Deadfire Archipelago and Aedyr Empire

Hi,

I was wondering : Do we know anything about the investment the Aedyr Empire did, is doing or will do in the region of the Deadfire Archipelago, at present (at the beginning of the second game, that is) or in the past ?

The question seems to me to arise naturally since many powers seem interested in some of the natural resources of the region, reflected by some of the factions, but the Aedyr Empire is puzzlingly or suspiciously absent for what I have read thus far in the race for colonization.

For all we know, is it explained to some degree ?

Thanks in advance for any enlightening answer, for I am trying to create a background for a character I am planning to roleplay through the first and second game.

• Like 1

From my understanding, Aedyr's colonisation interests seemed to stem from Engwithan relic collection.  They didn't seem that interested in much of anything else, the government at least anyway, and seemed more miffed at the loss of access to the ruins than the colony itself when Aedyr revolted.  Maybe its just not that interested in general trade or colonisation perhaps? 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I thought the Deadfire was the sole source of the rarest most useful type of Adra, which the Aedyr were interested in. I'm not sure they colonized it for living, but I'm pretty certain I've read about there involvement in trade. They probably have setup trade ports or maybe the occasional fort right??

As far as colonies, it seems the Aedyr Empire had enough trouble just holding onto the Dyrwood.

Aedyr might be less interested in unique form of Adra found in the Deadfire given their ban on animancy.

Also the feeling I got from Pillars about Aedyr is that it's something of an Empire in decline after the loss of Readceras and the Dyrwood, so perhaps it can't afford the same presence as the Vailian Republics and Ruatai.

• Like 1

From my understanding, Aedyr's colonisation interests seemed to stem from Engwithan relic collection.  They didn't seem that interested in much of anything else, the government at least anyway, and seemed more miffed at the loss of access to the ruins than the colony itself when Aedyr revolted.  Maybe its just not that interested in general trade or colonisation perhaps? 

Aedyr also had Readceras as an agricultural colony, producing Vorlas dyes.  

Distance is certainly a factor.  Rauatai and the Vailian Republics are both closer to Deadfire than Aedyr is.  And Aedyr doesn't get mentioned as a seafaring power to the extent that those nations do.  They could presumably defend trade routes between their homeland and the Eastern Reach, but might not have the naval might to extend those to Deadfire.

And, yeah, after two major colonial rebellions, there might not be much further appetite in Aedyran government for sinking resources into colonies.  

Plus Old Vailia (and thus the Vailian Republics) likely dominated the Deadfire region along with Rauatai well before the Aedyre empire started colonizing the continent that Dyrwood and Readceras are on. Although the pirate faction, the Principi, are descended from those fleeing the collapse of Old Vailia.