Pls make steam version free!

Yup, they told us these purchases would be cross platform and lied to us about this.  Will be boycotting all Obsidian games until they fix this.

Nobody is particularly happy that the PC version isn't free, but I guess I have two comments to add:

1. You are linking to a thread from a full month before the game was released.  At that point in the release cycle, we were still even 6 months away from AD4.  In a technical sense, yes, it is still accurate.  Anything you acquired on mobile is available on PC.  The only change is that the pathfinder application itself is not being released for free on steam, as may have been assumed.  The steam game is bundled in with content that you may-or-may-not already possess.  Disappointing, yes; intentionally misleading, I wouldn't say so.

2. Asking Obsidian to release the game for free on Steam is potentially asking them to double-down on an unsuccessful strategy.  The F2P mechanic was a noble venture, but they ultimately made the decision that the financial stability of the game (and future expansions) required a new direction.  Revenue fuels new content, not in-game gold.

• Like 2

Most likely it does not affect the mobile support. For Obsidian this is still their first mobile game. This may have affect on how the possible future content is available on mobile devices. Sooner or later the support to older mobile devices will drop as They don't get os upgrades though. In PC They can Expect more steady os upgrades.

Well, for iOS players, the game crashing when trying to do anything with characters has been nice unaddressed for at least a week, (whenever the last update pre-Steam release was).

New bigger patch has taken normally about one to two months so Expect to see it in that time frame. Most likely it will appear with first part of Goblin dls because it has been started allready. Is there a hotfix before that is harder to say. There has been so Many bugs that the dev team has its hands full of drying to reproduce them and then find out how to fix them. It seems that the Steam release has allowed a Little bigger dev team than before, but how long time They have more than two or three programmers remains to be seing. Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 1

Does this mean that mobile support will be put on the backburner now?

I doubt it.  They have already stated that it is their goal to keep all versions in parity.

And honestly, the mobile versions will still probably have more in common with the steam version that whatever is released on GoG.

The only real difference I'm willing to bet might come to mobile is the gradual phase-out of F2P mechanisms.  I'd be pretty surprised if the Rise of the Goblins DLC came with a price tag payable in gold.

So, Hannibal's response says that we're going to have the pleasure of waiting 1-2 months (barring a hotfix) to get an update and hopefully a fix to not being able to play the game?

I would love to get an official response, because other than people on the forum, there's been really nothing than a statement of about oh, we'll let them know.

So, Hannibal's response says that we're going to have the pleasure of waiting 1-2 months (barring a hotfix) to get an update and hopefully a fix to not being able to play the game?

It's hardly that dire.  If you flip back through the version history, the dev team was pushing updates at least twice a month since launch.

True, there was bit of a development freeze between March and June as they prepped for PC launch, but regular updates to fix game-breaking bugs is pretty common with this game.  "Beneficial" bugs or gameplay annoyances that don't break the game may stick around for a while, but progression breaks and "game don't work" problems have a pretty decent turnaround time.

1.2.6.5 will likely be the the Goblins DLC release, so it wouldn't be too crazy if we hit 1.2.6.4.6 or something in the meantime.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

I would love to get an official response, because other than people on the forum, there's been really nothing than a statement of about oh, we'll let them know.

I'm in a similar boat. I came back from a multi-month break. Last I played I had deleted my existing party and was doing some solo character play. However, I wanted to go back to a multi-character party now, yet was unable to edit the existing 1-character party to have 4 characters. I figured I'd just delete that existing "party" and attempt making a new one. However, I quickly found that party creation is currently broken, and I can't make a new party. I now have no existing party, nor can I make one...

Oh well, I'll go play in Quest Mode, since I do remember having a full active party in that game mode. Wait a sec, where did Quest Mode go??? Oh, that's right - they removed it.....because.

My game is unplayable, and it is very frustrating. And for what it is worth, I bought the Rise of the Runelords bundle on day 1, because I wanted to support this project so it could be the best it possibly could be. However, the game has had an abundance of bugs since day 1, and instead of streamlining the experience and fixing bugs as thoroughly as possible, efforts instead go towards creating more micro-transactions that do very little for the overall "quality of life" of the game.

Is there a bug with the in-game store? "Oh my God -> We need to fix that IMMEDIATELY!!!!!"

Is there a bug with the actual game that makes it unplayable? "Put it on the to-do list....we'll get to it eventually"

That's what it feels like.

I am sure that all bugs Are equally important, but some bugs Are harder to fix than another. So some bugs takes multible patches to reach a state that it can be considered to be fixed. I think that there still Are some very old bugs still Hanging around. Removing the quest mode Hopefully did solve some of them.

My point is, since the update prior to the one that fixed store access (imagine that, you can go spend money already), the game crashes anytime I attempt to play it. I'm not saying that the fix will be 1-2 months out, that was what someone else said. On the ratings for PA on the App Store for the most current version, there are 13 ratings, and 11 of them are 2 star or less, with most of those being a 1 star rating.

