Pillars of Eternity is Coming to PS4 and Xbox One August 29th!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Imagine, you starting the game for the first time on PS4 after the release countdown and it begins with the muppets theme. Well, with lyric that fits  to PoE. :lol: *goes into cover*

• Like 1

I agree with Keiran, I would love controller support on the pc version. I know it's not the plan now but I would love you did it in the future. Can't you just change the user interface to that of the console when a controller is detected. I know some games do that. 

• Like 3

The time ist running^^ I am excited about to start the game on PS4. 

It's odd that the evening school is starting  day after tomorrow. :s

Do you saying this way on english? xD

Edited by Dukemon

This may seem petty, but I have decided I won't get Pillars of Eternity II now because of this.

Sorry Obsidian, but 9 times out of 10 when a complex RPG that should stay on PC ends up going to console too, it ends up resulting in the whole product being watered down and oversimplified in the sequels for the sake of platform parity and it isn't long before the console version is dictating the direction of the game.

If you can prove me wrong I may pick up the sequel later on, but as it stands I will not get invested in another RPG series just to see is sacrificed on the altar of pandering to the consoles. Burned too many times before.

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure waaaaay back when I was backing this originally that it was stated it wasn't going to come to consoles for this very reason? Though it's been a while so I may be mixing it up with something else I backed.

Edited by Terror K

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

This may seem petty, but I have decided I won't get Pillars of Eternity II now because of this.

Sorry Obsidian, but 9 times out of 10 when a complex RPG that should stay on PC ends up going to console too, it ends up resulting in the whole product being watered down and oversimplified in the sequels for the sake of platform parity and it isn't long before the console version is dictating the direction of the game.

If you can prove me wrong I may pick up the sequel later on, but as it stands I will not get invested in another RPG series just to see is sacrificed on the altar of pandering to the consoles. Burned too many times before.

I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure waaaaay back when I was backing this originally that it was stated it wasn't going to come to consoles for this very reason? Though it's been a while so I may be mixing it up with something else I backed.

Every title in the last 10 years that was already a high caliber game, that was ported to consoles got streamlined and greater longevity in its support. If the game was borderline crappy and they port it, yeah that makes sense they're just trying to make a buck before they abandon it, but games from good companies with good support only make their games better on console. Most PC players were begging for Diablo 3's console-first loot 2.0 system and slick menus... that's just one example. Not sure what you've been burned by, but you're personal experience doesn't dictate the norm for the market. There are plenty of games that just plain get better when they're ported to console.

A bit of a strange stance to take, but it is of course your choice.

The game was designed 100% with PC in mind (both of them) Obsidian outsourced the console conversions, so there is no way any "dumbing down" going on to appease console gamers.
I bought the game on Steam, but am looking forward to getting stuck into it on Xbox as well.

Eder has made a strange comment about the face expression from my death godlike, when he is talking with the female dwarf on the tree from Goldthal. I thought only other godlikes can see the face of the death godlike, but Eder is speaking about the open mouth and not blinking about my godlike.

It's not petty, it's borderline retarded.

Obsidian has outsourced the console port to a different company. Sawyer has stated multiple times that he doesn't have anything do with the ported version, nor does he take it into consideration when designing PoE2. The game is made for PC/Mac/Linux that's it. It's up to Paradox to figure it out, if they even are going to port 2nd game as well.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

It's not petty, it's borderline retarded.

Obsidian has outsourced the console port to a different company. Sawyer has stated multiple times that he doesn't have anything do with the ported version, nor does he take it into consideration when designing PoE2. The game is made for PC/Mac/Linux that's it. It's up to Paradox to figure it out, if they even are going to port 2nd game as well.

I agree this is pretty dumb reason up there with the some saying they wont by the game if it doesn't have a walk toggle (which i get is not everyone who wants a walk toggle). Sawyer even says in a recent interview that he didnt like all the choices that were made by the team doing the port which isnt obsidian because they cut some stuff from the UI. 

Edited by draego

Here is a follow up from Josh's post on somethingawful forums for the crazies who think console have doomed Pillars.

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

this was posted in a Pillars 2 forums already
Edited by draego
  • Like 2

Here is a follow up from Josh's post on somethingawful forums for the crazies who think console have doomed Pillars.

It's extremely rare that anyone brings up non-PC interface questions like, "How would this work on a tablet?" or "How would this work on a console?" and my answer is always, "I don't know or care."

If we develop a game that's intended to be cross-platform, I have no problem entertaining those questions, but Pillars and Deadfire are both being developed for Windows/Mac/Linux, and that's it. I am not willing to compromise any aspect of the game's design for the possibility that maybe someday someone will want to put it on another platform.

this was posted in a Pillars 2 forums already
I like that stance. I'd prefer it to be perfect for PC, everyone happy and then look at possible ports. If it's doable, excellent. If not, then I'll settle for watching videos about the game :( rather than a shoddy port.

Heck, got BG1, BG2, IWD and PS:T on my tablet and think that works well. Still prefer a mouse and key for them though.

Further Edit -The next day:

Got home and the mrs is home early watching tv... Not PoE for me tonight... Will time the load another time unless someone else wants to do that?

I need a gaming room.

Edited by itsLDN
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The game is nice, I like it a lot, it was the game I waited since Dragon Age Origin, (an RPG old school as it is said) but it still need work to fix those too frequent crashes during load screen...

Please fix this, on PS4 the loading time are very long, and they crashes too much (1/5 loading screen = crash of the game) ...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

• 5 months later...

Here we are 6 months later talking about PoE2:  Deadfire, when it will be released on consoles is not yet known.  However you can pre-order it for consoles so, hopefully holiday season 2018.  Another one I'm hoping makes the consoles soon is DOS2, another Kickstarter about 2 years ahead of Pillars; however the release of the console version of DOS2 is lagging and is not available for pre-order.  You can get it on GOG

I'm thinking this is all because it is overly ambitious on both parties too think they can fit their overly ambitious sequels onto the same console.  YES personal computers (pc) grow in maturity (consoles don't), and YES they develop these games on the best possible hardware which can change from day-to-day... yet most customers have not upgraded to their extent so the game just literally sucks on minimum requirement machines.  My favourite example is Morrowind when it came out for the pc, I loved it later when I re-installed it on the same machines it was developed on, they don't tell you that, but as the end user I have live with it.

Edited by Mangamina