RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

For my ears, japanese voice acting is always terrible.

Oh god, that voice acting is terrible. Hopefully there will be an option for Japanese voices with subtitles, because I generally can't tell when Japanese voice acting is terrible.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese voice-acting (the timbre of voices they tend to use for Japanese dubs as well as the inflections specific to the language are usually pretty jarring to me), but, I mean, it's gotta be better than that garbage.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh god, that voice acting is terrible. Hopefully there will be an option for Japanese voices with subtitles, because I generally can't tell when Japanese voice acting is terrible.

I'm not a big fan of Japanese voice-acting (the timbre of voices they tend to use for Japanese dubs as well as the inflections specific to the language are usually pretty jarring to me), but, I mean, it's gotta be better than that garbage.

When I was in college I watched a lot of anime, always subtitled, and I never really encountered any voice acting that bothered me.  Haven't played a lot of games with Japanese VO (I'm not sure I've played any, tbh) but even what I'm told is bad Japanese VO doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as bad English VO.  I think not having a clue what they're actually saying (or how it should really sound) makes it less noticeable for me.

It is. And I'd honestly rather have bad english voice acting like in Sonic Adventure than good Japanese voice acting. When ever I hear the usual Japanese voice overs I think of Godzilla. For some reason it always just sounds obsolete but tbh, American voice actors are exceptional these days anyway... so I'm not all that worried.

The English voice overs in the trailer definitely don't sound bad, not sure about the Japanese voices for the game.

Like I said, my only critique is with the art style of the graphics. So far everything else looks or appears to be better than the original.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

When I was in college I watched a lot of anime, always subtitled, and I never really encountered any voice acting that bothered me. Haven't played a lot of games with Japanese VO (I'm not sure I've played any, tbh) but even what I'm told is bad Japanese VO doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as bad English VO. I think not having a clue what they're actually saying (or how it should really sound) makes it less noticeable for me.

Yeah, that makes sense, and I'd agree with it for most other languages...except Japanese. :p Every time I've ever heard a Japanese dub of something, my feeling has basically been, "These voices don't fit these characters in the slightest, and they just sound like total dorks." I remember comparing the Japanese and English dubs of a DBZ episode against the Abridged voices a few years ago, and being a little annoyed that Frieza just didn't really have quite the right timbre or menace in the English dubs...and then I listened to the Japanese version and was just blown away by how utterly ridiculous he sounded. Japanese voice-acting just doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I kind of grew out of anime because most of it is drivel, but when I did watch it it was almost always with Japanese va. I think the emotional energy and tone just lined up better. Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, and Ghibli films are the only ones I really enjoyed in English, and I actually prefer those that way. I agree about not really being able to perceive when Japanese va is bad.

I think it depends alot on what game or cartoon/anime too. Nobody really likes anime screams lol But at the same time if we're talking something weird like a loli or chibi type character, I couldn't see an English va ever fitting that kind of character. It's just for the art style that this game has, it's almost like it was developed for English va rather than Japanese va. Same with Kingdom Hearts 3 which looks/sounds super silly with Japanese va for Disney characters and even Sora but sits well even with horrble English va.

Meh. It's a strange thing to complain about I guess. I'm looking forward to what SoM will offer though and will be getting it somehow on launch. I didn't play the old one and would much rather play the remake personally anyway.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

but on the other hand, who's gonna wanna play a remake that has the most garbage voice-acting added (seriously, watch the video on the Steam Store page to get a "taste" of it - bad voice acting is so much worse than no voice-acting and I'd rather stick with the original just for this reason), and where they replace the decent 2D sprite-work with...that. I mean...c'mon, into the trash it goes. Them fixing up the story/dialogue (mistranslated and cut stuff) would probably be the only draw here. As for SD3, luckily, there is an actual fan translation, which I have not played (and so can't compare to other great fan translations like MOTHER 3), but it's at least something.

I'll wait until i see more videos of it next week, when they'll have playable version in PAX West ( surely something will leak online) to really make an observation about voice acting.

And the SD3 translation is awesome, especially when considering it was made back in the old days of internet. Man now i'm thinking about ZSNES and Snes9x and all the fun times. :(

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

That's fair. ...Although the fact that they put that atrocious line in their launch trailer surely is not promising if you're trying not to assume that it'll be same elsewhere...but hey, a little optimism never killed anybody.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Apparently there was backlash about the ARENA An Age Of Barbarians Story trailer, so the devs released a new, censored version. It still has the gore and dismemberment, but they cut the nudity :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Apparently there was backlash about the ARENA An Age Of Barbarians Story trailer, so the devs released a new, censored version. It still has the gore and dismemberment, but they cut the nudity :p

Lol I seen that!

I don't want to join the "it's not the original so it's not the one you should be playing" mindset like in so many forums I've seen so I'm going to give it a chance and let it be the first one I play.

In my old age, with these old eyes, I would be a fool to choose reading over hearing... even if it's bad voice acting I'll be grateful but hey, I'm in the wrong forum to say such things... ;-)

Edited by SonicMage117

Sounds like they are going back to a lot of the elements from X3 and earlier that were stripped out streamlined from the abortion that was X: Rebirth.  That's great, as I love X3 and still play it sometimes.  Building giant stations and making a galactic trading empire is my jam.  What worries me is that they are still trying to have you be able to walk out of your ship and walk around stations to talk to people and such.  While this seems like a desirable feature on paper, anyone who played X: Rebirth saw how well it was executed last time

It was garbage

Egosoft has never been able to make even mediocre looking character models nor halfway decent character animations.  They will need to improve in this area significantly if they want the interiors of the stations to not completely suck this time around.  What I saw in the video was not entirely encouraging in that regard, albeit that was pre-alpha footage.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks