Pathfinder Ambassador Program -- Now Available!

Sorry, more questions

I thought that I was ready but....

You refer to the coupon code.  What is it?  I can find no product page or reference to a product page by search.

Again, so sorry, but I can't solve this without a bit of clarification.

I think the post mentions that the specifics of how to apply this program will be forthcoming.  This is just to give us an idea of what is coming ahead, but no specific steps can be taken yet.

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

Still unsure how people feel their time or money has been wasted.

In the past year, I've played this app more than D&D and that's saying something.

The feeling of progression is a powerful draw for some - myself included. The feeling of accomplishment, actually quite similar to the accomplishment of 'leveling up' in an RPG - getting access to new spells or abilities, just as in a game you would be getting access to new stories, cards or content. By having played the game on a mobile device, grinding for content - spending time or money, or both - and building our game experience, it can be a shock to some to feel that the effort is being either undone or invalidated by not recognizing the progression, if they choose to switch to the PC product. Most of the progression - either financial or time - is undone in that you must purchase that content (as a part of the static price tag) again regardless.

I am a very active CCG/TCG player, both digitally and physically. In a digital game, if I have spent money or time to develop a collection of a certain size, I would be quite upset if I was asked to spend money purely to utilize my collection - my 'earned content', in how the game presents its progression - again on the same game. 

Pathfinder Adventures is toeing the line between being an equivalent product or not. Because of the (likely quite appropriate) movement from "Free to play" to "Typical product sale (with microtransactions)", and carrying the same progression - sort of - between both products as one merged system, there arrive awkward value propositions to be made.

In my case, as I've said before and I'll say again; besides allowing me to play on my monitor rather than my mobile device (of which I could do via emulator anyway), there is effectively no reason for me to purchase the PC product. As it so happens, I may regardless for a number of reasons, but it is a purchase for content I already have earned, purchased or 'owned' for some time. Whether I had fun or not, I may still complain if I'm being asked to buy the same product again; just as I'd be annoyed to learn that I'd need to buy my car again to drive it in another state. I already bought, registered, and used my pre-existing car, why must I buy a duplicate to fit the same purpose? It's not that I don't like my car, it's that I don't see why I need to re-earn or re-purchase a previously provided and established product.

-----

Personally, I find myself in an awkward situation. I empathize with the reasoning and the direction the game is heading, but I also feel like my previous investments in the game have gone unrewarded. That time to grinding content that will now be re-sold to me, and purchases made (underneath the $25 threshold) that will also now be re-sold to me, unless I overlook the PC version entirely... which I may or may not do. I feel somehow as if the model has unjustly shifted *after* I'd displayed interest and invested effort, like an unspoken contract that has been rewritten after I'd signed and acted by it.

Perhaps its all the sharper to me that I only got into the game within the past two months, if not much less. As a result, I feel like I've RECENTLY dedicated time and money to prepare the game for future use, only to have the progression effectively ignored if I choose to purchase the PC edition, including all of the content I'd already - in my mind - 'earned'. Perhaps I'd feel far more easygoing if I'd done my grinding a year ago, and so I could more easily see this as a "NEW" product to buy.

Edited by Yewstance
  • Like 2

I just want to ask if I am understanding this right:

I bought RotRL and 30days gold on moblie when it first launched (which should be ~35$).

To be able to play on PC at all, I need to spend another 25$.

If I chose to link my account and use the ambassador program, I additionally get the 2 PC DLCs as well as some gold, promo cards and RotG stuff.

Is this correct?

• Like 2

I can understand why some people who payed for upgrades or grinded for gold over the course of the past year may not feel like this upgrade is a big deal. If I was in your shoes I would probably feel like I had gotten my time and money's worth. But, as someone who only recently sent $25 on the app, I can assure you that this is very big deal. I was having a hard time justifying buying the PC version in spite of how much I'm enjoying the game (enough that I bought several decks of the physical game), but this makes it a no-brainer.

Interesting Factoid: My profile picture depicts Belafa cosplaying as Ballos.

As a result, I feel like I've RECENTLY dedicated time and money to prepare the game for future use, only to have the progression effectively ignored if I choose to purchase the PC edition, including all of the content I'd already - in my mind - 'earned'. Perhaps I'd feel far more easygoing if I'd done my grinding a year ago, and so I could more easily see this as a "NEW" product to buy.

Oh, well, guys... Let me tell you a short story.

