I've been itching to re-do the classic BG2 Inquisitor, a holy warrior with a big-ass greatsword to punish sinners in PoE, but I'm not sure how to build him. Ideally he'd be an off-tank and support character with strong alpha strikes and decent normal damage. I'm thinking of using Tidefall with Shatterstar and a shield as backup weapons when I need more tanking ability.

Thoughts?

Edited by Judicator

No problem, I've moved the thread to the POE: Character Builds Forum.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I played a two-hander Paladin a while ago (on PotD). I went Kind Wayfarer with Strange Mercy and Inspiring Triumph and, wielding Tidefall and an aquebus for starting fights, I did pretty well. I can't remember exactly what my attributes were but they were something like:

Mig 18

Con 8

Dex 10

Per 14

Int 18

Res 10

He did a good job of off tanking, doing not terrible damage and supporting the party.

Long story short: it's definitely a build that can work.

If your INT is high (I guess it is) I can also recommend Hours of St. Rumbalt. Because Sworn Enemy, Zealous Focus and Flames of Devotion lead to a +42 ACC boost, crits with FoD are common. And Hours of St. Rumbalt will do extra damage on crit and also cause prone for a rel. long time (because of crit-prone can be paired with high INT).

If you also put on a burning lash, pick the Merciless Hand (Doemenel), Intense Flames and Scion of Flame then the FoD attacks can get quite nasty.

Another alternative with the same talents/abilities is Firebrand (Forgemaster's Gloves) which works very well with FoD and Scion of Flame.

Tidefall is also very nice. Only thing is that its wounding damage will get spread over a longer period of time when you have high INT while it would get applied quickly with low INT (a bit weird). So, the DPS with Tidefall is highest if you have 1 INT. :)

It's still a great weapon even for max INT characters though.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I played a two-hander Paladin a while ago (on PotD). I went Kind Wayfarer with Strange Mercy and Inspiring Triumph and, wielding Tidefall and an aquebus for starting fights, I did pretty well. I can't remember exactly what my attributes were but they were something like:

Mig 18

Con 8

Dex 10

Per 14

Int 18

Res 10

He did a good job of off tanking, doing not terrible damage and supporting the party.

Long story short: it's definitely a build that can work.

If your INT is high (I guess it is) I can also recommend Hours of St. Rumbalt. Because Sworn Enemy, Zealous Focus and Flames of Devotion lead to a +42 ACC boost, crits with FoD are common. And Hours of St. Rumbalt will do extra damage on crit and also cause prone for a rel. long time (because of crit-prone can be paired with high INT).

If you also put on a burning lash, pick the Merciless Hand (Doemenel), Intense Flames and Scion of Flame then the FoD attacks can get quite nasty.

Another alternative with the same talents/abilities is Firebrand (Forgemaster's Gloves) which works very well with FoD and Scion of Flame.

Tidefall is also very nice. Only thing is that its wounding damage will get spread over a longer period of time when you have high INT while it would get applied quickly with low INT (a bit weird). So, the DPS with Tidefall is highest if you have 1 INT. :)

It's still a great weapon even for max INT characters though.

Why the high INT as opposed to Resolve for better AC or Perception for higher Acc? 

Edited by Judicator

Higher INT mostly for bigger AoE (Zealous whatever aura, Sacred Immolation), better heals (Lay on Hands, Veteran's Recovery if you want to take it), longer buffs (Exhortations) and so on. It also influcences the AoE of the Outworn Buckler's "herald" enchantment should you want to use it. Also affects duration of sumoned weapons (Firebrand). Overall it's a pretty importatn stat for a paladin (unless you're using a very special build). I don't say you have to max it, hust that it's unusual to have low INT on a paladin.

You only need RES for some dialogue options (which will not alter the course of the game or give you anything special that you can't get otherweise) and a bit of deflection and concentration. So, you don't have to max it either. You don't have to max anything actually. This paladin can work well with somewhat balanced stats. 

Edited by Boeroer

Unless you're planning to be the main tank (which your probably not if you're going two handed) you don't really need any extra Deflection over what you get from Faith and Conviction (assuming you max your disposition bonuses). As for accuracy, perception 14 makes you almost as accurate as a base fighter which I find to be fine.

Meanwhile sacred immolation really befits from high intellect and might.

• Like 1

Unless you're planning to be the main tank (which your probably not if you're going two handed) you don't really need any extra Deflection over what you get from Faith and Conviction (assuming you max your disposition bonuses). As for accuracy, perception 14 makes you almost as accurate as a base fighter which I find to be fine.

Meanwhile sacred immolation really befits from high intellect and might.

Really is no main tank in the game though since there is no aggro.  If you are a front liner with lower deflection you will be hit.  Not saying you cant go 2handed and be fine (you def can) but its always a good idea as a front liner Paladin to have a shield encase you get into a bad spot.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Really is no main tank in the game though since there is no aggro.  If you are a front liner with lower deflection you will be hit.  Not saying you cant go 2handed and be fine (you def can) but its always a good idea as a front liner Paladin to have a shield encase you get into a bad spot.

I agree that there's not really such a thing as a main tank per se, but I tend to have one character built tougher than anyone else who I initiate combat with, and they tend to end up tanking more enemies than other meleers simply because they go in first. It's also the character who tanks dragons when necessary: I wouldn't want to tank a dragon with a Resolve 10 Paladin using a two-hander.

I honestly never found the need for a shield on my two-hander Paladin.

• Like 1

I'm seldomly in need of a tank who engages dragons. Usually I charm and/or CC them so they don't hit that many times anyway. It's those encounters with a lot of annoying enemies (Lagufaeth for example) where a dedicated tank who will unstealth first can be really useful in order to take the heat and let the others do their things in the first seconds of a fight. Those seconds can be crucial.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Higher INT mostly for bigger AoE (Zealous whatever aura, Sacred Immolation), better heals (Lay on Hands, Veteran's Recovery if you want to take it), longer buffs (Exhortations) and so on. It also influcences the AoE of the Outworn Buckler's "herald" enchantment should you want to use it. Also affects duration of sumoned weapons (Firebrand). Overall it's a pretty importatn stat for a paladin (unless you're using a very special build). I don't say you have to max it, hust that it's unusual to have low INT on a paladin.

You only need RES for some dialogue options (which will not alter the course of the game or give you anything special that you can't get otherweise) and a bit of deflection and concentration. So, you don't have to max it either. You don't have to max anything actually. This paladin can work well with somewhat balanced stats. 

Gotcha.