does your university suck?

Gromnir

https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=least-happy-students

ok, first, this is a list of the schools with the least happy students, and the list only involves those unhappy students at the "best" 381 north american universities.

am curious relieved berkeley is on the list.  

likely is an antiquated pov, but we always felt there should be some pain involved in getting a meaningful degree from a decent university.  should feel like being a cowled wizard trying to take down irenicus.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Education is the only thing that's going to save our species - so I'd rather have the process of learning, and expanding of horizons, to be as 'fun' and as it is 'painful'.. And have as many with a higher degree as possible.

No one learns or reacts to learning in the same way, some need more pain and challenge to let go of harmful misconceptions and illusion, while some need more encouragement and incentive to break away from lethargic habits and stagnation.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Curious that Annapolis made the top 10. I've never heard a bad word about it from the few I knew who actually went through there.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

After beating West Point in the Army-Navy game fourteen years in a row, they must have gotten tired of winning.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I was somewhat close to going to Annapolis. My grandfather was in the Navy and had some pretty good connections, and I met the criteria. I decided to stay closer to home though. I imagine my life would have been very different if I followed that path.

Like anything, College is what you make of it. You can probably have a blast at a terrible school or be miserable at the best.   :shrugz:

• Like 2

Curious that Annapolis made the top 10. I've never heard a bad word about it from the few I knew who actually went through there.

the list is specific 'bout happiness of students. shouldn't surprise.  4 years o' extreme brutal physical and mental challenge and the annapolis "dorms" kinda suck.  the service academies demand a great deal.  am suspecting if the list went to 30, west point would show sooner rather than later. 

keep in mind there is a list for students who love their university and a separate list for happiest students. appreciation for the school is not same as student happiness. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the list is specific 'bout happiness of students. shouldn't surprise.  4 years o' extreme brutal physical and mental challenge and the annapolis "dorms" kinda suck.  the service academies demand a great deal.  am suspecting if the list went to 30, west point would show sooner rather than later. 

keep in mind there is a list for students who love their university and a separate list for happiest students. appreciation for the school is not same as student happiness. 

HA! Good Fun!

Well, the first two years at West Point and Annapolis do suck. After that the lot of Mids & Cadets do improve considerably.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell