PoE coming to Xbox and PS4 on August 29th! (Best News Ever?)

Paradox Interactive Bringing Pillars of Eternity and Cities: Skylines to PS4 and Xbox One

Best-Selling, Award-Winning Games Launching on Consoles This August

STOCKHOLM — June 21, 2017 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of best-selling games across many genres and platforms, today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the critically acclaimed role-playing game (RPG) from Obsidian Entertainment, and Cities: Skylines, the smash-hit city-building game from Colossal Order, will both be released for new console platforms later this year. Both award-winning titles have been redesigned for console players with controller-friendly gameplay and UI, and will be available in August for their respective platforms.

Pillars of Eternity, originally the result of a crowdfunding campaign by over 75,000 backers, first released for PC platforms to broad critical acclaim, winning several awards for its rich story and deep, original world. Now, the original game, alongside the expansions The White March – Parts I & II, will be released as Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition for the PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles on August 29, 2017.

Rediscover the world of Eora in the debut trailer for Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition:

Edited by Liser

While i'm happy Obsidian make more money.. i hope future franchises in terms of gameplay will not suffer on over-simplification aka dumbed down. It's unfortunate.. that 1 lesser character for PoE2 is a sign of that.

Why would consoles require one less character? I don't think the two have anything to do with each other honestly.

I'm actually glad they're doing this. It means more people will get to play these games and maybe might make them more popular. If they can get PoE on consoles I doubt they will need to 'dumb down' PoE 2 for consoles.

Edited by Celeras

I hope this release keeps those knockdown/paralyze/stun afflictions bugs,
And many more, like potions using and domination/charm premature endings.
I just want to see, how will react their console butts,
When game is too hard but 45$ was already spended.

:w00t:

Edited by Phenomenum

Seems to me it's Paradox that wanted both of those games on consoles. Obsidian won't turn down such offer if it makes sense to them financially and if it's doable in a fashion that they are happy with. 

What interests me is, how much did Obsidian have to do with this or did Obsidian/Paradox outsource the porting to a 3rd party?

Hate the living, love the dead.

What interests me is, how much did Obsidian have to do with this or did Obsidian/Paradox outsource the porting to a 3rd party?

Yeah. Paradox Arctic made it apparently.

Well the better news is this made the news all over the interwebz in couple of hours than Deadfire could ever in a week long E3. Good publicity for the IP :)

What the **** is this ****, Obsidian?

If you start making useless console ports I'll stop giving you my money in your next crowdfunding campaigns. You saw how well the console **** has turned out for inXile, with their T:ToN selling nothing on consoles and failing hard on PC as well because their supporters were disappointed by their idiotic decisions, don't go on their same road or be prepared to lose your fans and their money.

Edit: also, I think it's high time that you part ways with those hacks at Paradox. First, they decide to split White March in two parts, which resulted in a dlc that sold less than what was expected and would have probably performed better if it was release as one, big expansion, then they publish Tyranny in the worst way possible, making a terrible marketing campaign for it and the game performed poorly, in the last month they announced some terribly overpriced DLCs for Tyranny (a ****ing portrait pack at 4 €, I mean WTF?) and now they push for this useless console port that will be a gigantic fail since no one on consoles wants to play these kind of games. Find a new partner, or start self-publishing your games before you're dragged down by their ineptitude.

Edited by Revan91
  • Like 2

I hope they allow you to control the amount of experience required to level or this is a total no-play on consoles. Hitting the maximum level dozens of hours prior the the end of the game is ridiculous. 

Lol, the game is not even out and console users are already asking to dumb the game down.

GG Obsidian, this will turn out nicely. Can't wait for multi-platform, 4 team member sized, with cooldowns, and hugely dumbed down in everything PoE3. 

Edited by Revan91

If you start making useless console ports I'll stop giving you my money in your next crowdfunding campaigns. You saw how well the console **** has turned out for inXile, with their T:ToN selling nothing on consoles and failing hard on PC as well because their supporters were disappointed by their idiotic decisions, don't go on their same road or be prepared to lose your fans and their money.

