Gunman opens fire on GOP Congressmen

Guard Dog

Story developing: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politics/alexandria-virginia-shooting/index.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4603404/Steve-Scalise-aides-SHOT-baseball-practice.html

So far five people confirmed shot including the GOP House Majority Whip Steve Scalise. The shooter was shot and disarmed by the capital police. Apparently the shooter was targeting Republicans : http://theweek.com/speedreads/705653/rep-mark-walker-says-gunman-targeted-congressional-baseball-practice-kill-many-republican-members-possible

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

pretty ironic

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Guns don't kill people. High velocity projectiles do!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

From what CNN is reporting the shooter was armed with a Colt M4 carbine which is illegal to own in the US. So if true kindly take your sneering arrogance and shove it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It sounds like no casualties, thankfully. Hopefully this gets both parties to tone down the rhetoric. It is way too toxic right now on both sides.

Exactly correct Sir! All the shrieking, poop throwing monkey fights leads to this. People are being told that their fellow citizens with differing political opinions are their actual enemies. This is where that kind of b------t ends.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

You're just pissy because you're scared they'll take away your hobby. Gun-lovers are like nerds who don't want women in gaming. :p

:lol: No I'm not terribly worried about that. At least not for the next three years. It's the notion that "they had it coming" for supporting individual rights that sets me off. I'm hearing a lot of that today. I was hoping for better here.

You would think a gun showed up and did this all by itself.

The direction I saw this conversation going in my head is exactly what Hurlshot hit on.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

From what CNN is reporting the shooter was armed with a Colt M4 carbine which is illegal to own in the US. So if true kindly take your sneering arrogance and shove it.

Probably the civilian version of M4 carbine, i.e. semi-auto. There'd probably be a lot more casualties with the military version. Also, Fake News Central?

It sounds like no casualties, thankfully. Hopefully this gets both parties to tone down the rhetoric. It is way too toxic right now on both sides.

Not both sides, >95% on one side.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You're just pissy because you're scared they'll take away your hobby. Gun-lovers are like nerds who don't want women in gaming. :p

:lol: No I'm not terribly worried about that. At least not for the next three years. It's the notion that "they had it coming" for supporting individual rights that sets me off. I'm hearing a lot of that today. I was hoping for better here.

You would think a gun showed up and did this all by itself.

The direction I saw this conversation going in my head is exactly what Hurlshot hit on.

gun control is one o' the favorite monsters democrats, northern democrats, likes to parade 'bout the town square.  is much lamenting the evils o' gun ownership as teary-eyed hand wringers ask why such violence must continue to be acceptable in 21st century america.  particular after a school shooting, where bodies o' dead children is getting 24/7 news exposure, democrats like to play to the fears o' their constituency. lasts a couple weeks.  maybe a month.

is an easy battle for democrats to fight 'cause is unwinnable. democrats know the gun violence debates is nothing more than sound and fury and they lose nothing by appearing to fight the good fight vs. an increasingly obtuse and heartless foe. democrats won't need to expend any political clout trying to pass meaningful legislation 'cause the Court and republican Congressmen will invoke the second amendment effective making any real gun violence legislation functional impossible. 

am personal in favor o' greater gun control, but am recognizing the 2nd amendment is a highly effective bar to meaningful change to gun control legislation.  worse, the most dangerous firearms, by an incredible large margin, is handguns as they is many times over the most likely firearm class to be used in homicides AND suicides.  handguns is also the weapon least likely to be the target o' meaningful gun legislation. even weeping democrats mourning over the bodies o' dead school children do not suggest taking handguns away from honest and god-fearing americans who wanna protect their homes and families.

*shrug*

republicans don't need to fight, but they do 'cause constituency expects 'em to.  democrats know they ain't gonna have to fight save for on tv and in newspapers.  is a stoopid issue.  is spectacle. use tragedy as spectacle is vulgar, but such is gun control debate in the US.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Probably pissed over that speech Scalise gave to white nationalists in 2002. So much for the tolerant left. Guess we're more spying to preserve liberty or something.

I'd say on one alt-side.

Fake news cuck, the alt-right is a movement of peace.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, it wouldn't be enough to ban gun ownership, not to mention that gun classification just as often has no basis in logic. Banning would just be a tenuous start. In order to make availability go down most of the industry would have to go as well. The same for collectors and re sellers of all sorts. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Probably pissed over that speech Scalise gave to white nationalists in 2002. So much for the tolerant left. Guess we're more spying to preserve liberty or something.

I'd say on one alt-side.

Fake news cuck, the alt-right is a movement of peace.

Lol

@Gromnir: Heller solved the issue for the most part. But the Court has been all over the map on this in the past. In the 1930's they ruled it wasn't an individual right for man facing gun charges because he wasn't in a militia and his weapon wasn't a "militia weapon". In the 1880's the decided the US Government could not restrict gun rights but the states could. But after Heller I stopped worrying about this for the most part. But what one Court does another can undo. So the danger is always there but it's way off down the road if it's there at all.

But I digress. Gun Control is not where I was thinking this should go.

In other news the shooter worked on Bernie Sanders campaign. Sanders is supposed to address the media  about it soon. He's in a tough spot. He is in no way responsible but still has to do the dance in front of the cameras.

Thomas Sowell

I am just hoping he doesn't turn out to be a Megadeth fan

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Gromnir: Heller solved the issue for the most part. But the Court has been all over the map on this in the past. In the 1930's they ruled it wasn't an individual right for man facing gun charges because he wasn't in a militia and his weapon wasn't a "militia weapon". In the 1880's the decided the US Government could not restrict gun rights but the states could. But after Heller I stopped worrying about this for the most part. But what one Court does another can undo. So the danger is always there but it's way off down the road if it's there at all.

But I digress. Gun Control is not where I was thinking this should go.

In other news the shooter worked on Bernie Sanders campaign. Sanders is supposed to address the media  about it soon. He's in a tough spot. He is in no way responsible but still has to do the dance in front of the cameras.

So does Sanders believe in the Revolution or not?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan