Update #35 - The E3 2017 Wrap-Up

Hello, everyone! As promised in our last update, we're back from E3 and have some things to share. You may remember we hinted at an epic video, and we brought just that along! Deadfire Game Director, Josh Sawyer and Executive Producer, Adam Brennecke, had a chance to join the IGN crew on their stage at the E3 conference hall and show off extended Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire gameplay for the first time ever!

We'll be diving into the details of that video in next week's update, so be sure to come back and join Adam as he discusses what he and Josh showed in the video above, along with additional information for you.

Speaking of Adam, he also got a chance to sit down with Jason Schreier over at Kotaku to record a segment for their E3 podcast. The interview with Adam starts at 35:26 if you want to skip ahead to it.

As for Josh, he sat down with Rich Scott-Jones of PCGamesN and talked more about Deadfire with him in a video interview:

But wait, there's more! Josh and Adam also did interviews with both GameSpot and Bleeding Cool, so be sure to check those out. Not only that, we showed Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire behind closed doors at E3 to various publications across the internet. For those of you that want to do some deeper reading, all of the other articles are posted below:

A very good showing for Deadfire this year!

Oh, Just One More Thing

We are very excited to announce that Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One thanks to our friends over at Paradox Arctic!

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition will be available on PS4 and Xbox One on August 29th, 2017!

That's all for this update. Thanks for hanging out with us. Once again, join us next week when Adam dives into the video we shared with IGN and gives you some early information on the Captain's Dilemmas, the open world map, and more!

• Like 9

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

For the Epic Video "After E3", I was expecting something completely different from what we've all already seen...

I mean a real Update 35, with things that wasn't already out there for a week now, fresh news.

But eh... see you next week then.  ;(

For the Epic Video "After E3", I was expecting something completely different from what we've all already seen...

I mean a real Update 35, with things that wasn't already out there for a week now, fresh news.

Next week Adam will be talking over the IGN video and describing what is going on there in depth. While it is the same video, we'll be explaining things in a way that we didn't get to do during E3 and we hope you all dig that.

As for new things - we're working on those now. July is looking fun, everyone. :)

• Like 1

On Twitter @MikeyDowling

I'd also really like to hear clarification on the level scaling options. I was surprised to hear Josh imply that if you chose level scaling, you wouldn't have the experience of encountering content too difficult for you, that you'd have to come back to later.

I want enemy levels to scale UP to my level, not down. I only want the level scaling to avoid outleveling content, not to make high-level content doable on lower levels. I hope that will be an option.

• Like 1

Next week Adam will be talking over the IGN video and describing what is going on there in depth. While it is the same video, we'll be explaining things in a way that we didn't get to do during E3 and we hope you all dig that.

Hope Andy also brings last 4 mins of the video, he said 15 mins :(

• Like 1

Was there a super fast area transition in 0:46 ?

Were there super fast area transitions everywhere?

In the vids? I don't think those were live gameplays.

There are like 3 instant transitions(upper deck, chieftain's house & one inside the ruins) seem legit but can't know for sure. Don't think it'll instantly transition from ship to settlement tho, like in the video.

I also don't think those transistions were unedited, but Josh and Adam mentioned several times (in the twitch streams they did during the campaign) that they now have a streaming system that handles area transitions. What this basically means (I guess) is that the parts of the new map (all the game objects that will be visible where you enter the map) will be loaded first and thus can be displayed immediately - while the rest gets loaded while you move/explore. Maybe they even preload stuff while you move to a navigation point, don't know.

It's comparable to a streaming video (which you can start watching seconds after you get to the page) or a video file that you have to download completely in order to watch it.

So transition times should be a lot shorter than in PoE1.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Was there a super fast area transition in 0:46 ?

Were there super fast area transitions everywhere?

In the vids? I don't think those were live gameplays.

There are like 3 instant transitions(upper deck, chieftain's house & one inside the ruins) seem legit but can't know for sure. Don't think it'll instantly transition from ship to settlement tho, like in the video.

I also don't think those transistions were unedited, but Josh and Adam mentioned several times (in the twitch streams they did during the campaign) that they now have a streaming system that handles area transitions. What this basically means (I guess) is that the parts of the new map (all the game objects that will be visible where you enter the map) will be loaded first and thus can be displayed immediately - while the rest gets loaded while you move/explore. Maybe they even preload stuff while you move to a navigation point, don't know.

It's comparable to a streaming video (which you can start watching seconds after you get to the page) or a video file that you have to download completely in order to watch it.

So transition times should be a lot shorter than in PoE1.

Yeah, I recall them saying before they had been working on improving in particular the transitions between inside and outside of houses and the suchlike.  Those three transitions Quillion mentions are all transitions within an area, so fits with that.  Looks to me like they may have sorted that at least, while the greater transitions are probably edits.  Just my theorycrafting (and hope), so no doubt will be proven wrong shortly. ;)

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams