I recall Divinity Original Sin was very cumbersome to play on a console, and it was turn based. I can't imagine micromanagement heavy rtwp POE working well on consoles, probably gonna be a nightmare.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

My guess, permanent slow-mode, characters buffed quite a bit, and lot of abilities turned into passives.  BTW, who's talking in the trailer.  I'm surprised they still have a six person party.

I thought that at first too regarding the party size, then I realised the sixth 'person' is Maia's animal companion.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

BTW, who's talking in the trailer.

Sounded like Aloth/Matt Mercer.

Yeah, definitely sounded like Aloth.  Certainly wasn't main man Eder this time.  It could have been Thaos as well, did Thaos and Aloth have the same VA?

BTW, who's talking in the trailer.

Sounded like Aloth/Matt Mercer.

Yeah, definitely sounded like Aloth.  Certainly wasn't main man Eder this time.  It could have been Thaos as well, did Thaos and Aloth have the same VA?

Aloth & Eder did.

One gripe i have from the e3 videos is the desert area. It looks so misty .. i mean sandy. It kinda obscure the vision. I understand that's the purpose but it kinda destroy the beautiful art and effort put onto the details?

This image without being misty/sandy looks much better. Any chance in turning off the sand-storm or something?

Dynamic Weather (Scroll down to Dynamic Weather, under "What's New"), and I think they are "random" as well. They don't give any benefit or penalty, it's just for atmosphere. As I understand it, they might come and go whilst you explore a map, meaning that whilst you are exploring somewhere, it might start thundering and raining, and in other places there might be a sandstorm. Though, I don't know if it'll pass, but you might go to one location at one point, and there's a storm, and the next time you go there, it won't be one.

Remember someone from the Dev team talking about it briefly. Maybe in one of the Updates? *shrug* I remember them saying it'd only be for atmosphere though. Would've been cool with some various effects to it (be it penalty or benefit).

I really hope the dynamic stand storm is just temporary. But it seems in the IGN video the storm seems kinda long. Comparing the picture without the sand storm, the details were so beautiful!.

As for PoE going to consoles.. The main issue isn't the consoles. It's the controller. There are many game sequels (Dragon Age for one), gameplay has to be dumb downed or simplified because of the controllers. That is what meant by "consoles in mind".  100 spells game became 10 spells. Tactical RPG became button mashers. Also the UI and menus have to be designed with big TVs in mind. This often leads to big texts and lesser details compared to games designed to be viewed in a monitor for example.

This has no problem with PoE as the game was first made for PC in mind. As for PoE2 it's really no brainer they will have this design in mind because to be honest, who doesn't like money? And IMHO, reducing party characters to 4-5 characters are the main reason for console ports. PoE going to consoles.. Tyranny will follow suit.

One gripe i have from the e3 videos is the desert area. It looks so misty .. i mean sandy. It kinda obscure the vision. I understand that's the purpose but it kinda destroy the beautiful art and effort put onto the details?

This image without being misty/sandy looks much better. Any chance in turning off the sand-storm or something?

Dynamic Weather (Scroll down to Dynamic Weather, under "What's New"), and I think they are "random" as well. They don't give any benefit or penalty, it's just for atmosphere. As I understand it, they might come and go whilst you explore a map, meaning that whilst you are exploring somewhere, it might start thundering and raining, and in other places there might be a sandstorm. Though, I don't know if it'll pass, but you might go to one location at one point, and there's a storm, and the next time you go there, it won't be one.

Remember someone from the Dev team talking about it briefly. Maybe in one of the Updates? *shrug* I remember them saying it'd only be for atmosphere though. Would've been cool with some various effects to it (be it penalty or benefit).

I really hope the dynamic stand storm is just temporary. But it seems in the IGN video the storm seems kinda long. Comparing the picture without the sand storm, the details were so beautiful!.

As for PoE going to consoles.. The main issue isn't the consoles. It's the controller. There are many game sequels (Dragon Age for one), gameplay has to be dumb downed or simplified because of the controllers. That is what meant by "consoles in mind".  100 spells game became 10 spells. Tactical RPG became button mashers. Also the UI and menus have to be designed with big TVs in mind. This often leads to big texts and lesser details compared to games designed to be viewed in a monitor for example.

This has no problem with PoE as the game was first made for PC in mind. As for PoE2 it's really no brainer they will have this design in mind because to be honest, who doesn't like money? And IMHO, reducing party characters to 4-5 characters are the main reason for console ports. PoE going to consoles.. Tyranny will follow suit.

