The idea with this build is to create a dwarven shield wall who can survive even at hardest encounters with ease and uses "Take the Hit" to reduce the damage taken by other party members. 

The character is as follows;

Race: Mountain Dwarf

Class: Fighter

Starting stats: 

Str 18 (15 +2 Racial +1 The Living Lands)

Con 18 (17 +1 Racial)

Dex 3 (4 -1 Racial)

Per 3 

Int 18

Res 18

Skills: Background Colonist

Stealth 0 

Athletics 1 (Fighter)

Lore 1 (Fighter)

Mechanics 0

Survival 3 (1 Fighter 2 Colonist)

Final Skills:

Survival 14 (Is to enable Healing III)

The rest I honestly did not care, maybe some athletics for extra healing or lore if you need some kind of scrolls to be used

Abilities:

Armored Grace

Confident Aim

Constant Recovery

Critical Defense (The aim is to achieve a high amount of hit to graze conversion - Durgan Reinforced Old Gerun's Wall + this achieve 35% hit to graze conversion - Crit to hit conversion is an useless attribute to my sense as this kind of solid tank hardly takes crits)

Disciplined Barrage

Hale and Hardy (Racial)

Take the Hit

Overbearing Guard

Triggered Immunity

Vigorous Defense

Talents:

Rapid Recovery

Weapon and Shield Style

Bear's Fortitude

Snake's Reflexes

Bull's Will

Superior Deflection

Body Control

Cautious Attack (Maybe swap this or Snake's Reflexes with +accuracy to enable better Overbearing triggers)

Items:

Helm : Executioner's Hood (Fits perfectly as it debuffs opponents and gives almost constant +5 Accuracy)

Chest : He Carries Many Scars (+2 Cons, Durgan Reinforced)

Ring 1 & 2 : Ring of Protection & Gwyn's Band of Union

Feet : Boots of Stability

Cloak & Neck : Cloak of the Tireless Defender

Hands: Siegebreaker Gauntlets

Belt : Belt of Bountiful Healing

Weapons : Whispers of Yenwood and Old Gerun's Wall

See you guys for now. Have fun playing RPGs.

If this is party based they enemy will ignore/bypass to your squishies.

If this is a solo build how will you deal with high DR opponents? Disc Barrage and Confident Aim are not going to add a lot to your offensive abilities. Have you tested this at all?

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Just a tip: Take the Hit is heavily bugged. Never use mind control abilities/spells when you have a fighter with Take the Hit in the party. The flipped enemies will transfer a lot of damage to the fighter and this will not stop when mind control ends.

Apart from that problem this build looks a bit like my old engineer build (at least the healing part and also parts of the equipment):
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83612-class-build-the-engineer-shocking-dps-fighter-artillery-tank/

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If this is a solo build how will you deal with high DR opponents? Disc Barrage and Confident Aim are not going to add a lot to your offensive abilities. Have you tested this at all?

This is obviously not a solo build as the idea is to help others survive. If your concern on party base is the aggro this guy can hold, although have not tried this extensively yet, I can say this guy can punish easily who passes by him (overbearing guard). Just throw some Will reduction area effects on enemies and let him punish them with Executioner's Hood as well. And with a paladin aura this guy can reach 55% graze to hit conversion. 

Just a tip: Take the Hit is heavily bugged. Never use mind control abilities/spells when you have a fighter with Take the Hit in the party. The flipped enemies will transfer a lot of damage to the fighter and this will not stop when mind control ends.

Apart from that problem this build looks a bit like my old engineer build (at least the healing part and also parts of the equipment):

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83612-class-build-the-engineer-shocking-dps-fighter-artillery-tank/

Thanks for the tip Boeroer, your feedback is appreaciated as always.

I have not checked that build throughly beforehand, although the intention does not seem similar, the resulting survivability seems similar but i think its the way it is ought to be in a fighter tank. Next time before posting a build, seems like it would be better for me to check all existing builds in the post throughly (names of the builds may sometimes be misleading) in order to not waste time and copy/paste some stuff.

This is obviously not a solo build as the idea is to help others survive. If your concern on party base is the aggro this guy can hold, although have not tried this extensively yet, I can say this guy can punish easily who passes by him (overbearing guard). Just throw some Will reduction area effects on enemies and let him punish them with Executioner's Hood as well. And with a paladin aura this guy can reach 55% graze to hit conversion. 

Enemies will definitely ignore this guy unfortunately. Overbearing Guard is OK at locking some enemies in but a lot will just eat the prone then move on to another target. 

Enemies will definitely ignore this guy unfortunately. Overbearing Guard is OK at locking some enemies in but a lot will just eat the prone then move on to another target. 

Then Take the Hit comes in handy.

I have not checked that build throughly beforehand, although the intention does not seem similar, the resulting survivability seems similar but i think its the way it is ought to be in a fighter tank. Next time before posting a build, seems like it would be better for me to check all existing builds in the post throughly (names of the builds may sometimes be misleading) in order to not waste time and copy/paste some stuff.

