So, as we know, Deadfire will include both Multiclassing and Prestige Classes and I am here wondering, how will those two work together? I mean, to give an example, if I choose to Multiclass as a Fighter-Druid, am I locked out of the Prestige Classes for both Fighter and Druid or am I completely wrong? Sorry if the question seems too obvious, I've never played a game with both Multiclassing and Prestige Classes so no idea how those two systems would interact with each other.

First of all those are subclasses, not prestige classes.

Subclasses alter the base class a bit but are not supposed to be stronger or weaker than the base class.

You pick a subclass right at character creation. You can't switch from base class to a subclass during the game.

Because of this, you can multiclass (or dual-class in PoE2's case) any base- or subclass with every other base- or subclass. There may be some restrictions when it comes to paladin/priest classes (because it doesn't make sense to combine a Bleak Walker = paladin subclass with a priest of Eothas = priest subclass), but those will have logical reasons, not mechanical ones.

Also, you don't multiclass at character creation but once you level up.

To pick up your example:

You can roll a druid and you will have to decide if it's a normal druid, a shapeshifter or whatever subclass druids will have.

And then, later on at a level up, you can choose to multiclass with abase fighter or a black jacket fighter or whatever fighter subclass there will be.

You will not be able to multiclass inside one "class tree": a druid subclass a can't be multiclassed with druid subclass b or base druid or so.

Hope I explained it okayish. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

How many classes will we be able to multi class to? Can I go fighter/rogue/chanter?

I suppose one could try to make a mod that does it like that, but they seem to be only planning for multiclassing to only one class. However, any class can multiclass to anything with no restrictions, other than back to it's own class.

Yeah, I like how they are implementing multi-classing.  I have to say, I am not a fan of the 3rd edition method of multi-classing, so being restricted to two classes and the use of 'power sources' and such sounds good to me.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Yes, sure. Some will even have alternative starting classes. Edér for example can start as fighter or rogue now. You can then multiclass with anything else if you want, but he will have to start as either rogue or fighter.

Same with Xoti: she has to start as priest or monk but then it's up to you.

Aloth has to start as wizard (no alternative choice like with Edér) but can then be multiclassed with anything.

This is info from the backer updates and twitch streams and may change.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...

Yes, sure. Some will even have alternative starting classes. Edér for example can start as fighter or rogue now. You can then multiclass with anything else if you want, but he will have to start as either rogue or fighter.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really picture Eder as a rogue. :biggrin:  Still it's nice that we now have the chance to MC our companions this time around.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really picture Eder as a rogue. :biggrin:  Still it's nice that we now have the chance to MC our companions this time around.

Remember Rogues are not just the dodgy fella with knives in Eora.  They are often strike forces, pollaxe-wielding maniacs who lead the flanking assault, those trained to take down their enemies quickly rather than standing in line holding the line.  Eder always had a bit of a disobedient streak in him anyway, and his fighting style in the short story always came across as rather rogue-like.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard a rumour that Eder was originally meant to be a rogue, but he was changed to a fighter because the party lacked a durable frontliner in the early game, unless the Watcher was one. Both fit him, really.

So, that's why we lack a rogue?

I've heard a rumour that Eder was originally meant to be a rogue, but he was changed to a fighter because the party lacked a durable frontliner in the early game, unless the Watcher was one. Both fit him, really.

Isn't Xloti's first class choice set to either priest or rogue? Multiclassing is always an option though.

Isn't Xloti's first class choice set to either priest or rogue? Multiclassing is always an option though.

Priest/monk, I think... I seem to remember Ydwin's the other rogue.

In the base game, yeah.  Eder was going to be it at one point in development I recall, but was changed to Fighter, which is ironic since Edair the original version of Eder was a Fighter.  So he yo-yo'd between the two, probably why he fits as either.

Priest/monk, I think... I seem to remember Ydwin's the other rogue.

You may be right on that, and Ydwin is a sidekick, not a major character/companion.

Edited by smjjames

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the Bonteru, the dwarfen herbalist sidekick's a rogue too. A proponderence of rogues.

Amongst the sidekicks, yes.  Do you feel they are trying to over compensate for the rogue shortage in Pillars?

Oh, the Bonteru, the dwarfen herbalist sidekick's a rogue too. A proponderence of rogues.

Amongst the sidekicks, yes.  Do you feel they are trying to over compensate for the rogue shortage in Pillars?

*shrug* Maybe? Though the multiclassing opens up more options for the companions. Does seem like a heck of a lot of rogues. Bonteru is the only one whose story background is a rogue though, I believe.

I hope they add some background to those sidekick companions. The one who speaks no known language (or anything that is related to existing language families) and belongs to an unknown culture seems like the most interesting to me, mainly because of the mystery I guess.