Back in the 2006 (if I'm not mistaken) there happened a new content release in a game of World of Warcraft. My fellow guildmates were on top of the world by that time, being a few who mindlessly dedicated their real lives for 40ppl raids and endgame classic vanilla content. We were so sellfishly proud, being few in whole the world among millions of players, who were able to hit the roof. We spent months farming every bit helpful stuff, months improving our tactics, months practicing to be a 40ppl single combat unit team, and months diying over and over and over again. And if you think it was nearly impossible... you don't know the half of it.

But hey, the new content arrived... we had to purchase it In order to continue playing, indeed. And In just 1 day all our efforts sImply gone in vain. Because any loot item any new player gets in a couple of days is now way superior to the ones we actually had to literally give our health and own blood for. So we ended up with a ton of junk.

How that sounds to you? Pretty unfair, right?

Around same year, Apple releases it's first iPhone. Which, after a couple of months already being on the market shelves and already in use by costumers, is being reduced in price -100$ (due to the overpricing of some sort, and certain claims). And there were no additional taps, no bonuses, no money back for people, who bought it straight from the release.

My point is... Business makes tough decisions here and there. All the time. And it's Okay, really.

Face it, and think about this Parhfinder PC release as of... a plain PC game release. You've been enjoying PA all this time anyway, you've been using your mobile devices, so why do you even want a platform change?

Look, there's absolutely no change for you, if you just stay at your mobile platform. Keep your stuff, you've earned it either way, it is still there, it didn't become a pile of total junk all of a sudden.

The thing with the PC version is rather simple: there's now a separate PC game, which costs 25$. You don't have to buy it in order to continue your progress. But if you do, there's also an option to get all ingame content for some extra cash.

Personally, I totally get the devs choice.

P.S. English isn't my native language, but Russian is. I'm sorry for any kind of gibberish or bad grammar.

Edited by Raist1in
  • Like 6

So, uhm, what are the versions and their prices actually going to be?

Talking about the base game and the obsidian version is nice and all but I can't seem to find a listing of the prices or content of either one, except for the number 25$ of which I'm not even sure to which version it applies.

I won't get the game on steam but might consider GoG if the price and content of the base game are in a fair relation to each other. After all, I already own all the physical base sets...

Hey there.

The base version contains the following content:

The Game

All Rise of the Runelords Content and iconic characters

One Each Uncommon Card

One Each Rare Card

The Obsidian edition contains the following content:

Base Edition content

Rise of the Goblins expansion (future DLC)

One Each Epic Card

One Each Legendary Card

All Iconic Character Alts

Poog and Ranzak characters

Some Legendary Dice

Pillars of Eternity Promo Cards

Assorted other Legendary Cards

A pile of the new consumables to play around with

• Like 1

This DLC will upgrade a base version of the Steam game to an Obsidian Edition - free of charge.

This is crap.

I wrote and deleted this post like half dozen times, and it's probably for the better because no one needs the stream of invectives  this froth-inducing 'news' made me wanna spout.

So, instead, I'm gonna try to explain it as concise and civilized as I can:

- I wouldn't have liked it, but I would've accepted it if PC version was only available on Steam. Many devs overlook GOG at all, and I can only deduce there are sound business reasons behind it.

- I wouldn't have liked it, but would've understand it if no compensation for mobile users was available at all. In fact, I would've preferred it to what followed; at least, it all mobile users would've been treated the same.

- Getting the game on both Steam and GOG, but offering reparation only to Steam users feel like someone I supported just spit in my face

I've been with the game on mobile from day 1. My money have been on the game on mobile from day1. In the early days, I've been an active member of the community, and -I like to think- a constructive one at that. I'm probably in top 3 users by quantity of reported bugs. I helped new users get around the overwhelming ruleset and the sometimes unintuitive UI.  I never complained about the delays, or stability issues, or bugs - because I know what you have to deal with, and the ungrateful labor the devs had to go through to bring the complicated beast that is PACG to an interactive format.

And for all that, I now get a slap in the face, and being told that -on top of my current investment in the game- I now have to pay "wrong choice of PC store" tax that other paying users don't have to deal with, just because I have the audacity to prefer GOG. I'm literally* being shown that my money spend on mobile is worth less than the dollars of Steam users. (And regardless how YOU see the situation, this very definitely MY perception of it)

I can't believe it, but this 'compensation' actually made me want to buy the game on PC LESS, since shelling out 15$ more bucks than pretty much anyone else on my level of financial (let alone other) commitment to the game is just adding insult to injury - and that would be adding it *myself*, and I haven't really found to have any masochistic or self-humiliating tendencies.