Edit: also, I think it's high time that you part ways with those hacks at Paradox. First, they decide to split White March in two parts, which resulted in a dlc that sold less than what was expected and would have probably performed better if it was release as one, big expansion, then they publish Tyranny in the worst way possible, making a terrible marketing campaign for it and the game performed poorly, in the last month they announced some terribly overpriced DLCs for Tyranny (a ****ing portrait pack at 4 €, I mean WTF?) and now they push for this useless console port that will be a gigantic fail since no one on consoles wants to play these kind of games. Find a new partner, or start self-publishing your games before you're dragged down by their ineptitude.

That's the thing, they didn't do the port themselves. Instead Paradox did it and Obsidian gets some money out of the deal that they can use on their other projects.

T:ToN port was made by InXile while they were making the game for PC, Mac etc. , this is a completely different case as Obsidian didn't have much or anything to do with the development. Sure they've probably went through some design choices and okayed a bunch of ideas, but actual work that takes longer times of periods. Uh, I doubt it.

So, no. I don't see this is going the same road as InXile. I think they said it early on, that they would not work on any console port themselves but were open to an idea of someone doing it for them, if a good opportunity comes up.

Can't remember if this was even asked during the original Kickstarter campaign as well. But the idea has been there for years as far as I remember.

Are you sure it was Paradox's plan to cut the expansion in two? From what I've read the decision was made because it would have otherwise taken them too long to get an expansion out and this was from Obsidian. 

Don't like the portrait pack? Don't buy it, pretty simple. Obviously there is a market for such packs or Paradox wouldn't have those out for pretty much every single game they've created. 

I guess Paradox's marketing studies disagree with your assesment on the market for rpg's on consoles. Otherwise they would not dish out money to port the game to consoles. While they might not make millions, I'm pretty sure they've got better info on the actual market for such games than some random guy on forums. 

One does not just simply go for self publishing. It takes time and guess what partners don't really grow on trees either. 

• Like 2

I hope they allow you to control the amount of experience required to level or this is a total no-play on consoles. Hitting the maximum level dozens of hours prior the the end of the game is ridiculous. 

Lol, the game is not even out and console users are already asking to dumb the game down.

GG Obsidian, this will turn out nicely. Can't wait for multi-platform, 4 team member sized, with cooldowns, and hugely dumbed down in everything PoE3. 

How is fixing the leveling up dumbing the game down? Level capping 20-30 hours prior to the end of the game isn't really optimal whether the game is on PC or consoles. 

• Like 1

Yeah. Paradox Arctic made it apparently.

Well the better news is this made the news all over the interwebz in couple of hours than Deadfire could ever in a week long E3. Good publicity for the IP :)

It is good news, as long as the console version is well made. It builds up the brand recognition and gives their sequel some free promotion as well. It could give them a nice boost financially as well, depending what sorta deal they made with Paradox. 

• Like 1

That's the thing, they didn't do the port themselves. Instead Paradox did it and Obsidian gets some money out of the deal that they can use on their other projects.

T:ToN port was made by InXile while they were making the game for PC, Mac etc. , this is a completely different case as Obsidian didn't have much or anything to do with the development. Sure they've probably went through some design choices and okayed a bunch of ideas, but actual work that takes longer times of periods. Uh, I doubt it.

So, no. I don't see this is going the same road as InXile. I think they said it early on, that they would not work on any console port themselves but were open to an idea of someone doing it for them, if a good opportunity comes up.

Can't remember if this was even asked during the original Kickstarter campaign as well. But the idea has been there for years as far as I remember.

Are you sure it was Paradox's plan to cut the expansion in two? From what I've read the decision was made because it would have otherwise taken them too long to get an expansion out and this was from Obsidian. 

Don't like the portrait pack? Don't buy it, pretty simple. Obviously there is a market for such packs or Paradox wouldn't have those out for pretty much every single game they've created. 

I guess Paradox's marketing studies disagree with your assesment on the market for rpg's on consoles. Otherwise they would not dish out money to port the game to consoles. While they might not make millions, I'm pretty sure they've got better info on the actual market for such games than some random guy on forums. 

One does not just simply go for self publishing. It takes time and guess what partners don't really grow on trees either. 

1) Paradox may have asked for this porting, but Obsidian had the final word since they own the IP and they accepted to let them do this abomination for peasants. It will probably fail, but if it won't be ready for PoE3: Inquisition, which will be made with consoles in mind.