Console port is not a problem and is not affecting POE2. The team that did the console port was a different dev team from Obsidian and POE2 is not being designed for console port.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162089614411/wtf-poe-on-console-deadfire-is-a-pc-exclusive. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

There's a 13 minutres gameplay video of POE's console version now:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/06/22/13-minutes-of-pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition-ps4-gameplay-e3-2017

P.S. Looks just as cumbersome and slow af as Divinity Original Sin on consoles. I do love replaying PC games on my PS4 just for trophies, but then I remembered Triple Crown Solo...f that :)

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 3

My guess, permanent slow-mode, characters buffed quite a bit, and lot of abilities turned into passives.  BTW, who's talking in the trailer.  I'm surprised they still have a six person party.

I thought that at first too regarding the party size, then I realised the sixth 'person' is Maia's animal companion.

Assuming we can multi-class our companions however we want, I wonder how well walkpathing will work with an all-Ranger party and six animal companions? Not that this scenario is likely.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Honestly, I think the price hike by Paradox and the subsequent anger on Steam is worse than a console port... Those reviews are really bad

I honestly can't believe how janky the whole Steam system has become. Not that it at some point wasn't. But reviews should be based on games, and should not be susceptible to publisher policy changes.

I've never put huge stock into steam reviews, but I know that some people do...

• Like 5

Honestly, I think the price hike by Paradox and the subsequent anger on Steam is worse than a console port... Those reviews are really bad

I honestly can't believe how janky the whole Steam system has become. Not that it at some point wasn't. But reviews should be based on games, and should not be susceptible to publisher policy changes.

User reviews should always be ignored for the most part.  Especially when they involve any IP or company that is known.  If you have to read some you need to dig for the reviews that sound like they were written by someone objective, that focuses on the product, not a business policy, or how they feel about the companies involved, or one specific small part of a game.

Let's not forget all the lovely examples out there proving user reviews are no more (probably less) useful or valid than professional reviews.  Like Mass Effect 3, it still sits at a 5.9 user score on metacritic, which in video game terms means it is a steaming pile of cow poop supposedly.  Despite the fact that it is actually a good game, just the ending upset some people.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 5

Assuming we can multi-class our companions however we want, I wonder how well walkpathing will work with an all-Ranger party and six animal companions? Not that this scenario is likely.

Thinking of all-ranger parties is when I realised one of the reasons they felt the need to reduce the party size, that you have extra companions from other sources that the old IE games did not have.  In Baldur's Gate you could have summons and the like, but not a permanent companion like the Rangers can in Pillars.  While they are not 'full' characters as such, they are still a slot so to speak and if you have more than one ranger in the group, like the all-Ranger party you mentioned, you can get a rather large group trundling around.  So maybe that's one of the reasons they reduced the party size?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Nothing yet. We may see something at PC Gaming Show and/or if Obs is presenting the game to press, some interviews/write-ups.

There is also something about @TyrannyGame to be revealed at 13th, prolly a DLC/expansion.

What was revealed about @TyrannyGame is how to introduce gamebreaking bugs and still not fix them 10 days later :p

As though finding the root cause of a bug, developing a fix, and testing said fix was a 10-minute exercise...

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Son, that's exactly what I said on Paradox's forums to calm down the raging kids.

I happen to work in the sector so yeah, I should know.

The problem here is the dev has identified the root cause but has stopped communicating on the topic altogether.

To give you some perspective, the bug causes tooltips to cease functioning entirely.

No more mousing over the combat log to see rolls, over words to see their lore entry, over spell sigils to see their use and bonii, over items to decide whether to sell them or not, or over buffs and debuffs to see what they actually do.

I don't mind overmuch here, I've played the game enough that I know my spells.

I'm still impacted but to a lower extent.

Now new players though, those who bought the game following the update, are getting massively impacted.

The least the community manager could do is tell whether this is going to be hotfixed in the coming days, or included in a bundled patch 3 weeks from now.

That this kind of bug made it through QA is hard enough to defend (again I should know, I got flamed for defending OBS), the absence of further communication is undefendable entirely.

User reviews should always be ignored for the most part.  Especially when they involve any IP or company that is known.  If you have to read some you need to dig for the reviews that sound like they were written by someone objective, that focuses on the product, not a business policy, or how they feel about the companies involved, or one specific small part of a game.

Let's not forget all the lovely examples out there proving user reviews are no more (probably less) useful or valid than professional reviews.  Like Mass Effect 3, it still sits at a 5.9 user score on metacritic, which in video game terms means it is a steaming pile of cow poop supposedly.  Despite the fact that it is actually a good game, just the ending upset some people.

Well, Mass Effect 3 was a stinker. The ending was just a cherry on top of this mess. I mean it wasn't horribly broken, but that's only because it was building on top of pretty solid foundations.

And scores are stupid.

• Like 2

The least the community manager could do is tell whether this is going to be hotfixed in the coming days, or included in a bundled patch 3 weeks from now.

That this kind of bug made it through QA is hard enough to defend (again I should know, I got flamed for defending OBS), the absence of further communication is undefendable entirely.

They did not stop communicating, the tooltip patch releases in a few days. 

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.