Used a Mending, nothing worked.

Hakinator

Question

Very simply, I used a Mending spell to trade in one item from my inventory for another, when I click on the item I want to take back from my Discard pile there is no button to press to do so, nor can I drag the card to my hand or deck. As for some of the details:

Character - Harsk

Spell in question - Mending

Discarded... - Potion of Hiding

...to get - Spyglass

Scenario - Local Heroes

Location - Sandpoint Cathedral

I also can not close out of the menu, take back my action, or bring up the games main menu. I'm also playing this on Steam, if that helps.

23 answers to this question

I'm having the same issue as Hakinator.

It's something that happened to me several times to me on the mobile version, using Mending and not being able to draw the card I want. I would be able to just barely select it, and it's highlighted as interactible, but there's no button to draw it and react to nothing. I can only draw a card by dragging it from the discard to my hand. Except that if the card I want is too much to the side, that's not an option, so I have to pick another one.

In this case, I'm on the Steam version, and the only card I can draw is right on the edge of the screen. I can't grab it or do anything. None of the shortcuts do anything other than occasionally producing a sound effect.

Version: Steam

Username: Sojiro888 #1854

Permadeath: off

Mode: Story

Characters: alt Seelah, alt Amiri

Locations: Seelah is in the General Shop, Amiri is in the woods

Turn order: 1. Seelah 2. Amiri

Scenario: Heroes of Sandpoint, normal difficulty (this pair of characters is doing it for the first time, and has only done the previous ones once)

Encounter: I encountered a few Monsters and used the location power to Explore again until I encountered a Guide, which Seelah acquired and Banished to close the location. After receiving the free item from the location closing, I tried to use Mending to swap her Superior Longsword for the Battleaxe +1 in her discard (only weapon in there)

The Steam version is not as good as the mobile one when it comes to dragging stuff around, which is usually just a bit inconvenient, but in this case it's making the game literally unplayable. After trying all the keyboard inputs I could think of and clicking everything, failing to grab everything, I eventually had to forcefully shut the game down with Alt+F4.

After trying for another half hour, I finally discovered that I could move the card by dragging it, but only if I held the button for a second before starting to move. It was something similar on the mobile version where the normal dragging wouldn't work, and you had to do a long tap first.

Kyra was down to three cards: Mending, Deathbane Shield, and a flaming weapon.

Clicked on Mending.

Asked to select a weapon.

Clicked on the scimitar

Asked to confirm

Got the Discard window

Two weapons highlighted

Selecting the card enlarges it. Selecting it again returns it to the discard window.

Message at the bottom of the screen: Exchange 1 card in your hand with 1 discarded card

Only card still in my hand is the shield.

No option to back out or cancel. Game is stuck in this state.

Screen shot available if you think it will help.

EDIT: Alt-tabbed out of the game to close it. Restarted at was dismayed to find that it returned me to the exact same screen. Clicked on a weapon, dragged it out of the the discard window and it immediately worked. Seems to be a UI bug rather than a "missing cancel" issue.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Selecting the card enlarges it. Selecting it again returns it to the discard window.

Message at the bottom of the screen: Exchange 1 card in your hand with 1 discarded card

Don't know if this applies to your case but sometimes when you select a card from a pile or deck and it gets enlarged it hides the "draw/take" buttons. Try dragging it to your hand (or deck depending on spell or effect). It should work.

Confirmed that this happens consistently with Improved Mending. I have to alt-tab out of the game, close it, then relaunch before I can pull a card from the discard pile.

@Azarel - you can only click. Dragging doesn't work.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Confirmed that this happens consistently with Improved Mending. I have to alt-tab out of the game, close it, then relaunch before I can pull a card from the discard pile.

@Azarel - you can only click. Dragging doesn't work.

I usually throw Mending away as garbage, but Seoni has Improved Mending (as a lite Arcane version of Healing) and it worked every time for me (Android). No problems with being unable to draw the items.

Still broken for me on the Steam version though.

I don't know if it is just something about using a mouse pointer vs touch screen, but after the card has come up a few times for me, I agree that Mending still doesn't work quite right.