I realize I'm in a minority here (most people are not only OK with it, they *love* them some Steam), so I don't expect Obsidian to have an incentive to fix my particular situation, but I'll say this: GOG is currently running a round of their "GOG Connect" initiative, where a user can 'import' the games they own on Steam into their GOG profile, and where "eligible games are made possible by participating developers and publishers". So I'll kindly look into the possibility of making Pathfinder Adventures available on GOG Connect. Should that be the case, I'd swallow my pride and common sense, and I'd actually get the game on Steam, "just this once" , knowing that I can then peruse it on my platform of choice. Thanks in advance for any effort you might make in that direction.

*not a literal usage of the word 'literally'

Edited by Longshot11
  • Like 7

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

But... guys, honestly... I don't get it.

Why do you bother so much about the PC release, when you actually play PA on your mobile device? Isn't it already the most convenient way to play a digital version?

Would you really prefer to play at-a-spot rather then on-a-go?

Anyone cares to explain this to me? What's the catch?

• Like 2

Why do you bother so much about the PC release, when you actually play PA on your mobile device? Isn't it already the most convenient way to play a digital version?

First off, It's shared content between accounts, so buying the PC version will also unlock things in the non-PC version. Second, Sometimes it's a lot easier to play a card game with a mouse, and a large enough monitor to really appreciate the art. Convenience isn't always what I search for in a game, Sometimes I'm at home watching TV and I just wanna relax. Being hunched over my phone isn't relaxing.

I think is the two-way approach to buying content that is causing disconnects.  Let's just compare from the standpoint of the "Base" RoTR versions:

PC

Buy on PC for $25, and you have all the Base RoTR content, including all Uncommon and Rare Treasure Cards

Can download the game on your mobile device for free and access your content there

Mobile

Buy on mobile for $25 (or via gold), and you have all the Base RoTR content

Cannot go cross-platform for free.  Must spend another $25 to get access to the PC version

If you are just looking to get into the game now, your $25 goes a long way.  If you have been a supporter from the beginning, earning or buying your way through the game, I can see how it seems a little unfair that PC players are getting more stuff for less money and they can go cross-platform without having to spend an additional $25.

The Ambassador Program doesn't looks like it is trying to hand out free copies of the PC game or DLC, it just provides an upgrade incentive for invested players interested in the Obsidian Edition (and all the perks) to pick it up at a little over half-price.

I think is the two-way approach to buying content that is causing disconnects.  Let's just compare from the standpoint of the "Base" RoTR versions:

PC

Buy on PC for $25, and you have all the Base RoTR content, including all Uncommon and Rare Treasure Cards

Can download the game on your mobile device for free and access your content there

Mobile

Buy on mobile for $25 (or via gold), and you have all the Base RoTR content

Cannot go cross-platform for free.  Must spend another $25 to get access to the PC version

If you are just looking to get into the game now, your $25 goes a long way.  If you have been a supporter from the beginning, earning or buying your way through the game, I can see how it seems a little unfair that PC players are getting more stuff for less money and they can go cross-platform without having to spend an additional $25.

The Ambassador Program doesn't looks like it is trying to hand out free copies of the PC game or DLC, it just provides an upgrade incentive for invested players interested in the Obsidian Edition (and all the perks) to pick it up at a little over half-price.

That's Explicitly not how Buying on mobile works though. Have you not read the first post? If you spend $25 on Mobile you get the Upgrade to Obsidian edition for free. So they are handing out copies of the DLC for "free."

That's Explicitly not how Buying on mobile works though. Have you not read the first post? If you spend $25 on Mobile you get the Upgrade to Obsidian edition for free. So they are handing out copies of the DLC for "free."

Yes, you will get the Obsidian upgrade code for free.  But it is a Steam code.  

If you are considering buying the Base PC version on steam, you'll get a 10% off coupon, and the Obsidian DLC free via Steam.

This program is a thank you to all of the Pathfinder community members that have supported us over the past year. Obsidian would like to show its appreciation for your support by giving you an exclusive upgrade DLC for Pathfinder Adventures on Steam. This DLC will upgrade a base version of the Steam game to an Obsidian Edition - free of charge.

That's a question that will have different answers for different people, so I'll summarize some possibilities - some of which apply to me.

