The negatives in the vid for me was running seemed weird & weirder on some characters and combat music overpowering every other sound effect.

What do you mean the running seemed a wierd and wierder on some characters? It did seem rather syncronized at times.

Animations. When they enter a settlement and run to chieftains house look at the characters, some looked weird, Aloth's running were even weirder.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean with Aloth, his running gait speed doesn't match the others, or rather, the stride is much shorter.

The negatives in the vid for me was running seemed weird & weirder on some characters and combat music overpowering every other sound effect.

What do you mean the running seemed a wierd and wierder on some characters? It did seem rather syncronized at times.

Animations. When they enter a settlement and run to chieftains house look at the characters, some looked weird, Aloth's running were even weirder.

Oh yeah, I see what you mean with Aloth, his running gait speed doesn't match the others, or rather, the stride is much shorter.

It might be a bug, or maybe different races have different running animations? Aumaua and humans looked the same to me though, idk

Aw yiss.

Just watched the interview. As said above, not much we didn't know, but it's good to see the game already up and running. Visually it looks amazing. There seems to be a vast improvement on models, effects and, above everything else, lightning effects. I know it has been said a lot, but it just looks awesome.

The map looks good too, and the watercolor portraits blend really well with the dialogues, although I'm not a fan of the old companions portrait change.

Not much else to say. I was expecting more info after the long period of update deprivation, but it looks like they don't want to get into detail, at least for now. I guess we'll have to wait.

• Like 1

They should make the bird perch on Maia's shoulder when out of combat and not moving & when moving it should fly over head. And it should attack from above the characters instead of taking horizontal space. I'm assuming they are making it the current way cos of selection circle overlap, why not make characters 3D selectable? They are 3D.

That would be cool. Maybe an option to treat a pet companion differently than partying companions. Where you can have the bird perch or at least "stay clipped" to Maia's side more or less. But also just shove the bird into the normal party formation as they are doing now if you are so inclined.

But this is a mostly cosmetic thing, it's kind of fun to think this bird is as much of a team member as anyone else and can operate independently of Maia. I doubt there would be any rp writing that would specify the bird as being a war pet or an animal friend, so the player could probably just choose what setup they most prefer.

They should make the bird perch on Maia's shoulder when out of combat and not moving & when moving it should fly over head. And it should attack from above the characters instead of taking horizontal space. I'm assuming they are making it the current way cos of selection circle overlap, why not make characters 3D selectable? They are 3D.

That would be cool. Maybe an option to treat a pet companion differently than partying companions. Where you can have the bird perch or at least "stay clipped" to Maia's side more or less. But also just shove the bird into the normal party formation as they are doing now if you are so inclined.

But this is a mostly cosmetic thing, it's kind of fun to think this bird is as much of a team member as anyone else and can operate independently of Maia. I doubt there would be any rp writing that would specify the bird as being a war pet or an animal friend, so the player could probably just choose what setup they most prefer.

I mean why it is a bird if it won't operate any different than a walking animal companion? Taking up space, not flying more than 1 meter above ground... maybe it'll be an effective scout and might have special uses in scripted interactions tho.

I mean why it is a bird if it won't operate any different than a walking animal companion? Taking up space, not flying more than 1 meter above ground... maybe it'll be an effective scout and might have special uses in scripted interactions tho.

And if you're out of supplies, you can always cook it!

• Like 1

It's the sort of thing I'm willing to suspend of disbelief for. But as far as the little things and making nitpicks, it'd be cool to see it done that way.

Is that idol/statue of a polpovir with boobs? The description of the head, which matches that of a deep sea anglerfish, fits, but um... not sure if those round things are supposed to be boobs or bowls filled with something. Could also be extremely simplified lobstercrab claws, but that's not in the polpovir description. Edit: Actually, the description doesn't say anything about the hands/claws, if it has any. In it's current state though, it looks more like someone stuck an anglerfish head on top of a Venus figurine than a polpovir.

