela Merkel and Canada’s Justin Trudeau are proving able champions for the cause too. Only Theresa May’s Britain is still eagerly paddling towards the economic nationalism waterfall. 

Almost everyone in Spain knows that Spanish aerospace can’t go back to the old days. I’m not completely sure that everyone in the UK, particularly in government, has quite absorbed that lesson. It is highly unlikely that a hard Brexit will be an extinction-level event for UK aerospace. But it’s deeply unpleasant to watch them take that chance. 

June Aircraft Binder updates include the F-35, V-22, and 737/P-8 reports, and the Regional Aircraft overview. There’s a new Cirrus Vision Jet report too. Have a great month.

Yours, ‘Til A Brexited Westland Helicopters Creates Another 1980s-Type UK Political Crisis,
Richard Aboulafia

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I think that's pretty funny. They put the screws to some Reddit peon. Meh.

There's a fair bit of amusement to be had, starting with CNN having that as their lead story over DPRK's ICBM launch. Also, CNN's actions are potentially at least illegal and it ought to get CNN banned from reddit as well. Neither of which will actually happen, of course, but still.

Indeed, it's a both hilarious and yet oh so depressing thought that CNN may actually have spent more time and effort trying to dox someone who posted a satirical wrestling gif of them than they put into fact checking the entire lead up to the 2003 Iraq War.

the story is kinda "meh."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/analysis-how-cnn-managed-to-anger-everyone-by-finding-then-shielding-the-creator-of-that-trump-wrestling-meme/ar-BBDOabG?li=AA5a8k&ocid=spartanntp

no doxing. no fifteen year-old. nothing obvious illegal.  

cnn did look kinda foolish for seeming going all "better hope there are no "tapes"" on some kinda middle-aged reddit troll.  the seeming implied threat were childish.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Do you buy that nonsense? This is c lear case of bullying, intimidation, and doxing threat. But, that is evil Nazi CNN for ya. I can't believe I once took them seriously. LMFAO.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think that's pretty funny. They put the screws to some Reddit peon. Meh.

There's a fair bit of amusement to be had, starting with CNN having that as their lead story over DPRK's ICBM launch. Also, CNN's actions are potentially at least illegal and it ought to get CNN banned from reddit as well. Neither of which will actually happen, of course, but still.

Indeed, it's a both hilarious and yet oh so depressing thought that CNN may actually have spent more time and effort trying to dox someone who posted a satirical wrestling gif of them than they put into fact checking the entire lead up to the 2003 Iraq War.

Doesn't seem like all that much effort was needed (Reddit user being a careless moron, shock!), but certainly is weird that they'd waste time on it. Do get some satisfaction seeing some troll-type poster get squeezed a bit and buckling. Not sure why CNN would get banned from Reddit due to this, Daily Mail is still allowed to post there along with a lot of other crank sites (The Rebel is the one I'm seeing a lot of, go figure Canada has a lot of angry right wing cranks). So not like they have much of standards :p

Hopefully the guy's name does get leaked, though. That'd make this comedy complete.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know, seriously. Unless he is some cold blooded murder or has some major public job 9thoguh why would someone like that have time to do this) why would he  be scared?

I mean, seriously. All he did was edit some silly video. That happens ALL THE TIME. I'm sure I'm seen that same vid edited to mock Trump before tooo. Or like when he got  stunnered by Steve Austin I saw vid changing Austin to others - Ithink even Hillary Clinton pre election. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd feel bad but anything bad happening to a redditor is good.

In other news there is a budget crisis in the State of New Jersey. The Governor of New Jersey, former Presidential candidate Chris Christie, took the step to close all state parks until the funding impasse is broken. So popular public beaches like Island Beach State Park were closed to the public for the 4th of July holiday weekend. But... that didn't stop the governor from taking HIS family there. And since it was closed to the public they has the whole thing to themselves. 

http://nypost.com/2017/07/02/christie-caught-lounging-on-closed-beach-during-budget-standoff/

Proving once again, "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

I already struggle to tell the difference between Christie and a pig.
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am a bit surprised the kid didn't run with it. He could probably make some decent cash on the talk show circuit.