2) inXile is worse, yeah, but that doesn't mean I want to see Obsidian giving the finger to their backers and supporters like this and trying to chase the mythical console audience (spoiler: they won't since they don't care about these games, see how WL2, T:ToN and D:OS sold on consoles vs how much they sold on PC)

3) I remember someone from Obsidian, probably Feargus, saying that they were going to listen to Paradox's business ideas and use their expertise in how to expand the game. Cut to a few months and you got a two-parts dlc that failed commercially, despite being very good, even better than the base game gameplay-wise.

4) Of course I won't buy that ****, that doesn't mean it's okay to sell some ****ing portraits for 4 euros, it's exploiting your loyal consumers and fans and milk money out of them, which is not something I want to see in games that I care of (which Obsidian's games usually are)

5) I'm not suggesting them to start self-publishing right now, even if it did work for Larian, just that they cut their ties with Paradox, that has done nothing but harm to both PoE and Tyranny.

Are you handicapped or something? In addition, I clearly backed the original game on Kickstarter (i.e. I play on the PC) since the icons are front and center under my user name.

Edited by mychal26

1) Paradox may have asked for this porting, but Obsidian had the final word since they own the IP and they accepted to let them do this abomination for peasants. It will probably fail, but if it won't be ready for PoE3: Inquisition, which will be made with consoles in mind.

2) inXile is worse, yeah, but that doesn't mean I want to see Obsidian giving the finger to their backers and supporters like this and trying to chase the mythical console audience (spoiler: they won't since they don't care about these games, see how WL2, T:ToN and D:OS sold on consoles vs how much they sold on PC)

3) I remember someone from Obsidian, probably Feargus, saying that they were going to listen to Paradox's business ideas and use their expertise in how to expand the game. Cut to a few months and you got a two-parts dlc that failed commercially, despite being very good, even better than the base game gameplay-wise.

4) Of course I won't buy that ****, that doesn't mean it's okay to sell some ****ing portraits for 4 euros, it's exploiting your loyal consumers and fans and milk money out of them, which is not something I want to see in games that I care of (which Obsidian's games usually are)

5) I'm not suggesting them to start self-publishing right now, even if it did work for Larian, just that they cut their ties with Paradox, that has done nothing but harm to both PoE and Tyranny.

1. Yes, Obsidian has the final say. Why does it matter if someone releases a console port for the game when it's not Obsidian? Because console players shouldn't be allowed to play games like Cities:Skylines and PoE?

Just because they are allowing PoE to be ported to consoles doesn't mean they would go all InXile on us and make the next game with consoles in mind from the get go. 

If their plans on PoE IP goes as planned they will make an open world game like Skyrim in the setting (not PoE 3), which would make it quite important for their IP and brand to have some recognition before hand on the console crowds. Not to mention any financial gain they get from this deal will help them get there, as well going to that self publishing mode Feargus has been talking about.

2. And how exactly are they giving the finger to backers? They are allowing someone else to port their 2 year old game to consoles. They are not making PoE2 with consoles in mind or creating console version of that game either.

How much it sells is quite irrelevant depending on the deal. Obsidian isn't using their own resources or funds to create the port, hence it's Paradox that is taking the risk. InXile did all the work themselves.

3. Well, Paradox is right about timing. Most games get first DLC quite fast after the initial launch date, if Obsidian had waited until the whole expansion pack was done, it would have been one year after the game came out which is far too late for most people. I had trouble getting into the expansion even after the shorter wait period and I'm not alone on this.

4. If Paradox has customer who want to buy such things, then let them buy such things. I would hardly call it exploiting if there is demand for such packs. If it was force fed with larger DLC packs, then it would be exploiting. 

5. Sure, cut all ties. Lose whatever Tyranny based projects they have going on and possible future publishing deals such World of Darkness game. There are soooo many publishers just waiting to publish CRPG's.

I'm heavily against this. When POE was first backed, many people backed it under the impression that the game would have the old PC RPG gaming crowd in mind, i.e, that there would be no stupid control or complexity simplifications for the console audience. I backed the second game under the assumption that the developers would take the same approach. PC gaming needs a distinct exclusive niche of its own, and my experience with other projects also released for consoles, such as Tides of Numenara, has caused be to believe that "adapting" a PC RPG so that it works on consoles always makes it worse that it could have been.