Though, you shouldn't have to alt-tab out of the game.  You can still cancel the spell with the red X, or tap the options button, view your collection, and then back out.  That forces a UI redraw and often seems to help out when things are acting funny.

The red X isn't present. The options button...I may not have tried (pretty sure I did though). I'll grab a screen shot next time it happens.

I used regular Mending last night without issue. The only difference I noticed was that I only had a few cards in my Discard pile, whereas it's normally pretty full when I need to cast that spell. I wonder if the UI is choking on too many cards.

The red X isn't present. The options button...I may not have tried (pretty sure I did though). I'll grab a screen shot next time it happens.

I'm referring to the Cancel this action X that is on the left edge of the screen, not the missing X in the top-right corner of the discard window.

Here are a couple screenshots from this morning as I knocked out the daily challenges:

Improved Mending fired off, expected X in top-right of Discard window is missing, not replaced with a grayed-out box or other filler image.

ivrgT0O.png

The Amulet of Fortitude just won't drag from the top window to my deck.  However, I can use the "Cancel Action" X on the left edge of the screen to give up. I was also able to select the options button to give the "Vault Return Trick" a try.

And here's a closeup of the card without any draw button:

1GHo8WX.png

I was eventually able to drag down the Mattock, but I currently don't know why that card (or card position) worked when others seemingly didn't.  I'll have to see what happens next time Improved Mending comes around.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

Yes, I assumed that's what you meant. That red X isn't present.

Hence why I have to alt tab out and close the game from Windows.

post-1981-0-69318400-1509671783_thumb.jpg

Edited by Achilles

I have a solo Lem build that I keep around for daily challenges.

I've noticed that when the discard pile gets to a certain size, the Versatile Performance power starts having problems. Click on the card type, discard UI comes up, can't click on anything in it. Exit out and try again, works this time. Consistently.

However the Mending UI doesn't have the option to exit out, hence the need to alt-tab and restart.

More fuel for the fire.

I thought maybe troubles began once all the UI slots were filled, but I just noticed the issue with only 9 cards in discard.

FWIW, I appear to be unable to reproduce this on my iPad. Everything I've posted above has been from my PC or iPhone.

Update to last night's update: I don't have the issue when there are 8 cards in the discard pile. Some sort of disconnect in the leap between 8 and 9 cards, it would appear.

EDIT: Yep, super mega ultra confirmed. Discard pile at 11, bug appears. Discard pile drops to 8, bug is gone. Discard pile jumps back up to 10, bug is back.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 3

Can confirm this is an issue on PC Steam Version

Used Mending at Farmhouse of First Non Tutorial Mission on Valleros.
Able to Drag cards, but putting in Discard or Draw Pile does nothing.
Have exited and restarted many times, but still unable to progress.

Sucks there is a complete game breaking bug in the first 40 minutes of my purchasing this game...

Update to last night's update: I don't have the issue when there are 8 cards in the discard pile. Some sort of disconnect in the leap between 8 and 9 cards, it would appear.

EDIT: Yep, super mega ultra confirmed. Discard pile at 11, bug appears. Discard pile drops to 8, bug is gone. Discard pile jumps back up to 10, bug is back.

Really good find! Tells why it does not appear sometimes and when it does happen. Hopefully some dev sees your message!

Can confirm this is an issue on PC Steam Version

Used Mending at Farmhouse of First Non Tutorial Mission on Valleros.

Able to Drag cards, but putting in Discard or Draw Pile does nothing.

Have exited and restarted many times, but still unable to progress.

Sucks there is a complete game breaking bug in the first 40 minutes of my purchasing this game...

You should only have to alt-tab out of the game once. It's a frustrating bug, but I've never encountered a situation where I wasn't able to continue after restarting.

Playing B-1 with Valeros and Lem.

Lem has 11 cards in his discard and just used Versatile Performance without having to back out of the Discard UI after selecting a card from his hand. I wonder if the "8 cards vs 9 cards" thing has some relationship to deck size.