Steam, Playstaion Network and other digital distribution platforms...

Katphood

i want to use PSN more, sometimes I forget how I like certain parts of PSN more than Steam and GoG.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well Steam has released an update that forces games launched with gamepad turned on into Big Picture mode. And, as it so typical for Valve, they've made a completely half-arsed job of it.

So, basically, to try out Steam's feature that allows you to rebind Xbox 360 controller buttons to anything you want, I have paired my 360 pad with my Steam account. After messing around with it for some time and figuring out it doesn't really work particularly well, I have unchecked the thing that allows Steam to intercept 360 button presses and thought that's the end of it. It wasn't. When running in Big Picture mode, each button press on my 360 pad was followed by a semi-random keyboard button - usually arrow keys. In other words, 360 pad because useless in majority of games. After a bunch of troubleshooting, I stopped using Big Picture and forgot about it.

So um... Big Picture seems to be forced now. And the bug did not get fixed. Not a new one, mind you. So now I'm going through the troubleshooting process again, but a new Steam's feature is that it apparently refuses to disable pairing between Steam and my pad - which is another known bug, incidentally. And to add salt to the injury, Steam didn't even bother to create proper desktop interface for controller configuration screens and just launches Big Picture in a window. Yaaay!

Right. As per usual, Valve just can't do a single thing they try properly. Now I'm going to write to their support - to get an utterly useless response after a month as per usual. *sigh*

Edited by Fenixp

Similarly, for years now I've had the issue where if I accidentally press the xbox symbol on my 360 controller, it launches Big Picture for no gosh danged reason: I've never used big picture mode except by accident, and I've never paired a controller or anything like that. Please stop, Steam.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm not trying to be rude senpai but it's not Steam's fault that you are making the same mistake for years!

I use big picture mode regularly... the only thing I hate while using it, is that Valve constantly changes the way you type syntax but that is to be expected anyway considering they have their own controller now.

Awhile back someone on Steam was trying to tell me about a bunch of glitches that Big Picture had, none to which I've experienced at all. Is the Big Picture mode in beta?

Idk, maybe it's because I'm also a console gamer but using big picture mode on Steam feels natural when using a controller. Although I have never really used a PS4 controller with big picture so the results may differ as the PS button may not start up the app like the XB360 controller does.

All that said, I'm just a simple minded controller user when using Big Picture on Steam and when it's activated I think of my pc as a console which is the purpose anyways... I think.

Off-note: I love the DS4 and it's touch pad functionality on PS4's OS. Every OS should just support it out of the box ;)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I like big picture mode well enough, and I love my Steam controller. The ease of setting it up for different games is still too complicated, or buggy, I cant tell which.

True. It's getting more optimized with every patch. I'm surprised that someone here has one (happily surprised!)

The Steam controller is highly underrated. I think some people just pass it without a second look because it hs the Steam name but it is indeed an evolution in the controller field.

For anyone considering it, I say go for it!

It's all about willing to try to something new and with the Steam name but whether you use Steam, Origin or GoG, the Steam controller is a worthy addition to any gamer's household. It's ugly but oh so good and great value!

No thanks. DS3 and DS4 hooked to my PC wins by a mile over anything else.

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The Steam controller gives you more options for using a gamepad with different types of games a normal gamepad wouldn't work so well with (albeit it's somewhat difficult to master), but for anything where a regular gamepad seems to already work well with, or if you don't have a need to use a gamepad to begin with (i.e. you're sitting at a desk with mouse and keyboard), you're pretty unlikely to find too much of a use for the Steam controller. Easy to recommend if you like playing games on your TV but want to expand the amount/types of games you can play, easy to not recommend if you're just sitting at your PC.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I never even knew DS3 could be used on PC lol

DualShock 4 is currently one of the biggest favorites for PC gaming, especially if you are looking for a wireless controller.

I like that controller a lot. 

I have a wired 360 controller for controller supported games and a Steam controller for RPGs and all my older games.

