Pathfinder Ambassador Program -- Now Available!

> cards i got from chests are not available to me unless i am online

Dev decision, I guess.  Maybe they can explain what/why changes occurred.

I'm not a dev, but I can tell you the most probable reason - it's anti-piracy measure. Save data is easier to edit and "crack" when stored on your local device; that's why - given that the game on mobile had micro-transaction purchases - you could ostensibly just edit yourself a save file with all the paid content unlocked (you would have access to the content data in the hypothesis where it's supposed to be available to you off-line). This is why they keep all paid content server-side, so anytime you start the app - it checks with the servers what paid content there is, and what part of it you're permitted to use.

And, yeah, that gave me a heart attack the first time I opened my gallery and find all my treasure cards missing, without realizing my WiFi was off....

Incidentally, now that the game is on PC where you pretty much buy all or nothing - this system seems redundant, but I don't expect them to change it. Also, this crap is probably the reason why they can't get the game running on GOG (who have a pretty adamant anti-DRM stance, which forced online connection for accessing the content you paid for represents). But hey - if you're not a big fan of owning the stuff you pay for - Steam is always there for you... /rant

Ha, i didnt understand everything you said the first time through, i had to reread it.  So they had to make this update because steam requires all purchased stuff to only be available when online?  Sorry, maybe im still confused.  I am a fan of owning the stuff i pay for.  So should i not be operating on steam?  It is just such a big change, and wifi isnt available to people everywhere, even when in countries with good options.  Verizon works in some areas and some not for instance. So i can just lose my items in the middle of a scenario is a pretty big deal (whether ones in on my character or even the option of finding treasures).  There has to be a way to go back to how its been the past year.  This seems like something they should put in the BEFORE YOU PURCHASE info lol. (Just FYI you wont be able to get any of your items if you are not online)  lol  .......sad thing is ill probably still buy it........or, bring my box set down to honduras from the states.

Sorry, my jab at Steam didn't have anything to do with the issue.

My point was, on mobile they HAD to put premium items in online-only mode, to prevent piracy... Only, now I'm confused because you seem to imply that for the last year you have been having access to Treasures even without WiFi ?!? For me, ever since launch, No net = No treasures , so maybe I've been having a problem all along (in which case - please assume all my assumptions in the post above were wrong)

Yes, i have been able to access my cards offline.  If i bought chests (while at my work with wifi) but farmed for them later at home (no wifi) i could still pick some up.  (unless this whole time my phone connected to a hotspot and i was unaware, lol) That is why i assumed it was a new update with the Ambassador program/merging platforms updates that have been coming through.  Perfect example was i bought that vday special gear (online obvoiusly) and farmed for it (offline) got one of them.  I didnt have tons of time to play this game at work (teacher) so my hours at the school were limited and mostly only had time for purchasing and maybe a round or two.  But if this isnt part of the ambassador program updates, do you think, at least as far as steam is concerned, we WILL be able to access those items?  Or will we still need to be ONLINE to access what we buy?

> cards i got from chests are not available to me unless i am online

Dev decision, I guess.  Maybe they can explain what/why changes occurred.

I'm not a dev, but I can tell you the most probable reason - it's anti-piracy measure. Save data is easier to edit and "crack" when stored on your local device; that's why - given that the game on mobile had micro-transaction purchases - you could ostensibly just edit yourself a save file with all the paid content unlocked (you would have access to the content data in the hypothesis where it's supposed to be available to you off-line). This is why they keep all paid content server-side, so anytime you start the app - it checks with the servers what paid content there is, and what part of it you're permitted to use.

And, yeah, that gave me a heart attack the first time I opened my gallery and find all my treasure cards missing, without realizing my WiFi was off....