I understand that it is Paradox, not Obsidian, who is making the console port. But I am concerned that this may suggest a "move" toward making changes in development of POE2 so that it may also later suit the console audience. 

• Like 3

I'm heavily against this. When POE was first backed, many people backed it under the impression that the game would have the old PC RPG gaming crowd in mind, i.e, that there would be no stupid control or complexity simplifications for the console audience. I backed the second game under the assumption that the developers would take the same approach. PC gaming needs a distinct exclusive niche of its own, and my experience with other projects also released for consoles, such as Tides of Numenara, has caused be to believe that "adapting" a PC RPG so that it works on consoles always makes it worse that it could have been.

I understand that it is Paradox, not Obsidian, who is making the console port. But I am concerned that this may suggest a "move" toward making changes in development of POE2 so that it may also later suit the console audience. 

Josh has already said that they are developing PoE2 with only PC and Mac in mind. They are NOT looking into consoles at all when it comes to developing PoE2. If there ever is a port for PoE2, someone else (Paradox?) will have to figure out how to make that game, just like they are with PoE.

28BZPQd.png

Deadfire still looks 95% the same, UI-wise, as Pillars of Eternity, so I am not worried (for now). Nothing against bringing the game to consoles if the original is still made with PCs in mind. I shall, of course, be disappointed if a possible PoE3 breaks from this, but I like to think Obs has more sense than that. I am quite curious to see how they adapted the game to suit consoles.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

Are you handicapped or something? In addition, I clearly backed the original game on Kickstarter (i.e. I play on the PC) since the icons are front and center under my user name.

WTF does "allow to control the amount of experience required to level or this is a total no-play on consoles" even mean? 

That console users care about this, as opposed to PC gamers who don't? (not true)

Also, how should the players be allowed to determine their experience and stuff? Like, "mhm, I completed a quest, now let's choose how much XP I get from this"? It's Obsidian who should balance the experience given by quests, not players. And Obsidian isn't even working on this, Paradox (which know nothing about the game systems design) is, so if they even try to touch anything it will probably be for the worse.

1. Yes, Obsidian has the final say. Why does it matter if someone releases a console port for the game when it's not Obsidian? Because console players shouldn't be allowed to play games like Cities:Skylines and PoE?

Just because they are allowing PoE to be ported to consoles doesn't mean they would go all InXile on us and make the next game with consoles in mind from the get go. 

If their plans on PoE IP goes as planned they will make an open world game like Skyrim in the setting (not PoE 3), which would make it quite important for their IP and brand to have some recognition before hand on the console crowds. Not to mention any financial gain they get from this deal will help them get there, as well going to that self publishing mode Feargus has been talking about.

2. And how exactly are they giving the finger to backers? They are allowing someone else to port their 2 year old game to consoles. They are not making PoE2 with consoles in mind or creating console version of that game either.

How much it sells is quite irrelevant depending on the deal. Obsidian isn't using their own resources or funds to create the port, hence it's Paradox that is taking the risk. InXile did all the work themselves.

3. Well, Paradox is right about timing. Most games get first DLC quite fast after the initial launch date, if Obsidian had waited until the whole expansion pack was done, it would have been one year after the game came out which is far too late for most people. I had trouble getting into the expansion even after the shorter wait period and I'm not alone on this.

4. If Paradox has customer who want to buy such things, then let them buy such things. I would hardly call it exploiting if there is demand for such packs. If it was force fed with larger DLC packs, then it would be exploiting. 

5. Sure, cut all ties. Lose whatever Tyranny based projects they have going on and possible future publishing deals such World of Darkness game. There are soooo many publishers just waiting to publish CRPG's.

1) I don't give a **** about console peasants, these games don't work on their ****ty consoles, they don't even like this genre, so **** no, they shouldn't get portings for PoE and similar titles. 

Also, maybe it won't happen to PoE, but you're quite naive if you think that developing games on console changes nothing and doesn't affect the PC version as well (and in a negative way). Just look at Dragon Age: first game developed mostly with PC in mind --> good game, even if a bit dumbed down to appease to console users; other two developed with consoles in mind --> utter ****, no sense of tactic whatsoever.

2) Backers backed PoE and PoE2 to have a PC game, made for the PC audience. If you start bringing the game to consoles you're letting those people down (most of them, at least). Many people wouldn't even back (or back at a lower pledge) if they knew Obsidian would start considering a console version of this series.

How much it sells is quite relevant, instead: if the port goes well, you might as well say goodbye to a good, future PoE made with PC in mind and say welcome to a multi-platform, dumbed down **** no one wants from this game. Luckily, I think PoE on consoles will sell almost nothing, so we'll probably avoid that terrible scenario.

3) Splitting the DLC into half didn't improve anything, in fact it wasn't successful. Also, they don't seem to care so much about timing for Tyranny, since they are releasing DLCs after more than half a year. 

4) Who cares if they fraud morons out of their money, yeah sure. Totally a sound business model that should be supported, can't wait for other companies to start filling their games with endless, useless DLCs too.

5) Tyranny, lol. First of all, the game was not that good from the start so if they don't make a second one I'll not lose my sleep over it. But if you care about it, then okay let's just say I hope Obsidian cut their ties to them in regards to PoE, since I don't want Paradox to damage this IP as they've been trying since the announcement of the publishing deal. 

1) I don't give a **** about console peasants, these games don't work on their ****ty consoles, they don't even like this genre, so **** no, they shouldn't get portings for PoE and similar titles. 

Also, maybe it won't happen to PoE, but you're quite naive if you think that developing games on console changes nothing and doesn't affect the PC version as well (and in a negative way). Just look at Dragon Age: first game developed mostly with PC in mind --> good game, even if a bit dumbed down to appease to console users; other two developed with consoles in mind --> utter ****, no sense of tactic whatsoever.

2) Backers backed PoE and PoE2 to have a PC game, made for the PC audience. If you start bringing the game to consoles you're letting those people down (most of them, at least). Many people wouldn't even back (or back at a lower pledge) if they knew Obsidian would start considering a console version of this series.

How much it sells is quite relevant, instead: if the port goes well, you might as well say goodbye to a good, future PoE made with PC in mind and say welcome to a multi-platform, dumbed down **** no one wants from this game. Luckily, I think PoE on consoles will sell almost nothing, so we'll probably avoid that terrible scenario.

3) Splitting the DLC into half didn't improve anything, in fact it wasn't successful. Also, they don't seem to care so much about timing for Tyranny, since they are releasing DLCs after more than half a year. 

4) Who cares if they fraud morons out of their money, yeah sure. Totally a sound business model that should be supported, can't wait for other companies to start filling their games with endless, useless DLCs too.

5) Tyranny, lol. First of all, the game was not that good from the start so if they don't make a second one I'll not lose my sleep over it. But if you care about it, then okay let's just say I hope Obsidian cut their ties to them in regards to PoE, since I don't want Paradox to damage this IP as they've been trying since the announcement of the publishing deal. 

1. Too bad for you, someone is willing to share these games with console players as well. Don't lose your sleep over it though, as traumatic as it must be for you.

You are comparing oranges to tomatoes. Dragon Age 2&3 were published by EA, a company that doesn't do PC exclusives or development with PC gamers as their core audience and on the other hand you are looking at an indie developer who is using crowd funding to fund their PC games. 

I wonder, which of these two companies has more to lose if they lose the faith of the PC gaming community. In case you are wondering the correct answer doesn't start with an E.

2. Backers got exactly what they backed, a PC version of the game. No one is taking your copy away now that someone else is porting the game to consoles. Stop being a 3 year old girl. Most of the backers couldn't care less, if someone on consoles gets to play the game that Obsidian themselves won't even put resources behind. It would be a different story if they suddenly shifted Brennecke and Sawyer to work on the console version.

3. So I guess they learned their lesson with PoE and are making sure not to repeat it with Tyranny. But oh, wait that's a bad thing as well... 

4. So it's fraud in Italy to ask money for something you've created? Have you ever stopped to think some of these people might actually want to support the developers/publishers, or they actually enjoy those trivial packs. Just because it isn't to your or my liking doesn't make it fraud or Paradox a bad company.

5. Well from the look of it, you aren't sleeping tonite with the way you are ranting about a console port. Tyranny does however employ a good number of people, so if they would say cut their ties they would have to find a new project and fast for those people and like I said earlier there aren't that many publishers just waiting to throw money at Obsidian.

Yes, they are diabolically evil them Swedes. I