If I could change one thing about the Steam controller it would be to either move the 4 buttons or the hepatic pad to the left side of the controller, preferably the buttons as I use the analog sometimes. But I always use the buttons and the hepatic pad so them being on the same side is not optimal. I hardly ever use the left pad, its a bit of a waste imo.  

Yup. Pretty easy to set up. It probably does not work out of the box for 100% of PC games, but it works flawlessly for all my PC gaming needs.

Yup. Pretty easy to set up. It probably does not work out of the box for 100% of PC games, but it works flawlessly for all my PC gaming needs.

Im guessing you have to hook up the DS USB wire to your computer?

Oh that's wonderful, instead of actually storing controller ID, Steam's big picture just gets paired with player 1's pad, whichever it is. So the implementation's not only buggy and half-arsed, it also doesn't give a rat's arse about basic coding principles. Bravo, Valve! Bravo!

• Like 1

Pre-ordered Madden 18 GOAT edition on PSN and also currently downloading NBA Live 18 demo to my PS4. Going to pre-order NBA 2k18 but since I play that on PC and it's a Steam exclusive I need to figure out which shop has it the cheapest. Probably GMG.

Free games updated 3/4/21

It must be nice for 2D fighters, which I love. Thanks for the info!

Pre-ordered Madden 18 GOAT edition on PSN and also currently downloading NBA Live 18 demo to my PS4. Going to pre-order NBA 2k18 but since I play that on PC and it's a Steam exclusive I need to figure out which shop has it the cheapest. Probably GMG.

Let me know how the new story mode turns out.

Edited by Hurlshot

It must be nice for 2D fighters, which I love. Thanks for the info!
Yeah, and for my older console games run through emulators, when I am too lazy to pick them up from my "treasure box" :D You need some 3rd party drivers for that though. Still easy to set up.

https://sites.google.com/site/gamerinamask/Dualshock3-on-PC

Im guessing you have to hook up the DS USB wire to your computer?
It works with cable and bluetooth dongle. From my experience, it is easier to hook it by cable, especially if you have PS3 in the same room as your PC :D Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 1

The Xbox 360 nad Xbox One controllers have been my go-tos for some time. The pressure senstive locks come in handy for games like Stardew. Programmable rumble on XB1 controller for other games.

• 1 year later...

A question I might be able to squeeze into this thread:

-Dear PC gamers, you dudes are pretty much limited to digital distribution nowadays(GOG, Steam, Origin...). Does that worry you that you might lose access to your games someday? Because recent events have proven that games can disappear from stores which forces users to resort to piracy.

I mainly ask this because my current platform of choice is the PS4 and I was flirting with the idea of building myself a new PC for the sake of mods...and Star Citzen. :p

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

-Dear PC gamers, you dudes are pretty much limited to digital distribution nowadays(GOG, Steam, Origin...). Does that worry you that you might lose access to your games someday? Because recent events have proven that games can disappear from stores which forces users to resort to piracy.

I mean, all games you buy on GOG are DRM-free, you just put your installers on an external hard-drive or burn them and you get to keep them forever.
  • Like 1

GOG allows you to archive the installers - that's as good as having them on discs. Whether or not they'll run on future platforms is something entirely else of course. :p

If you want to build a decent gaming PC don't forget three components that are all too often ignored, to the detriment of the player. Pick a good keyboard, a mouse you can use without your hands falling off and a good, comfortable chair.

It's one of these hilarious arguments from console peasants that they can sit on a comfortable couch while playing. Well, duh, people pay a couple grand for a good couch to sit on and then put a $50 IKEA chair in front of their computer and wonder why it's less comfortable. Same goes for Sonic's incessant "gamepads and touch controls are more comfortable than keyboards!" trolling posts here.

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yes I worry about that. I might be in the minority, but the only digital platform, which I am using for gaming is GOG. I can backup everything, I purchased, no worries about losing my account, company getting bankrupt etc. It is simple. If you do not allow me to back up my data, there is no need to do business with you. I have done a mistake of purchasing something long time ago, from the Bioware store, and I lost all access to it, after they got EAten. Not gonna happen again.