I'm not whining about a little bug that makes things wonky. I cannot even play the effing game, and no one has addressed the issue to even say "we're working on it."

A player on the steam version posted they were getting a hang up on the start screen, someone responded immediately to ask for their information and to offer them some compensation, yet no one even officially acknowledged the iOS mobile version problem yet.

It is evidently clear that all the resources are being dedicated to the pay to play version (outside of that store fix which was put up pretty darn fast wasn't it) versus the mobile version, which contradicts what someone posted about making each an equal priority.

Also, I recall reading on these boards that Quest mode was removed because it was difficult to create new content (which I still don't get, as it just used stuff from in the game), but then they announce the new, pay with money (not gold) goblins dlc.

This in an unfunny joke. I cannot even play a game I have previously spent money on and can't even get any type of acknowledgement other than well, goblins is coming soon, so maybe there'll be another update.

The official response is that we are still tracking down and fixing this.

It is very likely this has to do with memory constraints. We are still digging into it. One thing we discussed this morning was restructuring how characters are loaded into memory in an attempt to load more assets dynamically. This is a memory vs. speed trade off, though.

Once we lock in on what is causing this issue for some people we will have a better timeline for the fix.

We haven't forgotten about you. This is a high priority issue for us.

• Like 4

I agree that it's frustrating if you can't play the mobile version right now, and that seeing a quick response on steam doubles that frustration.  But I don't think that this means that this means mobile is not an equal priority.  The desktop/steam launch just happened, so I'd imagine a large support focus on that area, then over time support for both platforms will equal out.  You can also see that there is some response in the technical support forum, but mostly dealing with back-end PlayFab account related issues

My guess is that there will be a mobile app update this week that fixes some critical issues, and then an immediate emergency update to fix a critical issue introduced by that update.

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

And if the problem is memory, it is more dire in the mobile platforms because there can be devices that have very Little memory compared to PC. In some games there is a slider for how much it will use memory. So you can deside how much content is loaded to the memory. Would it work in this case? Fixed Number is ofcourse easier, but if I can chose between speed and make the game working at all. It would nice to have options.

Yup, they told us these purchases would be cross platform and lied to us about this.  Will be boycotting all Obsidian games until they fix this.

Nobody is particularly happy that the PC version isn't free, but I guess I have two comments to add:

1. You are linking to a thread from a full month before the game was released.  At that point in the release cycle, we were still even 6 months away from AD4.  In a technical sense, yes, it is still accurate.  Anything you acquired on mobile is available on PC.  The only change is that the pathfinder application itself is not being released for free on steam, as may have been assumed.  The steam game is bundled in with content that you may-or-may-not already possess.  Disappointing, yes; intentionally misleading, I wouldn't say so.

2. Asking Obsidian to release the game for free on Steam is potentially asking them to double-down on an unsuccessful strategy.  The F2P mechanic was a noble venture, but they ultimately made the decision that the financial stability of the game (and future expansions) required a new direction.  Revenue fuels new content, not in-game gold.

I understand that it was old, but it was the official line and they never bothered correcting it so anyone (like myself) who googled this before purchasing it got conned.  It's definitely misleading, and the worst part is that after reneging on it they're just burying their heads in the sand and aren't even responding to customers.

If they want to charge new users for the steam version then go ahead and do so, there'll be plenty of new players who didn't grab it on mobile willing to pay.  But stick to the deal you made with us.

I will make an official post type post soon. I will have to have it vetted because I obviously don't say something incorrectly.

I actually had planned to do that today but fires happened (looks at his watch) and are still happening now.

Okie Dokie, been a few days now since the fires started, but these things happen.  Please can you tell us, is there any chance that the developers of Pathfinder Adventures will keep their original agreement with their paying customers?

I suspect that if the f2p business model of pathfinder was meeting their goals, they would not have changed it. We saw gold rewards decreased and the addition of cosmetic dice and character variants added in a way that strongly suggests they were fumbling for additional income.

Now that the steam version has forgone the f2p model, they can't easily walk it back. Theyd make their steam customers upset if they did so. Just as importantly, they feel they've already tried f2p for this game and it hasn't worked.

I suspect that if the f2p business model of pathfinder was meeting their goals, they would not have changed it. We saw gold rewards decreased and the addition of cosmetic dice and character variants added in a way that strongly suggests they were fumbling for additional income.

Now that the steam version has forgone the f2p model, they can't easily walk it back. Theyd make their steam customers upset if they did so. Just as importantly, they feel they've already tried f2p for this game and it hasn't worked.

That's completely not the point though.

What they didn't do is make the Steam client free, so people that already bought the content on mobile could play it on Steam as well (as promised), instead they put a price on the Steam client that includes all that content which people already paid for.

The point being: You're basically paying double for the same content, when it was promised you wouldn't have to. And the only way to 'solve' that is to not pay for the Steam version.

I'm not saying it's great. It's lousy.

I'm unlikely to buy the steam version, myself.

Angry iOS players are probably water under the bridge for them now.

I'd be curious how many PC players have linked their accounts with a mobile device.