@Devs, wanna comment? lol

And the reviewers thought Maias companion was a pet parrot of some sort, I guess they didn't explain that to the reviewers. The devs would probably want to check on that for accidential misinformation. Though it's funny that they thought it was a parrot rather than some sort of exotic bird of prey, which generally aren't brightly colored.

Edited by smjjames

Is that idol/statue of a polpovir with boobs? The description of the head, which matches that of a deep sea anglerfish, fits, but um... not sure if those round things are supposed to be boobs or bowls filled with something. Could also be extremely simplified lobstercrab claws, but that's not in the polpovir description. Edit: Actually, the description doesn't say anything about the hands/claws, if it has any. In it's current state though, it looks more like someone stuck an anglerfish head on top of a Venus figurine than a polpovir.

@Devs, wanna comment? lol

And the reviewers thought Maias companion was a pet parrot of some sort, I guess they didn't explain that to the reviewers. The devs would probably want to check on that for accidential misinformation. Though it's funny that they thought it was a parrot rather than some sort of exotic bird of prey, which generally aren't brightly colored.

In the ign video they did correct the host about what the difference is between pets and animal companions. They also mentioned that pets have mechanical bonuses

And you can 'hide' pets. So essential they seem to be a trinket of "moral support."

I guess we can confirm that Obsidian supports and advocates for Emotional Support Animals. Progressive ever since Minsc in BG1.

• Like 1

Is that idol/statue of a polpovir with boobs? The description of the head, which matches that of a deep sea anglerfish, fits, but um... not sure if those round things are supposed to be boobs or bowls filled with something.

That's an old screenshot that was recycled from a previous interview article (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-26-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-announced). If memory serves, it's a statue of Ngati (Ondra as she is known by the Huana).

And those are boobs, not bowls. Per https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&pagenumber=82&perpage=40 (search for "Rope Kid" - Sawyer's SA handle), the Huana associate Ondra/Ngati more heavily with fertility, and the statue is even identified as "their angler fish-headed take on the Venus of Willendorf".

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Is that idol/statue of a polpovir with boobs? The description of the head, which matches that of a deep sea anglerfish, fits, but um... not sure if those round things are supposed to be boobs or bowls filled with something.

That's an old screenshot that was recycled from a previous interview article (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-26-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-announced). If memory serves, it's a statue of Ngati (Ondra as she is known by the Huana).

And those are boobs, not bowls. Per https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&pagenumber=82&perpage=40 (search for "Rope Kid" - Sawyer's SA handle), the Huana associate Ondra/Ngati more heavily with fertility, and the statue is even identified as "their angler fish-headed take on the Venus of Willendorf".

Not sure why they recycled an old screenshot (maybe the same reason everybody recycles old screenshots), but okay, didn't know that about the statue. Seems my final analysis was just about correct.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/06/15/pillars-of-eternity-2-gameplay-walkthrough-ign-live-e3-2017

After watching it again, this seems intentional; might be certain type of running or for Aloth only. Still there is some sliding going on which is too apparent at the Golem fight, other small slides also seem intentional to open space for other party members.

Gamespot write-up: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-is-more-adv/1100-6450985/

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 1

Wow...

This looks F'n amazing! In my opinion, it makes the first look very. .. dull - as it should, right?

I didn't even know they were at E3, thanks for this :)

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The E3 demo/interview was so amazing. The first game looks dull and lifeless in comparison!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I remember when they first showed PoE1 in action, they had that dynamic lighting, the moving stream, and blowing grass. Well some of that made it into the game, not so much the moving foliage. But yeah, Deadfire really turns that up to 11. The world just looks so much more alive.

Also everyone, take a second look at the wake behind the ship. Hnnng. Perfection!

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of the new portraits for the returning characters. Aloth is ok, but Eder and Pallegina are a downgrade by my estimation. The original portraits just had a lot more personality to them, I think.

The paper dolls are a gigantic upgrade. They look vastly better.

• Like 6

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: