Is it going to be published by Paradox Interactive?

Hay guys i am curious if the game is going to be published by PI?If so sadly i will not be getting it,their new prices policy and their heavy censorship both on their forums and steam reviews are pretty concerning for me and i have no intention of becoming a whale of a cow,i like myself as a Terran.I am huge Obsidian fan and have almost all of their games and have enjoyed all of them except tyranny.Tyranny with its 8euro-5mb dlc and the 4euro-portaits was/is huge let down for me.I do honestly hope that Obsidian try to go the self publishing path and succeed.

• Like 1

Well with EA you know what you get to be honest,they are shyte but obvious shyte oh and they are not that stupid to censor some steam reviews.Oh god i never imagined that there will be a day that i will defend EA,**** you paradox and all your milking practices.

Edited by dark___devil

Hay guys i am curious if the game is going to be published by PI?If so sadly i will not be getting it,their new prices policy and their heavy censorship both on their forums and steam reviews are pretty concerning for me and i have no intention of becoming a whale of a cow,i like myself as a Terran.I am huge Obsidian fan and have almost all of their games and have enjoyed all of them except tyranny.Tyranny with its 8euro-5mb dlc and the 4euro-portaits was/is huge let down for me.I do honestly hope that Obsidian try to go the self publishing path and succeed.

Just out of curiosity, did you enjoy Tyranny but are frustrated by dodgy DLC, or didn't you enjoy Tyranny at all?

Just out of curiosity, did you enjoy Tyranny but are frustrated by dodgy DLC, or didn't you enjoy Tyranny at all?

No, but I want to join the Paradox bashing hype!

Yeah just to throw this out there, but other than the expansions, this game really won't have any DLC.... so Paradox's DLC policies with their other games really will have 0 effect on Eternity.  That said, I would also prefer if Obsidian managed a self publish.

• Like 3

Fig (actuall Fig Publishing Inc.) is not only a crowdfunding platform, but also a publisher ("community powered publisher"). That's why you can "invest" in addition to the usual pledge.

https://www.fig.co/about#how-fig-works

So this game is being published by Fig Publishing Inc., don't you think?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'd rather Paradox published it. They're my favorite publisher out there, bar none.

Obsidian getting into publishing isn't something I'd relish myself. It takes a lot of time, a lot of capital, and would take focus away from making the best RPGs in the industry.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

As a company, yeah, Paradox is a great one to go with, and AFAIK, they were pretty hands off with the development of PoE1 and Tyranny (I heard they came on board pretty late in Tyranny). So, as long as they let Obsidian do their thing, it should be fine. Unlike, you know, EA....

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 6

No i didn't like the game.It is half-assed and the writing was terrible and the combat was meh.As for paradox well they are not much of publisher all they do is have a few twitch/youtube videos and then splash the game on GoG and Steam.PoE sell good mainly because of the kickstarter and the hype around.I haven't seen paradox do anything connected to marketing.Most third party games that they publish sale badly.Also i think that their dlc policy is the worst amongst the publishers.They put very little work in their dlcs while their games have a lot of bugs introduced by their patches.Even "Horse armor "have more work put in it.That is coming from a guy that have like 2000 hours in EU4 alone.Also i didn't get on the bandwagon,i didn't like them for a long time but they are the only people that make such games.

• Like 1

As a company, yeah, Paradox is a great one to go with, and AFAIK, they were pretty hands off with the development of PoE1 and Tyranny (I heard they came on board pretty late in Tyranny). So, as long as they let Obsidian do their thing, it should be fine. Unlike, you know, EA....

5 euros for a portrait pack, 7 for a DLC with minor extra content for the base game. Doesn't matter when you get the disease, the symptoms are still there.

• Like 1

I like the sorts of games Paradox publishes and develops, but their DLC policies are just awful.

Indeed, and as Karakov said these policies wouldn't really apply with Deadfire since Deadfire's likely to go the same way as Pillars and only have one or two major expansions.

• Like 1

No i didn't like the game.It is half-assed and the writing was terrible and the combat was meh.As for paradox well they are not much of publisher all they do is have a few twitch/youtube videos and then splash the game on GoG and Steam.PoE sell good mainly because of the kickstarter and the hype around.I haven't seen paradox do anything connected to marketing.Most third party games that they publish sale badly.Also i think that their dlc policy is the worst amongst the publishers.They put very little work in their dlcs while their games have a lot of bugs introduced by their patches.Even "Horse armor "have more work put in it.That is coming from a guy that have like 2000 hours in EU4 alone.Also i didn't get on the bandwagon,i didn't like them for a long time but they are the only people that make such games.

I think that Paradox's DLC policies are an interesting subject. I am a very casual player of paradox games (played double digits of CK2, EU4 and Stellaris). I have quite mixed feelings about the DLC. The reason I don't play like them mostly comes down to the fact that they stop me from playing paradox games. With strategies I usually tend to wait for the complete edition before I jump in. Well, that is the reason I haven't play much of them. They never end. But, I do like an idea of expanding strategy games. While there are a lot of skippable DLC from what I hear the main ones are must have. I might be wrong, but I heard that this constant expansion is what makes those games so special.

I am not sure if this approach works well for story driven RPG. Even if I love an RPG I might give it couple play through max. One on release, on when expansions come out, maybe one extra if I really really like it with some self imposed challenge, or role play experiment. Little improvements (like encounters!) sure would be nice, but I am not going back to the game just to see extra feature in an otherwise static game.

• Like 1

5 euros for a portrait pack, 7 for a DLC with minor extra content for the base game. Doesn't matter when you get the disease, the symptoms are still there.

I've heard that "extra content" is really just stuff from the base game that's been unlocked or "finished", too. The expansion, Bastards Wound, is supposed to be all new but that DLC...not so much.

Meh, at this point I'd argue that Paradox is as bad as any other publisher out there. They're mostly coasting on goodwill/ fanboyism. I don't really care if Paradox publishes Deadfire though, since I backed directly and they won't get any money off me either way.

What they don't own is Obsidian's tech so it's not like they could give that IP to anyone else.

Pretty sure that tech is just (or 'just') modified Unity and some scripting/ dialogue tools. Someone like Larian could very easily do a Tyranny 2 using the same engine as DivOS/2 if they and Paradox were interested in doing it, and so long as the deal with Obsidian allowed it.

Meh, at this point I'd argue that Paradox is as bad as any other publisher out there. They're mostly coasting on goodwill/ fanboyism. I don't really care if Paradox publishes Deadfire though, since I backed directly and they won't get any money off me either way.

What they don't own is Obsidian's tech so it's not like they could give that IP to anyone else.

Pretty sure that tech is just (or 'just') modified Unity and some scripting/ dialogue tools. Someone like Larian could very easily do a Tyranny 2 using the same engine as DivOS/2 if they and Paradox were interested in doing it, and so long as the deal with Obsidian allowed it.

It's still their tech. Larian might be the only other studio with the proper in-house rp tooling to whip something up like that. But as we've seen even InXile needed to borrow Obsidian's tech to get Torment up and running. I would be hesitant to throw around the word easy in regards to game development. Especially wrt unorthodox practices like dynamically lit per-rendered environments.

• Like 1

I was given Tyranny as a gift, so I haven't given them any money yet, but I *love* that game--I've beaten it five times, and I'm on my first New Game+ right now.

That being said, the DLC situation *sucks*. Big time.

• Like 1

Thread pruned - It is fair to discuss piracy as a phenomenon, but we cannot allow advocating pirating the games that keep these sites and the developers in business.

Anyone who advocates piracy will find their account placed on moderated review.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.