Eh, sorry. Now that I read it again I see that my post was ambiguous. I didn't mean it in that way. I meant: since it has some features of my old build - and those worked pretty well back then - I assume that this one is viable, too. :)

Sorry again if it came out the wrong way.

Anyway there's no rule that you can't post builds which look a bit similar to others. :)

If this build gets rushed by or not is not so important as long as he absorbs half of all party damage via Take the Hit. Combining self heal with Take the Hit on a char who doesn't get damaged much by enemies is pretty smart. With potions of Infuse of Vital Essence this guy can absorb tons of damage for his crew without resting. I did the same with a second row pike fighter and it works really well. But once you use any form of mind control (I had a cipher and a wizard) it turns against you so hard that I didn't finish that build.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Eh, sorry. Now that I read it again I see that my post was ambiguous. I didn't mean it in that way. I meant: since it has some features of my old build - and those worked pretty well back then - I assume that this one is viable, too. :)

Sorry again if it came out the wrong way.

Anyway there's no rule that you can't post builds which look a bit similar to others. :)

If this build gets rushed by or not is not so important as long as he absorbs half of all party damage via Take the Hit. Combining self heal with Take the Hit on a char who doesn't get damaged much by enemies is pretty smart. With potions of Infuse of Vital Essence this guy can absorb tons of damage for his crew without resting. I did the same with a second row pike fighter and it works really well. But once you use any form of mind control (I had a cipher and a wizard) it turns against you so hard that I didn't finish that build.

And your second row pike fighter using "The Wind's Arm" and through "Take the Hit" triggering "Arthek's Cord" ?. 

Nope, I prefer wizards (Blast) or barbs (carnage) for interrupt builds since those work in an AoE - which is much more effective. The wizard will cast Expose Vulnerabilites and I will also use a chanter with the -10 concentration chant and the Wind's Arm. The wizard may also cast Miasma.

The barb would use dual hammers (Shatterstar + Godanyhunyr). All in all total overkill. ;)

A druid with his pulsing CC spells like Wicked Briars for example can also be an annoying interrupter.

My second row pike fighter was using a pike obviously (Tall Grass). With a reach weapon you don't get attacked that much in the second row but can still do nice CC like Knockdowns (4 per encounter with Bonus Knockdown and Girdle of the Driving Wave) and with the overbearing enchantment on Tall Grass. Also added lots of INT in order to make the AoE of Take the Hit really big and also to let Knockdowns and Disciplined Barrage last very long. And of course Constant Recovery is better with high INT. Also great for Clear Out which is bad with 10 INT (or lower) but really nice with ~20 INT. :)

Because he didn't get hit a lot he could dump RES to 3 and wear light armor (Take he Hit does raw damag anyways) What I didn't test is if Triggered Immunity workd with Take the Hit's raw damage - meaning if you catch a 10-dmg-raw hit if if canceles further damage from Take the Hit.   

Edited by Boeroer

Nope, I prefer wizards (Blast) or barbs (carnage) for interrupt builds since those work in an AoE - which is much more effective. The wizard will cast Expose Vulnerabilites and I will also use a chanter with the -10 concentration chant and the Wind's Arm. The wizard may also cast Miasma.

The barb would use dual hammers (Shatterstar + Godanyhunyr). All in all total overkill. ;)

A druid with his pulsing CC spells like Wicked Briars for example can also be an annoying interrupter.

My second row pike fighter was using a pike obviously (Tall Grass). With a reach weapon you don't get attacked that much in the second row but can still do nice CC like Knockdowns (4 per encounter with Bonus Knockdown and Girdle of the Driving Wave) and with the overbearing enchantment on Tall Grass. Also added lots of INT in order to make the AoE of Take the Hit really big and also to let Knockdowns and Disciplined Barrage last very long. And of course Constant Recovery is better with high INT. Also great for Clear Out which is bad with 10 INT (or lower) but really nice with ~20 INT. :)

Because he didn't get hit a lot he could dump RES to 3 and wear light armor (Take he Hit does raw damag anyways) What I didn't test is if Triggered Immunity workd with Take the Hit's raw damage - meaning if you catch a 10-dmg-raw hit if if canceles further damage from Take the Hit.   

I tested it today, and yeah Triggered Immunity works with Take the Hit's raw damage. However when the warrior becomes immune to raw damage, take the hit starts transferring damage from party members to warrior in the original source instead of raw. I mean instead of transferring 12 shock damage to warrior as 12 raw damage, it starts transferring it as shock damage. And as far as I have seen, DRs not working on the transferred damage, so immunity to raw damage is even a negative thing. If the tank becomes immune to any other damage type, he/she would still be immune to attacks from other sources but by becoming immune to raw he becomes immune to only rarely seen raw damage which not functioning properly with "Take the Hit". One more annoying thing is, after the Triggered Immunity vanishes on the tank, the transferred damage still stays in the original source instead of raw "if my game has not been bugged". So this whole thing is a mess :D

Edited by lozturk