Improper Collection/Vault Amounts

Brood_Star

Question

I've read that since salvaging was taken out of the game, there's supposed to be a back-end system that silently salvages dupe amounts, and limits cards by rarity (e.g. max 4 common, 3 rare, 2 epic, 1 leg). This works for some cards, but not many. I opened a lot of free chests and have, for example, 30 smiths, but only 2 augurys and cures in my collection. I do believe that this dilutes the actual gameplay because I will keep rediscovering the same boons over and over -- for example, I keep finding smiths but I'm still stuck with one augury, which I assume should be trivial to find. I was wondering if this was intended or if there's any fix available

PFID DCB0507B6171F733

4 answers to this question

Treasure cards certainly do have an effect on the overall boon pool, but regardless of how many you have, their effect is somewhat limited.

Not every treasure card is available for game play every scenario.  When you play with treasure cards on, a certain number of treasure cards (~15-25) from each Adventure Deck get randomly chosen and mixed in with the "regular" cards.  The game then uses that set to deal out the location decks for the scenario.  Treasure cards compete with each other to make the cut, then have to compete with all cards to be put into play.

That way, no matter how many treasure cards you have, they should be somewhat capped at 25-35% of the boons in play.

As far as the back-end salvage goes, it is a slow process.  It's more like slowly pruning a Bonsai tree than clear-cutting a forest.  It will come around for your Smiths eventually.  In your situation, everything is working as intended, though, we're in a transition state between the old Salvage system and what the future is ushering in.

Hm, I guess it doesn't work how I expected it at all.

However, I still seem to only discover the same cards over and over. Could you perhaps explain this phenomenon for me? For example, I've never found a Cure in my current playthrough, even though it's a basic card. Whereas I've found about 15+ Beast Skins. In fact, everything under the "Treasure" tabs seem to be weighted like 75%+ higher than everything else -- I have 14 Ranseurs and 28 Spiked Chain +1s but I've never found a Magic Shield, or a Deathbane Light Crossbow +1, so on and so forth.

Hm, I guess it doesn't work how I expected it at all.

Yeah, the process is really opaque.  Maxing out the treasure selection usually isn't too harmful, but if you have an awful lot one particular treasure card, it might skew things pretty hard.  That is an argument for the auto-salvage system.  In many cases, trimming your treasure cards down might actually do a lot to improve the variety of those cards your party encounters.

So, just focusing on a B-Level scenario and spells.  When you start, the game has access to the ~330 B Deck cards, 40 of which are spells.  Before it deals the locations, it will select maybe 20 random B Deck treasure cards and mix them in with the rest of the cards.  The game only has 3 Cure cards, and that includes all those your party may also be carrying.  If it happens to pull in a handful of Beast Skins, it does have some significant effects on altering card probabilities.  

Though, to caveat, I haven't verified that this is how things still work in the latest couple versions.  But, this has been the treasure card process ever since they have first been introduced.  It is possible that a change or bug got introduced to bypass or increase the previous limitations on how many treasure cards the game picks per scenario.

If that's the case, adding 10 Beast Skins into each game would really break things.  The way it used to work (and still may), no matter what quantity of treasure cards you own, about two in three boons you encounter should still be normal RoTR campaign cards.

Edit: No apparent changes in treasure selection.  Your particular set of treasure cards might just be really imbalanced.  Perhaps the auto-salvage will address it eventually.  :(

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Well, I'm understanding how the game works a bit more after some additional playing. For reference, I'd opened up about ~300 free chests. This leads to some very skewed numbers like 40 Smiths against the base 3 Cures.

At the time I made the thread, I was unaware that cards from the board game were limited to their original quantity, and that all the treasure cards were new additions.

What you say seems to indeed be true, in that the treasure cards only seem to take up a percentage of the current playthrough collection, I still find it odd that I've found over 10-20 Beast Skins/Smiths and I've only one Augury, for example, when there should be two from Deck B (and a third from C, if I'm not mistaken?). The same with the Deathbane Light Crossbow +1. Maybe I had discovered another copy of Augury early on and sold it, but I think that would still leave it available to be reintroduced, no? Anyway, I also remember seeing Shalelu and Sheriff Hemlock once, and either failed the checks or sold them, but I've never found them again either.

HOWEVER: Now that I'm actively looking for them, I have found quite a few copies of original cards, like one of two available Hastes, and Father Zantus. So I'm not sure if there's a problem or not, but I think there may indeed be some skewing from the treasure chests, especially because I'd opened a ridiculous amount.

• Like 1