I knew I'd seen this kind of thing somewhere. It was Arcanum. Not sure how I felt about it, really. Arcanum was a good concept wrapped in a clunky engine and rather atrocious mechanics. But that part wasn't really bad.

Really, though, I used to be super into realism, immersion and stuff. Then I realized it usually comes down to a thin layer that  covers more of the same thing.

I am not interested in increasing AI reactivity for stealing to make game more "realistic." I believe that would make game better. Looting unprotected containers isn't fun. Finding and looting hidden compartments is fun (that's why exploring in something like Thief, Deus Ex or Dishonored is so entertaining) and, If game finds a good balance with its economy and difficulty then a possibility of stealing becomes interesting as well. Sure, if I play a goodish character I probably don't want to steal from peasants but if I could really use extra items I might be tempted. If you play evil character and you steal and murder you get real rewards for that. More money and items in a game where you can pretty much pick up anything you like is not much of an incentive. I remember in White March trying to figure out how could I steal Durban steel ignot from Abydon's temple, when I realised I can just pick it up and not one will really mind. I found that disappointing.

• Like 1