- It is the assumption that the game will run much better in PCs, on account of resources available. That there may be less crashing, run faster, shorter loading times, better connection speed. All of these quite desirable, and even more so with people with less-than-top-of-the-line mobile devices. People familiar with the Steam platform (and gaming in general) are much more likely to have dramatically better PCs than tablets or mobile phones, after all. Certainly I'd love to transition from my old and slow device to PC for this reason. The feeling of 'getting a lesser experience/product' is a big turn-off for some.

- Some may believe that future content updates may, eventually, be solely restricted to the PC version. This has not been stated by devs, but the awkward "Free to play" vs "Pay to purchase" conflicting models are going to make future content releases hard to manage, and so there's a lot of uncertainty by the playerbase as to what to invest in (if anything).

- Some prefer hotkeys/keyboard/mouse/scrollwheel to touch controls. I'd say likely a majority.

- Visual fidelity and/or resolution of the game, and/or personal comfort, when sitting and looking at a large monitor rather than a small mobile device.

Also, despite being on a mobile device, Pathfinder Adventures is actually pretty restrictive to play "On the go", as all progression requires a constantly active connection to be maintained. In some countries and on some devices, this may not be a huge issue, but for other countries - such as Australia - reliance on constant connectivity when travelling is a pipe dream, and that's even IF your chosen device supports any kind of mobile data network (which my tablet most certainly does not). In short - not everyone CAN play it 'on the go'.

• Like 3

For me, the biggest draws for the PC version are:

1. Bigger screen/better resolution (just plain nicer to look at)
  2. M/KB controls (the touch controls aren't bad, but nothing beats M/KB in most games for me)
  3. No battery problems (the app eats through my battery like few other games, and actually makes my phone uncomfortably hot to hold after a little while).
  • Like 1

Interesting Factoid: My profile picture depicts Belafa cosplaying as Ballos.

- It is the assumption that the game will run much better in PCs, on account of resources available. That there may be less crashing, run faster, shorter loading times, better connection speed. All of these quite desirable, and even more so with people with less-than-top-of-the-line mobile devices. People familiar with the Steam platform (and gaming in general) are much more likely to have dramatically better PCs than tablets or mobile phones, after all. Certainly I'd love to transition from my old and slow device to PC for this reason. The feeling of 'getting a lesser experience/product' is a big turn-off for some.

I have to disagree.

1. Modern PCs cost much more than a modern mobile device, so chances majority of players have a Top PC and a crap-o tablet/phone are quite opposite.

2. Except for tons of bugs I personally face zero issues with ether lags or connectivity. Crashes? Never heard of, and I play every spare minute of my workday, which is a LOT... What else, Lags? Slow login? 5/7 seconds time ain't that much, my friend. And I'm not a golddigger, I own 200$ Meizu 6 China phone & 6 y.old Nexus 10. I'm terribly sorry if it's not so bright for you guys, might be my pure luck.

3. Steam itself is quite a chubby software.

4. Devs insist on the fact that the game, it's future content and it's updates should be a perfect match across all platforms. If you think that making a Purchase-to-play instead of f2p new Adventure content on a mobile platform is some kinda problematic... I don't.

5. I partly agree on your point reg. mobile data... But the thing is - you don't have to be "Constantly connected".

I know your pain. For e.g. there's no decent network cover in Moscow Underground, and I spend 2h every working day inside. I have to pause the game right before I win the scenario, and wait till I get online again to get the gold... and my other tablet is able to use wifi only, so I have to be indoors... But wait for it... wait a minute... not only you will have to be indoors when playing on a PC, you won't even have a chance to move anywhere else. So... no benefits for a PC version again, from my point of view.

6. Resolution preffs are debatable, since nowdays mobile phones have a tendancy for larger screen options, and tablets are a perfect choice already.

7. "Sitting in front of a large screen" - Yeah, right... I'd rather save my neck and a$$ by changing poses. I'd play a little right before bed time next to my sleeping wife, or play even during a bath... So, again, personally... PC version sounds like a step back. =))

p.s. ThIs should be in the other PA PC Release thread, really.

Edited by Raist1in
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm just not picky but you guys do know you can use Steam and GoG. Sure you can have a preferred platform but if you are getting a better deal with the other use that. On my PC I have Steam, GoG and, god help me, even Origins because of game exclusivity or because the best deal isn't always on one platform. I mean I prefer Target to Walmart but I don't vow to never step foot in a Walmart or cry foul when something is a better deal there. Again, maybe I'm just easy going with this sorta thing.

• Like 1