So what do you want me to acknowledge? It doesn't sit well with me imagining a priest fighting with a dagger, which doesn't have anything to do with anyone from making such characters. Do I HAVE TO be comfortable with it?

Yes. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png

Nah, I'm not arguing about your personal preference, just that it isn't *wrong* per se is all.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

So what do you want me to acknowledge? It doesn't sit well with me imagining a priest fighting with a dagger, which doesn't have anything to do with anyone from making such characters. Do I HAVE TO be comfortable with it?

I think the point being driven at is that, irregardless of how you personally feel about it, it isn't necessarily "wrong" to do and it isn't "bad" for somebody to do within the game, in a purely objective sense.

• Like 2

If it's any consolation, my post wasn't trying to convince you of how awesome daggers are and why every priest and paladin should wield nothing else. I just can't help jumping in on these historical arms and armour conversations.  I have no desire to change your mind regarding daggers.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Now I really have to wonder if any of the changes in PoE 2 to party size, casting, interface, etc. were made with a future console port in mind.

I am yet to see a single change which would indicate that.

I don't own a console :-(, but I have to wonder how playable PoE will be with a gamepad. With so many skills and spells It could be a nightmare.

One gripe i have from the e3 videos is the desert area. It looks so misty .. i mean sandy. It kinda obscure the vision. I understand that's the purpose but it kinda destroy the beautiful art and effort put onto the details?

This image without being misty/sandy looks much better. Any chance in turning off the sand-storm or something?

pillars-deadifre_desert-temple-100726115

Here's the misty/sandy picture:

sandy.png

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Now I really have to wonder if any of the changes in PoE 2 to party size, casting, interface, etc. were made with a future console port in mind.

without blindly defending obsidian like many here, i would say who hates money? if i'm obsidian myself i would probably do the same. heck i will port it to as many platform as possible as long as it's money. it's a sad fact that happens to many RPG games that start awesome on PC and turn to garbage just to appeal to the console crowd. Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2 / Inquisition are very good examples. The sequel are no longer tactical but made for consoles button mashing.

One gripe i have from the e3 videos is the desert area. It looks so misty .. i mean sandy. It kinda obscure the vision. I understand that's the purpose but it kinda destroy the beautiful art and effort put onto the details?

This image without being misty/sandy looks much better. Any chance in turning off the sand-storm or something?

Dynamic Weather (Scroll down to Dynamic Weather, under "What's New"), and I think they are "random" as well. They don't give any benefit or penalty, it's just for atmosphere. As I understand it, they might come and go whilst you explore a map, meaning that whilst you are exploring somewhere, it might start thundering and raining, and in other places there might be a sandstorm. Though, I don't know if it'll pass, but you might go to one location at one point, and there's a storm, and the next time you go there, it won't be one.

Remember someone from the Dev team talking about it briefly. Maybe in one of the Updates? *shrug* I remember them saying it'd only be for atmosphere though. Would've been cool with some various effects to it (be it penalty or benefit).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

There are apparently no plans to release Pillars 2 on console.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162089614411/wtf-poe-on-console-deadfire-is-a-pc-exclusive#notes

That's really going to hurt PoE 1's sales on consoles. Not much point in playing the first half of a series when the next part is exclusive to a different platform.

Even if Paradox doesn't end up publishing the PC/Mac/Linux releases of Deadfire, they might publish console ports. I don't think Obsidian would be opposed to that.

• Like 1

I'm pretty curious as to how the port will be done. I can't imagine how a party RTwP combat would translate to a console controller, but we'll have to see what they came up with.

Probably some clean way to cycle through your party, companions spells, and then enemies. Then probably some way to position your party more cleanly.

I could imagine engagements/interrupts being rather cumbersome to handle though.

As long as the game has pc priority I don't care about console ports. If they want to make more money good for them and let their teams figure out how to program the controls :p

I can't find the problem either. As long as the game is made for pc, I don't mind a port at a later time. It's cool that a larger audience will get to enjoy PoE, and they will even get a complete and patched version from the get-go. What's not to like? 

• Like 3

I can see a console version running Diablo-esque and such in simple exploration. In Combat you'd instead getting "Locked-On" and switch between targets.

Pressing the controller equivalent of Pause could allow you to switch between main controlled unit/character, or simply a sort of Menu based gameplay interface with directional buttons. Quick switch between characters with L2 and R2 or something (L1 and R1 maybe even).

With a PS4 controller, press Triangle to pause and gain control of UI interface (bottom left), you'd choose spells and such with directional buttons, confirm spell with X, get target reticles controlled with right analog stick (if AOE, if targeted spells, back to "Locked-On" mode). Press X to execute command and then resume play, sort of.

It's doable, just lots of logistical controller mapping to go through (headaches). Maybe some more Auto-Pause helpers and more Menu based play (Like an old time ATB Final Fantasy game somewhat) could manage it nicely. Positioning characters in combat would probably be the biggest challenge.

I'll probably get it in the future regardless (don't own a PS4 yet, waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3).

I don't see a problem with Deadfire eventually being ported to consoles, honestly, it probably will (in 2020, unless Pillars 1 is super popular/appreciated/good sales on consoles, then probably sooner). It'd be cool if it did well :D

Edited by Osvir

There are apparently no plans to release Pillars 2 on console.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/162089614411/wtf-poe-on-console-deadfire-is-a-pc-exclusive#notes

That's really going to hurt PoE 1's sales on consoles. Not much point in playing the first half of a series when the next part is exclusive to a different platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haWRUpPw_tI

the first part were also exclusive to a different platform.  sure, it may seem as if poe were released yesterday, but were march 2015. am doubtful this news, which ain't actual news, affects anybody.  if poe 2 sells well enough, there is a possibility somebody will port it to console, and seems likely such a port will not become available until years after poe2 release.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)