the kid is some middle-aged internet troll who might have a job and co-workers and friends and family. is not easy being outed as an overt racist in 2017 America, eh?  is not the video which would get the middle-aged gif creator into trouble, but his rather considerable posting history.  like it or not, the President made the "kid" newsworthy, and cnn, or any other outlet choosing to publish his identity, would be well within legal and ethical rights to do so. gif guy wakes up tomorrow and need face the scorn and ridicule o' those closest to him?  am having little difficulty imagining why middle-aged troll wants to retain his anonymity, though we would have at least some measure o' respect for him if he sacked-up and outed himself rather than withering under the implied cnn threat.  

well, no.  in retrospect, whether trollman showed courage or not, we would still think o' him as a d-bag.

also, am doubting the guy woulda' been offered any money by anybody to share his story.  the useful part o' his story were already out there for free.  the pro-trump/alt-right 'news' sites already got a perceived image problem and lionizing such a guy would bite 'em in the arse.  is best for the alt-right to focus on cnn's sin and try and pretend hand______ solo doesn't exist.  guy is a middle-aged basement troll or somesuch?  another joshua goldberg? (thanks again to wod for making mr. goldberg relevant) the only way somebody pays for middle-aged trollman's fifteen minutes is if he makes the alt-right look good by doing so.  keeping this guy anonymous is likely the best possible outcome for trump supporters.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Doesn't seem like all that much effort was needed (Reddit user being a careless moron, shock!), but certainly is weird that they'd waste time on it. Do get some satisfaction seeing some troll-type poster get squeezed a bit and buckling. Not sure why CNN would get banned from Reddit due to this,

I'd count cross referencing reddit and facebook as putting in a fair bit of effort, at least considering how little is usually put in.

I'd have a lot more satisfaction about a troll type buckling if it weren't CNN doing it and if the guy was more at fault. End of the day it's a wrestling gif that got exposure because Trump posted it, it was not an assault on the 4th estate and it is utterly trivial. Yet CNN is so self important that they had them tracking down its author as their lead item, and were both smug and hypocritical about it. Ultimately I end up preferring that something bad would happen to CNN, rather than some random redditor.

Theoretically, if a site doxs or threatens to dox a reddit user by trawling their posts it's a sitewide ban for them from reddit as punishment, theoretically it's about the worst infraction there is. Doesn't have anything to do with quality, it being reddit quality doesn't enter into things. Happened to Gawker, for example. Won't happen to CNN though, as all the CTR Shareblue bots would throw a fit about it.

"cnn, or any other outlet choosing to publish his identity, would be well within legal and ethical rights to do so."

It's ethical to blackmail and dox people!

Gromnir himself said so on his own violition.

Just want to point that out, can be relevant later.

Ha! Good Fun!

Ethical =/= being within legal ethical rights?

didn't say anything 'bout blackmail, but yeah, to include the identity o' a newsworthy personage in a story is neither unethical or illegal.  feel free to repeat as we posted.  the gif were, thanks to the President, a national/international story.  the creator o' the gif became a newsworthy personage.  

"Another popular claim is that CNN threatened to “doxx” the man. That, too, is false. Doxxing involves publication of information such as a mailing address, phone number or email address that is designed to facilitate acts of intimidation. Simply publishing a person's name in a news report, if CNN were to do so, would not qualify as doxxing."

try and label as dox as if doing so transforms standard reporting practices into illegal or unethical is ridiculous.  

"cnn, or any other outlet choosing to publish his identity, would be well within legal and ethical rights to do so."

put it in your signature if you wish.  might be the only useful info in a sharp post, so go ahead and get use out of it with our blessing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I know, seriously. Unless he is some cold blooded murder or has some major public job 9thoguh why would someone like that have time to do this) why would he  be scared?

I mean, seriously. All he did was edit some silly video. That happens ALL THE TIME. I'm sure I'm seen that same vid edited to mock Trump before tooo. Or like when he got  stunnered by Steve Austin I saw vid changing Austin to others - Ithink even Hillary Clinton pre election. LMAO

I would say that reason why CNN went after him was him publishing list names and pictures of all Jewish employees in CNN. 

I would say that reason why CNN went after him was him publishing list names and pictures of all Jewish employees in CNN.

That is false as they found out about it AFTER they went after him. The reason was and always been that he is the author of the Trump wrestling CNN meme.

That list was posted all over twitter same day when Trump posted the meme

Edited by Elerond

Best post. 

