The AMAZING suggestion thread (Suggestions)

The absolute favorite feature of Tyranny, incorporated into my absolute favorite CRPG of all times.... (Pillars of Eternity),  would make the sequel the greatest game in this genre of all time IMO.

And what might you ask this is?!?!? 

Custom spell crafting. The custom spell crafting in Tyranny made every combat situation able to be dealt with in so many more ways. (Yes, all of them being magic related) This for one is just downright fun to manipulate, and two gave a lot of replay-ability to the game. 

It would also be amazing to see a similar customization for melee ability's. I have never seen that before in my life in ANY game. Custom melee maneuvers, make an ability that does super heavy damage with power, and swing speed modifiers. Or make a melee ability that does light damage but knocks down, and slows targets, Oh add a 5 meter AoE ability to that. How amazing would that be?!?!?! Just to be able to customize your attacks in this fashion would add so much to the game. 

Now if you REALLY wanted to create the Crem De La Crem of all CRPG's you would do the two mentioned steps above, then also incorporate the coolest feature of Divinity Original Sin. The way the different elements interact gives their fairly simple combat system in Divinity so much more depth, and allows for a lot of creativity in combat situations. I am not going to go into to much detail because I am sure many of you have played it. But the fact that fire hitting poision makes explosions, water hitting fire making steam (Smokescreen) Oil contacting fire makes firey ground cover. Wet ground with ice spells hitting it makes slippery ice floor cover. These combinations make the combat so entertaining in Divinity, cause it again adds so many combinations of ways to deal with combat, it also makes the characters feed off each other.

Serious food for thought here boys, if you would like further creativity / mechanics ideas just PM me. No charge! =P

• Like 1

Spell crafting may be flexible, encourage experimenting and all that, but the resulting custom spells are utterly generic and downright boring. There's a certain lack of "character", if you will.

I take unique, established spells, with a good amount of lore and history attached to them, over super-generic, run-of-the-mill spells out of the construction kit any day of the week.

• Like 8

I also really like custom tailored game systems. There is value in built in limitations. I wonder if there is a way to pull something like this alongside more bespoke spell/melee systems without making either feel gimped or incomplete.

I've yet to play Tyranny so I don't know how that system,  but I just looked up some videos and it certainly seems neat. The PoE world clearly has precedence for people creating new spells, e.g. Concelhaut.

I don't think we'll see this in Deadfire, but maybe in 3? I think Obsidian probably has enough work on their hands making 20 levels worth of abilities for 11 base classes with 3 additional sub-classes each.

• Like 1

Some spell-crafting easter eggs might be fun. They can put some (non-obvious) hints in lore books and in the material descriptions. Finding the right clues and combinations will then allow the player to unlock an entirely new, unique spell, perhaps with a little help from an arcane master or some such.

At least it would make the lore more interesting to read.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd rather craft my own Grimoire. All those Scrolls I find? What if I could put them all together, and create a Grimoire from scratch? Maybe I could use one of those Wolfpelts for the leather book cover?

Would be sweet :D

• Like 1

In all honesty it does not even have to end there, imagine if you could custom tailor your whole combat experience, giving limitless combinations, and being able to design your party with real total cohesion. 

Make archery shots customizable in the same matter adding elemental effects, knockdown, slowing, charming, splitting, bouncing....ect....ect. 

Make items 100% customizable to high end crafters. For example, give items a value of 100 points. +1 STR cost 10 points, +2 costs 30 points....a full +5 costs 100. Wanna make the item grant fireball, or backstab skill, that costs a flat 50 . So you could make an item that is +2 STR, for 30 points, Grants backstab for 50, Gives 1 CON for 10, and +10 poison resist for 10 making a total of 100. How fun would that be? 

The replay-ability of a game involving fully customizable spells, melee skills, archery, rogue ability's, and items would make for such an epic experience. The variety to combat would would be practically limitless. 

• Like 1

This is probably not going to happen, but something I thought would be amazing is a specific quest designed around each background for characters from Deadfire. So that you have to deal with the consequences of why you originally left, whether you're an escaped slave or you ran from your apprenticeship or whatever. It would be a *ton* of work to do this, however, which is why I suspect it would never happen.

• Like 2

I take unique, established spells, with a good amount of lore and history attached to them, over super-generic, run-of-the-mill spells out of the construction kit any day of the week.

This. Also replace spell with weapon and you have another very good statement :)

• Like 2

This is probably not going to happen, but something I thought would be amazing is a specific quest designed around each background for characters from Deadfire. So that you have to deal with the consequences of why you originally left, whether you're an escaped slave or you ran from your apprenticeship or whatever. It would be a *ton* of work to do this, however, which is why I suspect it would never happen.

7 cultures & 17 backgrounds. Not every culture have all the backgrounds but it'd make something like a 100 different quests I guess :) Even after culture & background choices we can tell Calisca different things about what we did/why we left... Granted many similar variables here could be merged to some extent but still a *ton* of work. If you do this you won't do much else and you'll have a game like Age of Decadence in your hands. Where "hardcore" audience cherish but don't actually play it much.

The 7 cultures don't matter, because this would only apply to people in continuing game from PoE who had Deadfire as their place of origin. Only the different backgrounds would matter, and as you said plenty of those selections from Calisca can be combined. Still a hell of a lot of work, but not as extreme as all that.

The problem with those custom items, spells etc. Is that i am yet to see a system which works well. I found Tyranny's spell crafting system, while intriguing at first, quite fiddly and unengaging. Yes, when playing on PotD I did recraft my spells to better fit major encounters. But it wasn't a fun or creative process. He is weak to ice - use ice spells. Choose expression, which your enemy will be most likely to be hit by. No matter what combinations you do, the spells are generic. You can't create interesting or unique combinations. I found PoE system to be much more flexible. I don't remember Tyranny having spells with functionality which PoE didn't have and it was much easier to set up couple Grimoires with different spells, tailored for various enemy weaknesses. In Tyranny you just had to go through spell crafting routine before each harder engagement - Until, of course, game gets easy and you just roll with the same spells in every fight.

The D:OS had really fun spells, but I feel the game has to be turn based for it to work. POE is already messy and things will get only mor unreadable the more things will be happening at the same time.

• Like 1

It would be a nice touch. I hope that at least it will be referenced if you are from Deadfire.

I don't remember Tyranny having spells with functionality which PoE didn't have

They actually did, though. Frostfire, for one--fire spells with both ice and fire effects, or ice spells with both. Volcanic hammer, for two--distance fire effects on critical hits. Also various aura damaging spells, the multi-target fireballs you can make, etc.