20% Attack Speed Bonus from Nature's Bounty Being Suppressed by 15% Attack Speed Bonus from Spell Tongue

Mygaffer

Question

So the title sums it up, basically my Barbarian will often hit with Heart of Fury to rack up a couple minutes of the 15% attack speed bonus at the start of combat and then switch to my two handed weapon for the rest of the encounter.

In a bounty I used the Druid's Nature's Bounty spell and had my Barbarian drink the potion, then use Spell Tongue, as it was my understanding consumables were supposed to stack with equipment bonuses.

Not only is the consumable not stacking, but the higher bonus is being suppressed.

Any feedback here? I have to believe it is a bug and not as designed.

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/izd2L

Above is an image showing both active and one getting suppressed.

7 answers to this question

An effect of less value should not suppress that of higher value.

Are you sure you wasn't affected by other "attack speed" buffs?

I 100% was NOT affected by anything else that increases attack speed.

BUT actually neither should have been suppressed. The +15% from Spelltongue is from a weapon and the +20% is from a consumable. Weapons effects are not supposed to be suppressed by gear or other abilities.

I wish someone from the dev team would respond and let me know if that is expected behavior, a bug they know about or something that will be fixed.

The rule that weapons' enchantments stack with everything is only true for passive effects. The speed buff from spelltongue might be implemented in a way that it's considered an active, more spell-like ability that belongs to a certain group of speedups which suppress each other (like Disorienting on hit or Overbearing or Interfering). At least it has a duration and all. BUT I remember that it stacked with everything when WM came out (it also accidentally gave +90% speed back then) - so it might well be that it got reprogrammed and nerfed so it doesn't stack with everything anymore.

Or it's a problem with Nature's Bounty - although a speed buff from potions never stacked with any other spell-like speed buff.

However: a weaker effect should never suppress a stronger one. This has to be a bug then.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Finally have found time to test it. 

In v3.06 Spelltongue stacks with everything (including Nature's Bounty, see scr), with a single exception: it is being hard-suppressed by Durganized Weapon enchant.

And what I mean by hard-suppressed: if you durganize your spelltongue, it will continue to place the debuff on the enemy, but it will no longer place a buff on yourself, and your other buffs will no longer get prolonged, plus your offhand weapon and spellcasting will also won't be able to benefit from the +15% bonus.

• Like 2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But well... stuff like that happens, when someone revises / makes changes to existing mechanics while being short of time. Bonus points if it's not the original author.

• Like 1