It would be nice if there are new shifting forms for Druids in Deadfire, cause what I want, what I really really want is:

post-65980-0-36700400-1498498235_thumb.jpeg

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I remember sometime along the path to POE, the devs were talking about a pc Druid learning new shapeshifting forms as a quest reward.

I loved the idea, obviously it never happened though. Haven't heard anything about it in Deadfire, but it would be great.

Regarding ocean themed stuff it would be great, particularly if there was a Lovecraftian feel the shapes. They seem to be moving in that direction with some of the monsters so....

• Like 4

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

On a more practical note, would there be any drawbacks to using an aquatic/semi-aquatic spiritshift form on land? Given that at least half of the time you'd be fighting on land, the rest of the time at sea or in shallow water.

And yeah, Takehu is likely to have an unique spiritform since he's an unique type of Moon/Sea godlike.

Pull a Pokemon and just make them hover above ground. Or as previously covered, Street Sharks / Sand Sharks.

But, seals, walrus, crocodiles, and hippo would all work. Something based on the Galapagos iguana or an octopus would also work. Or just pull the mystical torrent of water that elevates them everywhere solution.

All of the Druid spiritshift forms thus far have been mammals. Perhaps then a walrus head with large fangs?

In the tropical/subtropical Deadfire archipelago?

The Deadfire archipelago extends from the southern polar region to the northern temperate region; I think we'll just be going to the tropical/subtropical part, but there's a *lot* more to Deafire then that.

I think sea lion would make more sense, though. They get up to 2,200 lbs.

• Like 1

I remember sometime along the path to POE, the devs were talking about a pc Druid learning new shapeshifting forms as a quest reward.

I loved the idea, obviously it never happened though. Haven't heard anything about it in Deadfire, but it would be great.

Regarding ocean themed stuff it would be great, particularly if there was a Lovecraftian feel the shapes. They seem to be moving in that direction with some of the monsters so....

Ah, that probably explains what Hiravias means when he refers to the Autumn Stelgaer as his 'first' form and mentions learning others.  Did wonder.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I wonder what the design decision was to just allow one spirit form? I guess they wanted to guide the player into a particular build? Unlike priests and paladins it seems to me druids should get to be more jacks of all trades. Maybe not give me all forms, but eventually getting 2 or 3 would be nice.

I'd also like special skills attached to being in a particular spirit form. I don't know if that is too blizzardy or not, but I find it makes the shifted form of a druid far more interesting. Especially if you already have a caster and healer on staff. Let me focus on having an off-tank/melee-dps frontliner, and not just by equipment or stats. I'd like to pick my skills in a way that I can craft my forms to be one thing or the other.

The various forms don't need to be wholesale superior, just play to different strengths. But being able to pick and choose for the occasion is a strength unto it's own. So unlocking more overtime seems like a fine way to handle it. Just as you pick a skill, you might pick a second and then 3rd form at say. Level 9 and then level 16.

• Like 2

I suspect (and this is just me theorising) that it could be they did not have the time to make each form as unique as they wanted this time through, as each form's differences is about a talent's worth (one a bit faster, one a bit tougher, etc), and so didn't feel it was worth it as a quest reward.  Hopefully this time they will be able to differentiate them more. 

I didn't realise it until rjshae pointed it out that all the animal forms are mammals, but now I do I kinda like that.  Gives it a rather cool motif.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I prefer the quest idea rather than a Druid learning new forms as they level up. Having said that, has anyone heard anything from the devs which suggests that it's an option this time around?

Lord of Light

One of the druid subclasses is focused on shapeshifting and I can see this going one of two ways: making their spiritshift more powerful and (hopefully) modal, or providing them with more spiritshift options. If obsidian go with the latter then I would expect more and varied forms are a given.

If definitely like to see some non-mammalian forms, and perhaps some with abilities focused on things or than combat (bird forms day). Aquatic forms find cool but they'll have to be careful how they implement then and/or combat in water.

On any case, more shapeshifting variety would be greatly appreciated by me.

• Like 2

Transformation animation would be awesome too. Maybe even possibly mechanical somewhat (possible to interrupt?).

That'd be pretty cool (if Wizard gets longer casting time, longer transformation time should fit?).

Probably a tad bit excessive perhaps, and expensive.

All of the Druid spiritshift forms thus far have been mammals. Perhaps then a walrus head with large fangs?

In the tropical/subtropical Deadfire archipelago?

Well, you recall that BP had a section on rescuing walruses in their Deepwater Horizon Gulf (of Mexico) spill.  I'd obviously trust their expertise over anyone here..  :geek:

Also, I believe "fangs" are those things sticking out of their mouths... Similar to elephant fangs..

hah, personally I'd like some desert or jungle inspired forms (since it looks like a lot of the environments may be these) - panthers, armadillos or wild boars being pretty obvious ideas.  Otherwise, non-mammal options of arthropods are always interesting - beetles, mantids, etc.  recall the Thri-kreen were D&D playable races that were not warm-blooded.

cheers

-tid242

(btw the 'fangs' comment was a joke, not meant to be offensive of course)

Edit: oh, of course, the Monty Python Holy Grail Rabbit shapeshift form is always pretty strong..

Edited by tid242

FYI, what Josh said in the 5th Q&A Stream was that : 

"Now Druids have a Sub-Classe dedicated to Shapeshifting" : Go to 36:04.

PS : I had to go through all 5 of those to find the information for you lol, all of this to find out that from 1 to 5... it was in the last one  :banghead:

• Like 2

I believe he's named : Tekahu, and no clue about him having his own Spiritshift yet.

If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure they've prepared something cool for him (Because as you said, they did it for Hiravias after all  :w00t: ).

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

Not to throw cold water on this, but didn't they already say they weren't going to add new spiritshifting forms in PoE2?

Heretic!  he must be purified by pain!!

Been there, done that, passed the kidney stones as proof.  :p

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."