Incidentally, now that the game is on PC where you pretty much buy all or nothing - this system seems redundant, but I don't expect them to change it. Also, this crap is probably the reason why they can't get the game running on GOG (who have a pretty adamant anti-DRM stance, which forced online connection for accessing the content you paid for represents). But hey - if you're not a big fan of owning the stuff you pay for - Steam is always there for you... /rant

Ha, i didnt understand everything you said the first time through, i had to reread it.  So they had to make this update because steam requires all purchased stuff to only be available when online?  Sorry, maybe im still confused.  I am a fan of owning the stuff i pay for.  So should i not be operating on steam?  It is just such a big change, and wifi isnt available to people everywhere, even when in countries with good options.  Verizon works in some areas and some not for instance. So i can just lose my items in the middle of a scenario is a pretty big deal (whether ones in on my character or even the option of finding treasures).  There has to be a way to go back to how its been the past year.  This seems like something they should put in the BEFORE YOU PURCHASE info lol. (Just FYI you wont be able to get any of your items if you are not online)  lol  .......sad thing is ill probably still buy it........or, bring my box set down to honduras from the states.

Sorry, my jab at Steam didn't have anything to do with the issue.

My point was, on mobile they HAD to put premium items in online-only mode, to prevent piracy... Only, now I'm confused because you seem to imply that for the last year you have been having access to Treasures even without WiFi ?!? For me, ever since launch, No net = No treasures , so maybe I've been having a problem all along (in which case - please assume all my assumptions in the post above were wrong)

Yes, i have been able to access my cards offline.  If i bought chests (while at my work with wifi) but farmed for them later at home (no wifi) i could still pick some up.  (unless this whole time my phone connected to a hotspot and i was unaware, lol) That is why i assumed it was a new update with the Ambassador program/merging platforms updates that have been coming through.  Perfect example was i bought that vday special gear (online obvoiusly) and farmed for it (offline) got one of them.  I didnt have tons of time to play this game at work (teacher) so my hours at the school were limited and mostly only had time for purchasing and maybe a round or two.  But if this isnt part of the ambassador program updates, do you think, at least as far as steam is concerned, we WILL be able to access those items?  Or will we still need to be ONLINE to access what we buy?

The game doesn't need wifi specifically, just an internet connection. Do you have cellular service at home with a decent network connection? You may have been connecting online this whole time and recently something changed with your network and you are no longer connecting, because as far as I am aware the game has required a connection for any of the purchases as well as some of the other features since day one.

Edited by Sgmendez

The game doesn't need wifi specifically, just an internet connection. Do you have cellular service at home with a decent network connection? You may have been connecting online this whole time and recently something changed with your network and you are no longer connecting, because as far as I am aware the game has required a connection for any of the purchases as well as some of the other features since day one.

Purchases and gold, yes, you always needed a connection.  

But since at least in iOS, the app stays running in the background, your list of treasure cards are kept in memory for a while.  After a good login you can switch to something else and still find/view treasure cards while offline.  If you were quit the app and reopen it without a connection, then they'll all be gone again.

Unless I'm missing something, I can still access my treasures offline as long as I don't close/reopen the app.  Maybe the new app is a little more aggressive about checking connections, or the asmodee/account linking process has potentially changed things, but I haven't noticed a difference quite yet.

• Like 1

I would really like to buy the basic steam product while it is on sale, but would like one of the developers to chime in here to confirm that I will be able to use the "Ambassador code" later once they finalize it. I will be going out of country next week and won't have computer access so really hoped to get this settled before I go rather than miss out on the 25% off.

That's not really the issue. I keep asking the same question and can't get a simple reply: If one buys the basic steam package now, will I be able to use an upgrade code later to get the obsidian upgrade or must you wait for the ambassador code PRIOR to buying the package?

That's not really the issue. I keep asking the same question and can't get a simple reply: If one buys the basic steam package now, will I be able to use an upgrade code later to get the obsidian upgrade or must you wait for the ambassador code PRIOR to buying the package?

All indications are no.  You do not need to wait on the 10% coupon or your Pathfinder Ambassador code.

