So do you keep a selection of weapons on hand to match the opponent, maybe even getting the weapon slot bonus to make changing out easier than memorizing opponents or restarting a fight with the right weapon?

Or do you accept that some opponents won't be hurt as much but you still do enough damage for other reasons that it isn't as much a concern?

Two reasons I ask. One I'm just curious if everyone is as lazy as me. I keep a melee and a range weapons in each slot, but I don't usually swap out, say blunt for piercing or slashing, or cold vs fire.

Two, I am playing "almost solo" (still dating someone, getting some strategy practice in before I go full solo, also really hate not having a rogue, specializing in mechanics, in my party) and have noticed that even when a weapon comes up as "Ineffective" (I have the game set to pause on that) I still do damage (which makes the pause kind of annoying. I am still doing damage, just maybe not piercing, for instance.)

It really is kind of amazing how many things I never really cared about when I had a big party to handle just about anything.

Joe

Lazy here.  I keep two weapon slots for each character, but switching doesn't occur too often.  The main cause is when I need to switch between melee/ranged.  For example, when the Devil gets low on health (since she can't be healed), I'll pull her back from melee to a ranged position.  If an enemy breaks through the front line and is pummeling my Priest he will switch from a scepter to a staff.  That kind of stuff.

Another reason is enemy immunities.  No point in having Zahua go punch Crush-immune enemies like Ice Blights.  Time to switch.

The final reason for switching are those instances where I have a good racial or narrowly applicable bonus.  Eder will use St. Ydwen's Redeemer on Vessels, otherwise I keep him with his sword/shield combo.

Soloing with my monk: 2 x Scimitars (slash) and 2 x bare hand as off-hand (crush).  Scimitars are mostly best, I switch only to hands for skeletons or earth-blights (or whatever seems to have high slash resistance).

For example, when the Devil gets low on health (since she can't be healed), I'll pull her back from melee to a ranged position.

That is not right. The Devil of Caroc can be healed like anyone else - she only can't use food, drugs or potions. For example: give her Veteran's Recovery or use Lay on Hands on her and you'll see that she heals like any other character. I'm talking about healing endurance here of course. But even health can be regained via Wound Binding or Field Triage. Not with a potion of Infuse with Vital Essence though. ;)

If an enemy breaks through the front line and is pummeling my Priest he will switch from a scepter to a staff.

Why that? This will not make him any more defensive or sturdier. He will not even be able to kil the enemy faster because the switching will cause a very long recovery. Better to switch to a hatchet + shield setup since those deflection bonuses will be applied instantly after switching.

Edit: corrected the wrong statement about Field Triage.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Solo is a different story of course. Since I'm lazy I don't want to reload all the time and thus always pick the appropriate weapon and also use all kinds of consumables and summons. ;)

Or do you accept that some opponents won't be hurt as much but you still do enough damage for other reasons that it isn't as much a concern?

Two reasons I ask. One I'm just curious if everyone is as lazy as me. I keep a melee and a range weapons in each slot, but I don't usually swap out, say blunt for piercing or slashing, or cold vs fire.

I am lazy. That is, during combat.

But can spend hours before a new playthrough, planning, in order to cover all possible encounters.

P.S. In my first run I had a situation where 5 party members were wielding only piercing weapons. It was kinda fun watching Eder tickle remaining Rain Blights with a sword.

• Like 1

For example, when the Devil gets low on health (since she can't be healed), I'll pull her back from melee to a ranged position.

That is not right. The Devil of Caroc can be healed like anyone else - she only can't use food, drugs or potions. For example: give her Veteran's Recovery or use Lay on Hands on her and you'll see that she heals like any other character. I'm talking about healing endurance here of course. But even health can be regained via Woubd Binding or Field Trage. Not with a potion of Infuse with Vital Essence though. ;)

I'm talking about health, not endurance.  Field Triage doesn't work on the Devil.

That is not right. The Devil of Caroc can be healed like anyone else - she only can't use food, drugs or potions. For example: give her Veteran's Recovery or use Lay on Hands on her and you'll see that she heals like any other character. I'm talking about healing endurance here of course. But even health can be regained via Woubd Binding or Field Trage. Not with a potion of Infuse with Vital Essence though. ;)

I'm talking about health, not endurance.  Field Triage doesn't work on the Devil.

That's right. Wound Binding works, but Field Triage doesn't. I recently used Wound Binding on DoC and just assumed that Field Triage would work as well, but that has the restriction "(not Vessel)" which I simply forgot, sorry.

That's right. Wound Binding works, but Field Triage doesn't. I recently used Wound Binding on DoC and just assumed that Field Triage would work as well, but that has the restriction "(not Vessel)" which I simply forgot, sorry.

Ah, and I assumed the reverse. That since Field Triage didn't work she couldn't have her health restored at all without resting.  I wonder why they put a non-Vessel requirement on Field Triage.

I think because it's weird to use badages on a metal golem. :) Same resaon why she can't use food. Although some food would work if I were the designer - like oil (+2 DEX). ;)

Maybe they just forgot Wound Binding, who knows.

Since I never take both talents (only sometimes for testing purposes) it's not a thing for me. 

Edited by Boeroer