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

Dunno, seems to me that if you as a media entity whip up a frenzy yourself then throw someone's name out there in full knowledge that those you've whipped up will be out for blood then publishing a name is dox because you're doing it explicitly to threaten/ punish rather than inform. Funnily enough when Breitbart did similar things without the self interest they were gutter press inciting a mob per the usual suspects, but CNN is somehow just doing their job.

And it's perfectly obvious that CNN and their defenders are aware that it's dox as well- that, more than anything was what made their implied threat so abjectly moronic rather than merely childish because it takes away the defence of public interest and makes it clear that it was done to threaten or punish with public interest being a fig leaf. When the news organisation is the centre of a news story they have to be extremely careful with how they handle it, CNN's response is a case study on how not to handle it like a real journalism would.

Meh, only time 'CNN' and 'ethics' should be near each other is when 'lack of' is in the middle. Ironically, that's one thing they definitely have in common with Breitbart.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

Doesn't seem like all that much effort was needed (Reddit user being a careless moron, shock!), but certainly is weird that they'd waste time on it. Do get some satisfaction seeing some troll-type poster get squeezed a bit and buckling. Not sure why CNN would get banned from Reddit due to this,

I'd count cross referencing reddit and facebook as putting in a fair bit of effort, at least considering how little is usually put in.

I'd have a lot more satisfaction about a troll type buckling if it weren't CNN doing it and if the guy was more at fault. End of the day it's a wrestling gif that got exposure because Trump posted it, it was not an assault on the 4th estate and it is utterly trivial. Yet CNN is so self important that they had them tracking down its author as their lead item, and were both smug and hypocritical about it. Ultimately I end up preferring that something bad would happen to CNN, rather than some random redditor.

Theoretically, if a site doxs or threatens to dox a reddit user by trawling their posts it's a sitewide ban for them from reddit as punishment, theoretically it's about the worst infraction there is. Doesn't have anything to do with quality, it being reddit quality doesn't enter into things. Happened to Gawker, for example. Won't happen to CNN though, as all the CTR Shareblue bots would throw a fit about it.

Really? To me CNN is middle of road for mainstream media in the US but Reddit is just a cancer. Didn't know they have an issue with sites doxing their users, kind of rich that they do. But alright. Not quite sure the wrong kind of shills are that much in charge of Reddit.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That is false as they found out about it AFTER they went after him. The reason was and always been that he is the author of the Trump wrestling CNN meme.

That list was posted all over twitter same day when Trump posted the meme

As was all of his previous posts. That's the meaning of previous.

I'm saying that CNN were not familiar with his posts before they went after him.

They found his previous posts during their investigation they performed because he was the author of CNN wrestling meme.

Trying to spin it any other way is ridiculous.

It's like the police searching someone for weapon and finding drugs instead. Did the fact hey found drugs mean the reason for search was drugs, because they happened to found drugs? Of course not.

But how CNN wouldn't be familiar with his posts as his Reddit handle become known after people started to post in social media that same person whose wrestling meme Trump posted has made anti-Semitic posts (which made it possible that CNN and other were able to find information about him). But somehow CNN didn't know about those other posts when they went after him? 

Really? To me CNN is middle of road for mainstream media in the US but Reddit is just a cancer. Didn't know they have an issue with sites doxing their users, kind of rich that they do. But alright. Not quite sure the wrong kind of shills are that much in charge of Reddit.

People are constantly doxed in Reddit and they don't seem to care much if they aren't threatened with lawsuit

Best post.

You preach no discrimination and equality with that mouth?

Yes. What of it?

People are constantly doxed in Reddit and they don't seem to care much if they aren't threatened with lawsuit

Their dox policy is theoretically very strict, and its inconsistent application is always to favour, well, CNN types on the 'progressive' 'left'- SJWs, Goons (now there's cancer in website form) and the like. Normal people on the other hand get banned for leaving twitter handles in screengrabs and the like. Their major problem isn't doxxing, it's the rampant botting* and hence shilling on pretty much every subject. Meh, people are soft nowadays anyway, they'd melt like the special snowflakes they are if their alternative option was usenet.

*I pretty much only use reddit for their Syrian Civil War subreddit (don't post though, and not a member) and whenever anything big happens it gets invaded by US bots from Elgin AFB andor Russian bots andor JIDF, and it's blatantly obvious that it's happening. The infamously tone deaf HClinton linked Correct The Record (now Shareblue) basically runs their politics subreddit as well.