I already went ahead and purchased the Base game on steam because:

- An additional 10% isn't that much when the game is already 25% off

- Per the first post in they thread, the ambassador code we're getting is just a special DLC pack that gets applied to the Base edition

The only reason to wait for the ambassador portal is if you want to save an extra couple bucks.

Edited by Ethics Gradient

The only reason to wait for the ambassador portal is if you want to save an extra couple bucks.

I dunno, Ethics, that seems a little rosy to me. :) The "only" reason? How about this other reason: there is a nonzero probability that it will take Obsidian literally months to implement this ambassador program. It's perfectly reasonable to wait for it to actually appear before committing $18 on a second copy of the same game.

In my case, the only reason I'm buying the game on PC at all is that with the ambassador coupon it's actually cheaper to get the alts by re-buying the PC version than by paying the price on mobile. I'm planning to make a legendary play-through with six alts. Now, if Obsidian doesn't put together this ambassador program till ****ing October, then I sure as hell don't want to give them $18 now.

• Like 1

In my case, the only reason I'm buying the game on PC at all is that with the ambassador coupon it's actually cheaper to get the alts by re-buying the PC version than by paying the price on mobile. I'm planning to make a legendary play-through with six alts.

Yes.  Very this.  I bought-in for mostly the same reason.  Though, whether or not you wait on the rest of the ambassador program to go online, a purchase right now will get the mobile player access to every single released treasure card.  While the rest of the details get hammered out, I'm fine with having a world of cool new cards suddenly infused into my mobile game.

If you ignore the PC platform entirely and just continue pretending mobile is the only thing that exists, that $18 the "everything under the sun" DLC pack that would have cost an extravagant amount of time/money to acquire on mobile.

• Like 2

If you ignore the PC platform entirely and just continue pretending mobile is the only thing that exists, that $18 is the "everything under the sun" DLC pack that would have cost an extravagant amount of time/money to acquire on mobile.

All right Ethics, I've gotta hand it to you. That is the first truly good argument I've seen in defense of charging for the PC version. My blood, which has been boiling with liquid rage for a few days now, is starting to simmer. Thank you.

• Like 1

Purchases and gold, yes, you always needed a connection.  

But since at least in iOS, the app stays running in the background, your list of treasure cards are kept in memory for a while.  After a good login you can switch to something else and still find/view treasure cards while offline.  If you were quit the app and reopen it without a connection, then they'll all be gone again.

Unless I'm missing something, I can still access my treasures offline as long as I don't close/reopen the app.  Maybe the new app is a little more aggressive about checking connections, or the asmodee/account linking process has potentially changed things, but I haven't noticed a difference quite yet.

This must be the reason, makes sense, because i didnt normally close out the game, just left it in lock mode til i got home.  This makes sense.  Thanks!  Because here where i am now i also defenitely know that there is no hotspot or any connection, so it just have been that it was running in the background. 

To clarify, what will this look like for the game on steam?  Because i will still be in the same boat.  Some days better than others for connectivity.  Will what we buy stay on our computer and downloaded?

Do I have to install Payfab on my tablet or PC to get the PFID that you are referring to?

Nope. The game automatically connects to PlayFab and links a PlayFab ID to your account.

What if I have the iOS game, and have a PFID, but don't see the game under "My Products" on the Obsidian site? Is that explained by the "No products available... yet!" tag on that page?

Edit: Nevermind. I've caught up to the thread now, and I understand that we're still in the "we're working on it" stage. =)

Edited by danglading

How can I tell how much money I've spent on the iOS, so I can figure if I'm over or under the $25?

Well if you bought the bundle is the easiest way to tell.  That cost 25$.  Anything that you bought past that just makes you safer.

• Like 1

How can I tell how much money I've spent on the iOS, so I can figure if I'm over or under the $25?

on your make, go in itunes, there you can in our account see all your expanses, however you'll have to go through all your history..